A Possible Toxicity

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
Dohnny

A Possible Toxicity

Post by Dohnny »

My question is about the possible toxicity of a particular food given to a dog.

I have a young female Newfoundland who is a very picky eater, but greatly enjoys dried cranberries.
She has been receiving them, but I worry that they may be harmful, and fall into the category of raisins
I would appreciate anyone’s thoughts, and ideas…

Dohnny
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: A Possible Toxicity

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I am googling cranberry toxic dog in another window and see several sites which make a 'cranberry relief' for dogs. If I were you, I'd hold off until I talked with vet to make sure.
Possibly there is a process in the manufacture of the 'relief' that removes any toxicity, I really don't know.
They do indicate that the berries can cause obstruction, so maybe you want to mash them first. Also, cranberry is used as a cleanser, so it may be rough on intestines.
They also say don't use with diabetic dog...
Not that any of these are answers, but I'd hold off until you get further info...
:D
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I will share with you that Oscar, my paralyzed pupper, takes cranberry pills to help stave off urinary infections. I have never heard of cranberries being poisionous to dogs...I wouldn't give too much of anything to him however.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Dohnny

Thank You

Post by Dohnny »

Thank You…
Dohnny’s Vet will be consulted as to the benefits, and the possible cautions with the uses of Cranberries.
She has had her own particular difficulties with the digestive tract, and drinks a small amount of milk daily for the smooth and orderly bowel activity.

I believe that a lot can be learned while listening to small children, and dogs.
Their unspoken words are often the wisest.

Dohnny
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I just found this while I was looking for something else. http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/ I didn't look specifically for cranberry, but it's my best shot.
Christine

Post by Christine »

A friend of mine owns a health food store, is an animal lover and also has a degree in nutrition. I asked her about dried cranberries for dogs. She said that both cranberries and grapes have high levels of pesticides - that is the reason we are warned about feeding our pets raisens. She also said that when they grind up cranberries for medicinal purposes, the pesticide levels are checked so that these supplements are not dangerous. I was not happy to hear about the cranberries as I really love them myself. I am sure there are probably organic brands on the market, if your vet gives you the go ahead. I would like to hear more of your research on the subject.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Christine wrote: She said that both cranberries and grapes have high levels of pesticides - that is the reason we are warned about feeding our pets raisens. She also said that when they grind up cranberries for medicinal purposes, the pesticide levels are checked so that these supplements are not dangerous.
Organic grapes and raisins may be poisonous as well.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp They're not exactly scholars, I don't think, but I don't have time to dig up more right now.
Dohnny

Post by Dohnny »

Critters, thanks for your time, and the link.

We have found the same information in our search, and combined with the consultation with my vet, Dohnny will continue to receive cranberries in limited proportion, and as a treat.

I’ve been told that the properties of cranberries and raisins are not the same, and the cranberry has proven itself valuable with urinary issues.

The levels pesticide will always remain an issue with the production our foods and the food of our best friend.
With that in mind, we all have some choices to make.

I want to thank all who has responded to my questions.
Dohnny is my gold, and I am very careful with everything that is around her.
Thanks

Dohnny