Looking for suggestions for caring for an injured feral cat

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
HDIllon

Looking for suggestions for caring for an injured feral cat

Post by HDIllon »

I have been feeding a feral cat that has an old leg injury for a couple of months now. Today I knowticed that the cat had gotten a nasty puncture wound on its neck. I managed to capture the cat (with out touching it) and aminal control took it to the vet for me. The vet estimates that the cat is 8 months to a year old. The cat should heal fine from the puncture wound, but the vet can't do much for the old leg injury. I do not want to release the cat as he will probably get injured again since his leg hampers his mobility. I am thinking of keeping the cat, the problem is that I already have two cats and because the puncture wound on the feral cat is most likely a bite I would have to keep him seprate from my other cats for six months. While I can keep the feral cat in a seprate room, I feel that he will eventually try to escape when I open the door. I am looking for suggestions for a way I could set things up to keep the feral cat in my house. I have surfed the internet and not found info for this particular situation. I will not be able to directly handle the cat as he is wild and if he scratches or bites me I will need to get rabies shots. The cat will be at the vets for a coulpe of days, by which time I will need to have figured something out.
Thanks you in advance for all sugestions.
hdillon
Christine

Re: Looking for suggestions for caring for an injured feral

Post by Christine »

Hi...and welcome to the board!

Softies of a feather, flock together, don't we? Just this weekend, my husband and I stopped at an interesting looking yard sale which just so happened to be a fund raiser for "For the Love of Cats".
This group finds homes for cats in addition to trapping, neutering and releasing feral cats back to the exact area they found them. Until speaking with these people, I may have attempted what you are trying to do, but they feel that feral cats are seldom domesticated.
I did a search on "caring for feral cats" and what pops up, but "For the Love of Cats" from another part of the country. Knowing nothing more than what you have written, it seems that you are possibly putting your other pets as well as yourself in possible jeopardy by trying to keep the baby in your home.
This board has several cat experts who are both knowlegeable and loving...Bendy are you reading??
Take a look at this link and possibly contact them for more information. You will be hearing from some more of the board soon...in the meantime, please be careful. Sending prayers for your wild little friend.

http://www.tlconline.org/art/0010.html
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

While the cat is at the vet I would have him tested for FIV and FeLV and if he is negative have the vet give him his shots including rabies. That way your other cats will be protected. I have two feral cats in my home that I trapped when they were kittens at 4 mos. old. I tried to see if some rescues would take them, however, it was clear to me that they would euthanize them because they would always be "wild." I kept them in a dog kennel in my house with a litter box and food for a couple months and then let them out in the house. I have had Frannie and Oliver for two years now. They are no problem---they get along fine with the other cats and use the litter box. They are still (and will always be) leary of me but allow me to come close and will approach me at meal time. I hope you keep him; he deserves a good life. Diana R.
HDIllon

Post by HDIllon »

Thank you both for replying. The feral cat is getting fully vacinated and tested as well as being neutered. I had thought about keeping him in a large dog cage, but it seems to me that even a large cage is a small place to keep a cat for six months, expecialy one that is use to being outdoors. How much space should I give this cat?
I am encouraged to hear that some one else has had success turning feral cats into house cats. I know he will never jump up on my lap looking to get his ears rubbed (actually, the cats I already have don't even do that) but as long as he can adjust to being inside so he isn't constantly stressed and I can keep tricking him into traps to get him to the vet when needed I will be happy.
I'm also thinking that I could continue to board him at the vet for a while after he has been officially discharged, but that could quickly get expensive.
thank you again for your replies.
hdillon
HDIllon

Post by HDIllon »

christine-
Thank you for your welcome and your words of caution. Reading back through my previous posts I do see that I have not made much mention to how carefull I've been around this cat. Even when I was feeding the cat outside I was carefull to wash my hands after handling the water bowl. When I trapped the cat I rigged up a dog cage so that I was able to close the door from inside my house and I will be disinfecting the cage before bringing it inside or using it for any other animal. I will also have a thorough discussion with the vet about the risks to myself and my other cats before bringing the feral home and if the risks are too high I will continue to board the feral untill I am confident of minimal risk. I will also be getting booster shots for my cats before I bring the feral into the house. I also have a friend who is an animal control officer in another town and will be talking to him about precautions to take when I need to be in close proximity to the cat (such as getting gloves that the cat can't bite through).
I did talk to the animal control officer in my town about the posibility that the feral cat woun't adjust to being a house cat. She felt that because I was gaining the cats trust when I was feeding him outdoors that there is a good chance he will adjust.
Thank you again for your consern. I do understand that there are people who put their heart ahead of their safety and that the results can be heartbreaking.
hdillon
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm curious why you're wanting to do a 6 month quarantine? Most places, including me, only do 2 weeks. As for ferals, I keep them in a confined area for, say, 3 weeks, just so they learn the feeding time schedule, then let them go. I have a house feral that, to this day, 3 years later, only lets me touch him at chow time. I accept him as he is, and I don't push things unless, of course, it's an emergency. I've never trapped anybody in the house, and I don't own bite proof gloves, catch poles, or the like. A feral may always be a "cat kitty" instead of a "people kitty," but that's OK with me. I take them all as they are and go on.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Any chance the neck wound could be housing a cuterebra? I've seen them in cats and ferrets, and they're a NASTY piece of work. A good, brief description is at http://www.ocvh.com/cow.html?id=14 , and here's a pic of one in a squirrel http://botfly.ifas.ufl.edu/cutrwrb/cutrwrb1.htm .

