Dilated eye in cat

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
Mary and Roxy

Dilated eye in cat

Post by Mary and Roxy »

Good Morning Wise ones...
Another day another mystery..2 weeks ago my neighbor "Tiglets" mom and dad left for a 2 month vacation to Italy.She asked me to feed Tiglet while they are away.. Things were going well the first week. Last wed I went over to find him all torn up and bleeding from something he was fighting with.He was bleeding so much I knew I had to take him to the vet, I was able to force him into Roxys carrier..(he's strictly a outside cat). After a nights stay in the hospital, 45 stitches and tubes for drainage he came home..He has been doing great, we went back to vet on Monday and he removed the tubes.. He hasn't been liking it but ive managed to keep him in the house..Today I noticed his right eye, the pupil was bigger then the left..He did nothing today but sleep, go potty and sleep under the coffee table.It was when I woke him up for dinner that I saw his eye..He isn't acting like its hurting him in any way, he ate drank and used litter box. but his one eye is dilated..All the damage from the fight was on his left side of face and neck..I know im gonna need to take him back to vet..my real problem is Hubby I kinda lied to him about the first vet visit and said vet did it for free.. but he didn't, ive already spend a few hundred dollars on Tiglet, and I Know my neighbor couldn't afford to pay..(There both in there mid to late 90's) I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me ..Something cheap and easy they think it is.. We go back to vet next Monday to have the stitches removed..I'm really hoping I can avoid another vet visit till Monday.. Any ideas ????
P.S. Roxy is doing GREAT its hard to keep her down.. Thanks Mary and Roxy and now Tiglet 2
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Dilated eye in cat & CAROLC

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I'm afraid you'll have to make one more trip to see why the eye is dialated. Torn? Blind? Painful? They don't show pain the way that we do.
CAROLC has a ton of financial aid links... CarolC, we need a page for financial aid links :)
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Re: Dilated eye in cat

Post by critters »

Is there any way he could've hit his head? Head injuries can do it, too. You're SOOO great to have done all this! Are you sure Tiglet's parents can't pay you back? I realize they're old, but a 2 month trip to Italy can't be cheap!!
Mary and Roxy

Post by Mary and Roxy »

Wouldnt you know it.. Got up this morning and his eye was still dilated.I figured what good was it to spend the money on him for one thing and not this..So off we went to vet..Its only a 5 minute drive there.By the time we walked in the office his eye was normal.Vet checked him anyway and said he sees nothing wrong..Thanks for the reply now maybeee a idea on how to hide the money ive spent ;o)
Mary and Roxy

Post by Mary and Roxy »

They got to go to Italy for there 80th anniversary..There children(there kids are in there 70's) gave them the trip as a present .Mary (my neighbor) is like 95 and she gets to also see her OLDER sister in Italy..I asked there secret for there nice long lifes and both Mary and Sam say its the wine. They both(and her older sister im assuming)..Each take a few sips of wine thro the day..Im going to try to, not even tell her about the vet visits.I know she would feel like she had to try to pay me back and my waist line wont beable to handle all the cookies she would give me ;o) Anything I do for her she makes me cookies Thanks Critters.. I LOVE this site
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Sounds good. What a nice trip! I just wanted to make sure you weren't being "taken for a ride." :D
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

You're right Karen, I keep thinking the same thing.

Mary, here are links in case you need them again. Uh...maybe a garage sale? Take some old clothes to a consignment shop? Sell something on eBay? Good luck!

http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/ ... read=29448