Aggressive behavior

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
Ldropps

Aggressive behavior

Post by Ldropps »

A couple of months ago we adopted a six month old cockapoo. When he was nine weeks old he was accidentally stepped on and his back was broken. We started water and laser therapy as soon as we got him. Last Tuesday he had surgery to repair a dislocating kneecap.

Since we've had him he's had mild aggression- growling at other dogs, not wanting to let his brothers jump on the bed when he's on it and the like. I also have a dog sitting business so new dogs are coming to the house all the time. It would last a little bit, but then he would calm down. We just figured that it was being in a new home and we were working on correcting the behavior via distracting him via treats and then praise.

Since surgery it has gotten much worse. It dawned on me that he is trying to protect himself. The funny thing is that we also just got him a cart. When he's in the cart he's as calm as can be for a eight month old pup. But when he's out he acts like he wants to kill everything.

I'm not sure how to address this behavior. I think it will get better as he heals, but also I don't want him to think he can scare everyone else.

Please help.
- Laura

Mom of Frankie, a yorkiepoo adopted on 12/28/16 at 6 months old. He was stepped on at 9 weeks & broke his back at T12. He has underwent water & cold laser therapy. On 2/9/17 he received his cart. There's no stopping him now!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Aggressive behavior

Post by critters »

Ldropps wrote:A couple of months ago we adopted a six month old cockapoo. When he was nine weeks old he was accidentally stepped on and his back was broken. We started water and laser therapy as soon as we got him. Last Tuesday he had surgery to repair a dislocating kneecap.

Since we've had him he's had mild aggression- growling at other dogs, not wanting to let his brothers jump on the bed when he's on it and the like. I also have a dog sitting business so new dogs are coming to the house all the time. It would last a little bit, but then he would calm down. We just figured that it was being in a new home and we were working on correcting the behavior via distracting him via treats and then praise. Be very, very careful NOT to reward the behavior!!

Since surgery it has gotten much worse. It dawned on me that he is trying to protect himself. The funny thing is that we also just got him a cart. When he's in the cart he's as calm as can be for a eight month old pup. But when he's out he acts like he wants to kill everything. Hmm. Could he stay in the cart more?

I'm not sure how to address this behavior. I think it will get better as he heals, but also I don't want him to think he can scare everyone else. Yes--which also self-rewards the behavior.

Please help.
:slant: Is there any chance he has pain? This is a tough one!!
Ldropps

Re: Aggressive behavior

Post by Ldropps »

Thanks for responding!

I don't think he's in pain. He doesn't react like it when I handle him.

His foster mom said he really liked to play with other dogs and I've seen video of him playing. He's never acted like that with anyone when he's been with us.

His vet wants him to limit cart time until he heals up more. We've been limiting it to about 2-2.5 hours a day.
- Laura

Mom of Frankie, a yorkiepoo adopted on 12/28/16 at 6 months old. He was stepped on at 9 weeks & broke his back at T12. He has underwent water & cold laser therapy. On 2/9/17 he received his cart. There's no stopping him now!