Dog with no tail with damaged rectum muscles cant poop

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
jdauby1968

Dog with no tail with damaged rectum muscles cant poop

Post by jdauby1968 »

I have a doxie that tlost her tail and it has caused her to not be able to poop at times without help and I am scared i will hurt her. Her rear end becomes enlarged and she arches her back and then i know I have to help her. Any ideas on meds that will help with this. When I rescued her she took some meds but i cant locate what they were and have looked all over for them.

anyone else out there have the same issue. I know there has to be something to help her out there.
CarolC

Re: Dog with no tail with damaged rectum muscles cant poop

Post by CarolC »

How long ago was her injury? Is her sphincter relaxed and open (you can see a little poop most of the time) or is it closed tight like in normal dogs?

When she eliminates, are her stools normal or are they dry at the beginning of a bowel movement?

There is a common medication called cisapride (Propulsid). Does that name sound like the medication you had?

Have you tried adjusting the fiber in her diet and possibly a stool softener like lactulose syrup or Miralax?

If her bottom is healed, you won't hurt her. There are videos showing how to help a dog eliminate, but it sounds like you are already doing it?

:welcome:
Ingrid

Post by Ingrid »

What's worked for our paralysed daschund is while holding her over the toilet tickle and or apply pressure around and below her rectum with a COLD wet wad of toilet paper (especially seems to work when applying pressure to her vulva). This makes her feel where to push to have a bowel movement. I've cared for two other paralysed daxis who hadn't had this done previously and for both it worked like a charm and was life changing in their care for their owners. Good luck and hang in there!
Ingrid

Post by Ingrid »

Also: while learning. Lactulose (a liquid you can find in any pharmacy) will help to keep things soft. Ask your veterinarian for dosing.