grade 3 heart murmur

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
JaynTinks

grade 3 heart murmur

Post by JaynTinks »

As you know I lost my old girl a couple of weeks back. I was wondering if I could give another older dog that may have disabilities/medical issues an home that otherwise may not get it.

I have seen a little Jack Russell, she's about 5 years old so past the puppy and adolescent stage and has a grade 3 Heart murmur but I want to understand what this means before enquiring.

I guess my worry would be she's have sudden heart failure shortly after me getting her and I'd feel bad that I wasn't the right home and she had been more stressed, or she'd inadvertendly had more exercise and I didn't know what to look for.

As you know I use a mobility scooter and also have a Border Collie that gets at least 5 mile run a day. She would be able to hop on and off the scooter platform whenever she needed a rest and I'll get some kind of doggy booster seat or bed to put on it to make it comfier for her to lie (or sit) on as we're going along.

I feel she'd get more variety of walks as I do a different one everyday especially as I use a scooter so she can hop onto to rest at any point without having to be picked up and carried alot or only restricted to short walks to nearest field/round block everyday if that's all she could manage walk wise...and of course have 15 yr collection of interactive dog puzzles so she'd have plenty of mental stimulation for playing in the house/garden, a canine companion as well a human one!

Also insurance wise would I have to declare knowing about the heart murmur even if she currently wasn't on meds and was fit and healthy and would they automatically exclude covering all heart meds if I did. Would they check if I said she was a stray so nothing was known about her medical history but she had arrived fit and active or would they insist she had an examination by a vet first who would probably pick up the heart murmur with a stethoscope straight away, resulting in all heart conditions being excluded?

How much are heart meds in the UK?

I read Hawthorn tincture (or capsules) is very good for dogs with heart problems and can keep it strong and working well, keeping them off meds for years. Or could be used instead of traditional meds that may give more side effects.

Thanks
CarolC

Re: grade 3 heart murmur

Post by CarolC »

I tried to answer earlier but I got a popup on a website I was trying to look at, and when I closed it I lost my post.
Anyway, here is a really good article about the heart.

http://www.vetgo.com/cardio/concepts/co ... ceptkey=45

I am not sure what medication your dog might need eventually(?), but a really common medication is benazapril. That is very cheap. Here (US, not UK) the generic is 30 tablets for $10. Lasix is another common medication for heart problems and that is even cheaper. So even if it is not covered by insurance, it would not necessarily cost a lot. Perhaps you could ask your vet what medication s/he might be likely to prescribe (some day), and whether it is expensive?

I hope you can get the dog. She may be considerably more active than you are expecting...? Have you spent any time with her? I don't know if she would want to hop on the scooter when she is tired, or if you might need to actually chase her down. Jack Russells are so active, like a little circus dog, right? :D Sometimes dogs can have a heart condition and you do not really notice it in their behavior, it can be silent where you do not notice panting or anything like that. I hope you can get a chance to go spend time with her and see if she likes your other dog. She will be a very lucky dog if you can adopt her. If her heart does start slowing her down one day, she will already be in a home with ramps and no steps, and someone who is considerate of her condition. I know you will watch her weight carefully and give her a nutritious diet and appropriate exercise, and take the best care of her. She will be a very lucky dog.
JaynTinks

Re: grade 3 heart murmur

Post by JaynTinks »

According to their site she had been reserved but has also slipped her lead when out with her foster mum so there are lost posters up for her, she's right at other end of the country from me anyway but hopefully the people who've reserved her will be a good home for her if they find her again!