my puppy is getting stressed out

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
Anna

my puppy is getting stressed out

Post by Anna »

Hi,
My dog always had some level of separation anxiety or just general anxiety. Once in a while he would get panic attacks and even try to escape. A month ago he escaped through a second story window and ended up paralyzed. Now that he is home, his anxiety seems to be getting worse and worse every day. I try giving him the anti-anxiety treatment I did before and he still can't calm down. Not surprisingly, because he is so helpless now, he freaks out the most when I try to leave him home alone. He can't walk so he bangs his head on the floor! has anyone else gone through this? anything you recommend to treat intense anxiety?? He's been on different meds and most don't help. I give him the homeopathic stuff from homeopet and that helped before but his anxiety is super intense now. please help! I am worried about my dog's safety and happiness... thanks, Anna
Christine

Re: my puppy is getting stressed out

Post by Christine »

Hi Anna,

So sorry about your boy..he sounds like he is so frustrated with his situation right now and I know you are too. My Bailey has separation anxiety and I can give you some things we do for you to think about. There are many others here who deal with paralysis who will be along soon with help.

Since he has become paralyzed, do you have to express him or is he urinating on his own? If you have to express him and are not able to get everything, this will be causing him both mental and physical problems this is where the others will help soon.

Have you told the vet what is going on with him right now? What does the vet say about his prognosis? Depending on the diagnosis, crate rest is sometimes recommended which brings me to the first possible suggestion regarding the anxiety.

When you are gone, you might put him in his own familiar area with something soft covering the floor area. Put something in with him with your scent on it. Many times, a smaller space can make them feel more secure. Leave a tv or radio on...make a tape of you talking to him, soothing him, saying familiar things and leave it playing while you are gone (there are loop tapes, that will play continuously), leave a light on so he is not in the dark.

Try not to make a big deal about leaving that triggers him that he will be alone and you won't be there. Try to keep an upbeat attitude around him, our babies pick up on our emotions and make them their own.

Sit tight and wait for more help on the paralysis which just may take care of the other - I can't help thinking he wants to tell you something and these people will help you figure out what it is. Please take care.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Have you tried the biggies? Ace, Valium, etc? He might need something that strong to get over this hump.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

What kind of dog do you have? Have you read Marley & Me by John Grogan...if not..go get it today. It sounds like you have a dog very similar to the dog in the book.

Do you only have one dog? My Sage was VERY destructive and had HORRIBLE seperation anxiety the first year I had her. She ate sofas, chewed sheetrock and basically destroyed anything she could. I got a second dog and she never chewed or destroyed anything again! Dogs are pack animals. If humans are their pack, and they leave to go to work etc...anxiety can set in. I know it sounds crazy, but a second dog MIGHT help.

Can you describe your dogs condiditon in depth. What kind of control does he have...can he use his front legs? Bowels?
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
connie

Post by connie »

hi, the first week after i adopted cricket, he tore everything he could get his teeth and paws on. vet said it was that he was abandoned and i had to leave and work. i went through just about what you did. they suggested a kong.(bought at pet-co) i filled it with food, he spent hours getting it out. plus i had neighbors stop in to visit once in a while. it took months, but finally he settled down. hope this helps.
but i would take care of paralyzis first. what does vet say about that? update us please.
your in my prayers. i know how stressed out it can be, i came home to a wrecked home for months. even now when i get ready for work, he grabs my pants legs and tugs me , it breaks his heart. be firm, but gentle.
hugs,
connie and cricket
Christine

Post by Christine »

Anna, how are things going with your boy?
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08