is it hyperthryoidism??

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
boobookitty

is it hyperthryoidism??

Post by boobookitty »

my 13 year old male cat louie has always been a healthy cat, lately though, hes had diarhea 3 times a day, at least, most times on the basement floor. he always seems hungry,though hes lost a little weight. hes been drinking more too.
is anybody familiar with this?? is there a home cure?? is it a serious disease? is there something i can give him to stop the runs he is having? other than that hes fine.
ElaynaC
Cindidoxiemom

Re: is it hyperthryoidism??

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I don't know what is causing the diarrhea, but the excessive drinking could be dehydration from the diarrhea, and yes that can be very serious...even deadly. Time to go to the vet!
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi ElaynaC,

My Maine Coon kitty had hyperthyroidism. He ate like a horse, lost a lot of weight, and had a dangerously high heart rate. He did not have diarrhea. He was treated with radioactive iodine and is fine now.

I think your kitty needs to see a vet. He needs bloodwork and a fecal exam. They need to find out what is causing the diarrhea.

I would not give him any medication for diarrhea without asking your vet first. Some human medications can make your cat very sick.

Hope he feels better soon!
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Check for diabetes in Louie as well. Diarrhea, vomiting, and excessive thirst were part of my cat's symptoms when he developed it. We used glipizide for several weeks, changed his diet to all meat, helped him lose weight, and got rid of the diabetes.

Vet can do a blood work for diabetes when he checks for hyperthyroidism. Don't risk home cures at this point. He needs a diagnosis from the vet.

Dianne
boobookitty

Post by boobookitty »

thanks for responding, i will schedule a vet appt. it will be louies first.
ElaynaC
boobookitty

Post by boobookitty »

i also wanted to mention, a close friend of mine, who has a 20 year old kitty, suggests home remedies. it has worked for her cat. she has gotten him through many illnesses this way. she gives her cat chicken, fish and meat. cat food once in a while as a treat. she also gives him vitamins(all-one powder vitamin-1/4 tsp., powdered enzymes, kitty-vite vitamin gel for senior cats,SAM-E 200mg.) which she mixes with real food.
she doesnt believe in veterinarians all that much, saying they are only trying to make money.
any input?
ElaynaC
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

I had promised StarrAncientCat No More Hospitals

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

and that she would never ever go back into the hospital. It traumatized her impossibly. So I sub-q'd her with the help of this board, and smeared food on her for more than 10 days, trying to get her to ingest something, anything.
The doc said she had some time left and sent her home w/the bag and needles, at the age of 18 even tho she was a skeletal bag of fur too weak to stand, sit... So after a horrible experiment to see how long a cat could live without food, I screamed and sobbed every day in that kitchen. Finally told Andy, who was her 'brother' by his own admission, I cannot do this anymore. She will live out her last day or two with you. So he moved into a petfriendly apt. and she made a complete recovery. She was pining for her boy, and my dogs were making her crazy. I also fostered and could have a house full of kittens at any time, getting into her 'stuff' and her room.
She outlived her boy, and is now in Florida.
But no more hospitals for her. She gets a checkup once a year and that's it. She's now 20.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
boobookitty

Re: I had promised StarrAncientCat No More Hospitals

Post by boobookitty »

thank you for such an inspiring true story. i will take it to heart.
ElaynaC
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

boobookitty wrote:a close friend of mine, who has a 20 year old kitty, suggests home remedies. <snip> she doesnt believe in veterinarians all that much, saying they are only trying to make money. any input?
I think vitamin companies make money, too. It is hard to know which home remedy to use when you are unsure what the problem is. You might want to ask people you trust which vet they recommend so you will be sure to get a good one. Good luck!
boobookitty

Post by boobookitty »

i never thought of it like that.....thanks for the advice.
ElaynaC
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

You should take Louie to a vet and also bring a stool sample of the diarrhea---it could be parasites, inflammatory bowel syndrome, etc. but your vet is the one who would be in a position to diagnose that. With hyperthryroidism, cats eat alot and drink alot and still lose weight; they are also quite vocal. The only way to diagnose that is by having a blood panel run with T4. Again I would recommend that you take Louie to a vet for a full physical, blood work, and fecal exam. Diana R.
boobookitty

Post by boobookitty »

thank you, i agree. louie has had this problem for months, if not longer. i was hoping it would go away on its own. louie is very vocal as well, and restless. i still dont know why he goes on the basement floor AND the litter box.
ElaynaC
Marni

Post by Marni »

Hi,

My 15 year old Vizsla Ches has just had a full blood panel because of continual panting and halting gait. He is very much a senior citizen and gets "lost" in our fenced yard. The vet put him on Science Diet Brain Diet dog food and a pain pill, derramax. The vet called on Friday afternoon and left a message that he just got the rest of Ches' bloodwork back and has low thyroid. I'm going in Monday t find out what that's all about.

Anyone have advice on what I need to ask the vet or find out about?

Thanks!
Marni (Simon's mom)