leg swelling while in cart

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
CandiMalburg

leg swelling while in cart

Post by CandiMalburg »

My dog tito who has IVDD and is in a wheelchair most of the day has recently been getting swelling in one of his legs. This is his good leg. His other leg had the foot amputated because he ate his toes since he is paralyzed. His good foot however is the one swelling. I only notice it after he's been in his cart for a while. His vet told me previously that it seems the cart is cutting off circulation or blocking a duct/gland in that area. I am not sure what to do. I have tried putting his legs in the stirrups on the cart to take off some weight, but it doesn't work.

I am using a cart that was on loan from a rescue group for his particular breed.

Thank you,

Candi
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: leg swelling while in cart

Post by Bobbie »

Can you take him out for a few minutes at least once an hour or so to get the circulation going again? Padding the saddle might help, too, but it depends on how the circulation is getting compromised. After my corgi Candy got a sore from the same thing, (to the bone) I started just making sure he didn't go more than a couple of hours. Even if we were out and he was going right back in the cart, I'd take him out, massage his leg and make sure circulation was good, and then put him back.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CandiMalburg

Re: leg swelling while in cart

Post by CandiMalburg »

Hi, Bobbie!

Good to hear from you on here!

Yes, I can take him out every couple of hours for a break from it. It is padded with the U shaped bars, but I think it's just hitting that one spot under the thigh on his right side.

Thanks for replying!

Candi