cat with toxoplasmosis

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
linda

cat with toxoplasmosis

Post by linda »

my friend has a 6 year old cat that fell over and was disoreinted and dialated pupil. the vet ran tests and seems to think it is toxoplasmosis. the cat is not old, he is at the vet now and is sort of un responsive. he is being given antibiotics. did anyone ever have any experience with this, or know anyone who has had a cat that went through this. she is wondering of the outcome.
Christine

Re: cat with toxoplasmosis

Post by Christine »

Hi Linda,

Welcome to a wonderful place for help and support. You will be hearing from some cat experts soon, but in the meantime, here is some information from Cornell University. Good luck to your friend and her baby.http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/resource ... /toxo.html
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Gotta admit I'd never heard of a kitty being sick from Toxo, but it sounds an awful lot like the info in Christine's link. Is he better now?
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Linda,

Six years old is NOT old for a cat. I have 3 that are about 15 years old.

Toxoplasmosis: "Although cats infects with Toxoplasma *rarely show symptoms of Toxoplasmosis*, there have been cases in cats associating Toxoplasmosis with pneumonia, liver damage, and loss of vision. Why some cats show symptoms and other cats do not is not known. Concurrent infection with other diseases (feline leukemia, FIV) can aggravate Toxoplasmosis in cats. Treatment can be effective if the disease is diagnosed early. A blood test for Toxoplasma antibodies helps in diagnosis of Toxoplasmosis in sick cats."

http://www.avma.org/communications/broc ... ochure.asp

I've had a positive titer for toxoplasmosis, and didn't even know that I had it. Apparently, few cats show symptoms of this disease.

Dianne
linda

Post by linda »

thanks all for info on the toxoplasmosis. the cat is doing so much better. he was in the vet for about 3 days. at that time he wasnt standing, had a dilated pupil and was very out of it. i went to see him when she brought him home. she said he was on iv and antibiotics at the vets office, and has to be on them now. i didnt ask what type of anti it was. but luckily hes better. i never heard of a cat getting it until now. i had heard pregnant women can get if hands are not washed good after litter box cleaning and pass it to the baby. thanks evryone who responded. also, its been 3 wks since we had our sydney put to sleep, gosh almost a month. things are easier but still miss her so much. take care. thanks
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Linda,

I didn't realize I was replying to Sidney's mom before. Our new board makes it seem like we're all new! Glad things are getting a little easier for you. It will take time, but soon you will be remembering more of the good times and funny things and precious things and find that peace knowing that she is whole and happy and waiting for her family. Take care.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08