neuturing needed for disabled puppy?

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
JaynTinks

neuturing needed for disabled puppy?

Post by JaynTinks »

I was just wondering for future reference as I'm considering taking in another dog in future.

My current dogs are neutured ,although this would be after my old girl had passed so she wouldn't be here. it only really applies to my collie. He has had the snip at a young age. After reading research since I think I might prefer to let any puppy mature before giving snip (after 2yr old) for a male.

My question is If I had another young male that I didn't get him the snip early before his 'puppy pass' wore off .. would he challenge my current dog for 'top spot if he went through his teens unsnipped'? .. Would the pup be less likely to challenge him if it was for example deaf and blind, rather than a non-disabled puppy? ..or if it had a physical disability? ..would I be better choosing a female if I wanted to leave another dog unspayed until they were older?

JJ was snipped at 9 months, he's never shown an interest in females and to be honest the dogs he does tend to like to play with are actually male so I did wonder if he would prefer a male companion.... but wondered if leaving a younger dog un-neutured would cause problems?

Anyone here got 2 males?
critters
Founding Member

Re: neuturing needed for disabled puppy?

Post by critters »

I've only ever had 1 unneutered dog, but I have LOADS of trouble when an unneutered adult cat comes into the house. In my world they're spayed or neutered by 6 months or neutered before they come into the house. It ain't worth the bad behavior that results if I don't. I also don't want to be responsible for more lives than necessary.