Sue will write more later, but it was her idea, and I thought you might want to be considering it.
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

First bless you for opening your home and your heart to this fellow. He's a very lucky fellow.

I am confused as to why you think you must keep him quarantined for SIX months? I can't think of anything that will take that long to 'incubate'. Most of us who TNR or make 'house ferals' out of the 'special' ones normally quarantine for two weeks - a month maximum.

You have already been observing and caring for this guy on the outside so you know that he hasn't been exhibiting any strange signs of illness until the 'bite wound' (do make sure that your vet examines the wound thoroughly as critters suggested for that worm). You've had him tested for FeLV and FIV, fully vetted and his rabies shot.

I'd say you are ready to start his 'domestication'. We've been caring for ferals for over 15 years - kittens domesticate quite easily, older kits take a bit longer and even most long time feral adults while almost never achieve 'lap cat' status will come to make good companion 'house ferals' and will accept a limited number of human companions.

You first of all do not have a true feral cat because you have been feeding and caring for him for some time. A true feral would not so willling come up to you for feeding. He has already put some trust in you. The easiest way to start the taming process is to confine them to a cage with a 'perch' inside it so that the cat can get up on top of the perch while you clean his cage. Those little hidey beds are nice too to give him a place of security. By confining to a small area he is encouraged to interact with you each time you approach the cage. There is a feral cat yahoo group that has the most extensive 'how to's' I've seen, not to mention close to 2000 active TNR/feral taming members. You can join, and just lurk, but joining gives you access to excellent archives.

Basically, 'taming' is done by getting the cat used to you, seeing you, knowing your scent and finally your touch. Food rewards and play periods are utilized. You watch their body language and don't force them to go any farther than they are willing - just small steps at a time. By having cats already you are aware of how cats posture - what they do when they are angry, afraid, happy. Undomesticated cats will do the same postures. The caging allows you to keep the cat where he will be readily accessible. Small bathrooms are second best, but once you put them in a regular room there are too many hiding places and areas for him to get away from you and as such taming will take longer, if at all.

Most 'feral' cats will meld easily with an existing cat population (of course after using the proper introduction method). Some that were previously a stray will even become affectionate to you and other family members. Others may never become 'lap cats'. Some will allow petting at feeding time or on their own terms, others may just be 'house ferals' - content that they are living in a safe inside environment, well fed, warm and protected. Most don't even attempt to bolt out doors or windows once they realize that food is good and comes regularly.

Take it slow, don't push. If it happens in two weeks - great. But if it takes longer - just give him time. I've 'tamed' ferals in a few weeks - others have taken several months. Some even after years, are just content to be part of the household. The biggest thing is for you to not be afraid - this the cat will pick up on. I can honestly say, I don't think you have any worries about 'catching' anything including rabies.

Keep us posted on how it goes. /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
HDIllon

Post by HDIllon »

Thank you for the additional info. I made an appointment to have a long discution with the vet on friday and I will certantly question him more about the wound.
The animal control officer who picked up the feral said that for a bite of unknown origin that the required quarintene period is six months. She did give me the impression that she thought it was exessive. I remember that about ten years ago the family dog got into a couple of scuffles with rabid animals and I thought the quarintene was only 30 days. I remember specifically my father complaining that as soon as the first quarintene was over the dog went right out and messed with another rabid animal (that dog was a bit of a slow learner :) )
Thanks for saying that keeping the cat in a cage will encourage him to get more comfortable with me. I hadn't thought of that before and it make me feel more comfortable with the idea of keeping him in a cage.
I did visit the feral at the vet's today. If looks could kill there would be a pile of bodies in front of his cage. He gave me a look that made me feel that he was blaming this whole bad vet experiance on me. Concidering that it was 100 degrees outside today and he was in an airconditioned room, I did not let his looks upset me too much.
Thank you again for all your advice. I will check out the other sites you suggested when I have a bit more time and will continue to keep you posted.
I am really happy I found this site, you are a great group of people!
hdillon
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Hi! Most definitely have that wound thoroughly investigated. You should really call your vet today and have him look - those worms are very serious and the longer he is in there (if there is one) the more damage is done.

If I were you, I'd do my own investigation as to your state/county quarantine laws. It is possible that this is the case. However, anything like rabies is going to be evident way before six months. Some of these laws have been on the books for fifty years and are way outdated. I would think that if this kitty was 'quarantined' in your house and not exposed to any other animals outside your home, this should be fine.

Cage confinement has gotten a bad rap because of the publicity of hoarders and puppy mills keeping animals in cages in dark and filth with no love or attention. However, those of us in rescue make use of cages all the time. We keep them clean and sterilized and the containment to a cage allows us to have continuous contact with the new one, protect them and our other furfriends from illness and possible confrontations. The cage gives the new one a safe place to observe family life and get used to the sounds, smells and sights of their new home.

I'm betting 'the feral' (and he needs a name which you should begin using with all conversation you have with him) is giving you the 'if looks could kill' because he is tired of sitting at the vet and is ready to join his family - LOL.

I urge you to join the yahoo feral cat group - they will have many tips and information on how to integrate this fellow into your family.
/mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas