cat with nerve damage...

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
noturstar

cat with nerve damage...

Post by noturstar »

I really was'nt sure where to post or maybe Im just confused with the whole thing.

on the other note Im new to this website and this is my first post.

2 weeks ago my cat was injured and what I thought was maybe just a cat fight and his back left leg had been bitten ended up being more serious then I thought. I took him into the vet because he was urinating on his self and limping.

Turns out He has loss in his tail and bladder. The vet thinks that he most likely has permanent nerve damage...therefore he does'nt have much hope and neither does anyone else that I tall to....
I've been doing all the researching I can and when I think that there's hope it just gets shot down...Im glad I came across this site. Hopefully someone can help me with my answers....this is all so overwelming for me and the thought of putting down my cat literally breaks my heart. He seems so happy and content with hiself except for the fact that he's unable to urinate and having trouble pooping. He's eating fine and is just dying to go back outside and play but I won't let him cause of his injury for right now. I just...I don't know what to do.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: cat with nerve damage...

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Well, I think the first things the folks w/paralysis experience will tell you is crate rest. And to make sure his bladder is fully emptied, by expressing.
When you say there is not much hope, can you tell us in what regard?
Are they talking of putting him to sleep because of his injury?
Can you find another vet for a 2nd opinion before things go that route?
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Nerve damage CAN heal, if given time; time will tell if your baby's will. You need to see http://www.handicappedpets.com/help/viewtopic.php?t=4 for expressing info; it's not as hard as you might think. In fact, much of that bb will be of interest to you. If you help him pee it'll be that much less for him to pee on himself, which is healthier for his skin. MANY people here have or do express their critters, including me, so there are equally as many techniques to do it.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

noturstar wrote:Turns out He has loss in his tail and bladder. The vet thinks that he most likely has permanent nerve damage...therefore he does'nt have much hope and neither does anyone else that I tall to....
Here is a very good link Dianne found on tail injury.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... ourceID=42

Nerve damage does improve but it can take time. Nerves heal very slowly, but they do heal. However, even if he does not recover completely, you kitty can still have a happy life. You might not realize it but there are cats that are born this way, without normal bowel and bladder control. You've heard of manx cats, the kind with no tail? They often have the same problem, lack of control over bowel and urine. Your cat got it through an accident, but these cats get it through genetics. People do love them and keep them and take care of them, you are not the first to have a cat with this condition.

There are tricks to caring for a cat like that but you can do it. Critters already mentioned expressing. That is where you learn to squeeze your kitty's abdomen so he urinates. If you do that several times a day it will reduce the amount of urine he dribbles on his skin. It is important to keep the skin clean, so you will want to wash his bottom every day to keep the skin healthy. Hopefully you had a chance to look at the links Critters gave, showing expressing the bladder, use of diapers, and bowel management.

When these cats have no control of the bowel, they tend to drop stools without really noticing it. That is not a problem as long as you watch what he eats so he has good quality stools that do not make a big mess. With the right stools, you just pick them up with a kleenex and throw them away, very easy.

Sometimes these cats can become constipated which can lead to bigger problems. Many people use lactulose syrup for regularity. Critters uses it with her tail-injured cat, Buddy. I use it with my paralyzed dog--she really likes it.

Here is a link to see Buddy, who is Critters' cat with rear injury. Isn't he cute in his diaper?!

http://www.handicappedpets.com/pics/buddy.htm

Sometimes vets sound negative like that because they know the pet has a problem that can be treated but feel the pet owner will not want to do the nursing care required. If you are willing to keep his skin clean, pick up after him as needed, and be sure he does not get constipated, he can continue to be a happy cat and live his normal life.

