Dogs: elderly poodle

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
isabel

Dogs: elderly poodle

Post by isabel »

Hi, I am spencer's owner and BTW he is doing wonderful. He walks, runs, jumps, he has almost made a full recovery from his FCE.

I am writing for a friend that has an old poodle, 20 yrs old a rescue dog. He is definitely senile and stays up barking n pacing all nite n then sleeps all day. She has tried holistic meds, regular meds, clothes with her scent on it, sleeping with him etc. NOTHING seems to help. She is at her wit's end. she is a recovering cancer patient and I worry this is going to take its toll on her.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or know of any vets in the south florida area that specialize in geriatric dogs?
Cody's Mom

Re: Dogs: elderly poodle

Post by Cody's Mom »

Hi Isabel,

The symptoms you describe are likely that of canine cognitive dysfunction which is common in geriatric dogs. It is basically canine Alzheimer's. It can't be cured, but sometimes the symptoms can be eased with a drug called Anipryl which is the brand name. The generic is Selegiline. It is a human drug generally used for Parkinson's patients. It is expensive. It does not have an extremely high success rate, but it has helped some dogs dramatically. I think it's worth a try.

I tried it on my beloved Cody and it did not work, but later I learned it was because his dementia was due to a brain tumor, not CDS.

If you or your neighbor could take the dog to the vet, I imagine he/she would be willing to prescribe the Anipryl and give it a try. It won't be an instant fix if it works, so don't give up too soon. If I remember correctly, the dog needs to be on it at least 2 months to know if it is going to help or not.

Hope this helps. Good Luck !!!

Love, Cody's FOREVER proud Mom