Please post again if you have any questions, this was not in detail but several people here can give you more details if you want. I will try to reach Debbie who has a cat like that as well and see if she can give you some tips.
noturstar

Post by noturstar »

OH My goodness guys..thankyou so much for all your input on this. Im so glad i came across this website. what exactlly is lactulose syrup? Is it something you just get from the store or vet...can the vet provide me with medicine to help his stools. His stools do just come out but there very hard so Im sure that he needs something to help soften it. Im going today to pick up my cat back from the vet and will ask him about how to express my cat and I may look into another vet like you said. Im wondering if I should go ahead and have his tail amputated or not? I've read that the tail being dead weight like it is can also cause more nerve damage if not removed.
I just want to get my baby home so I can care for him....but all this negative feedback from family and friends has really been hurting because they think it's just a cat put him down. It's just so hard and stressfull...but love pedro so freaking much that I could'nt bard to put him down unless I knew he was in complete pain or discomfort and he's not..except for the baths he's been taking and the pills I have to give him. Other then that he's so loveable and sweet. Im glad that I have you guys for support =). When I get home later I'll take a picture of him and post it so you guys can see him.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Lactulose syrup comes from the vet. It's about $12 a bottle from my vet and one bottle lasts 6 months for my small dog. A little bit goes a long way so you don't need to give much. I give my dog half as much as prescribed and that is just right, so you may have to play with the dose. My dog gets it twice a week but you can give it every day. I measure carefully with a little syringe. My dog licks it off a saucer, but some people give it with a dropper or syringe.

I hope your family isn't going to give you a lot of trouble when you get him home. Good luck on that.

I emailed Debbie so hopefully she will be by in the next day or two to reply to your message.
Debbie-Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

I'm sorry about your cat's injury. My cat, Kat, had spinal cord injury and was paralysed as a stray kitten when she was hit by a car. That was four years ago. She regained the use of her legs but her tail remained paralysed and she is incontinent (bladder and bowel).

I think one of the most difficult things about incontinent animals (Kat was my first, I now have 4 more in the house, though two are temporary) is other people's attitude towards them.

Anyway, Kat's tail was amputated, because it was very long and once she was up and walking there was a danger with it dragging that it could get caught and do more damage (I was more worried about the damage that could be done to her ability to walk back then than about her incontinence). She had to have another operation and we took advantage of that and amputated her tail at the same time. I would probably wait until your cat finishes the "crate rest" period before deciding whether to amputate, if his movements are controlled I doubt he will do any further damage.

A lot of people diaper their incontinent cats. I envy them but can't do it with Kat because a) she falls over if I put a diaper on her as her walking is quite good but not brilliant and b) she had a lot of problems with skin irritation and infections in the beginning, before we found this site, so I couldn't diaper her then, and as she got older it just kind of became impossible.

So she spends a lot of time in the garden in the summer and when it's cold she has a big indoor cage (which she hasn't used in months) and a few special places where she can go without problems. She sleeps in the bathroom because it's easy to clean :-) The reason for this is that Kat's incontinence is unusual in that she just leaks constantly, pee and poop, most cats with incontinence are like the dogs I have, they pee and poop several times a day and are clean in between.

As your cat is quite recently injured, there is still room for improvement. If he is sufficiently sociable, you could try and find a veterinary acupuncturist. The only time we had a good acupuncture session with Kat she was dry for 8 hours afterwards (only time in her whole life), but we couldn't continue because it was a 3-4 hour round trip and if there were other cats at the vet's when we arrived she just got very stressed and we couldn't even touch her. But I think the acupuncture would have helped back then and I have since seen it do amazing things with paralysed dogs.

It's a good idea to keep his movements limited for 4-8 weeks post injury (the "crate rest period"), try not to let him run and jump and climb, that way any inflammation will be reduced as much as possible. If you find a sympathetic vet, there are some medications you could also try later, I think Bethanechol is one for urinary incontinence that some people have used for their animals. Kat takes lactulose but I don't know the commercial name for it in the US.

If you can incorporate keeping him clean as part of your daily routine rather than seeing it as a chore, then the incontinence is quite easily manageable. Learning how to express him will not only keep things cleaner but will really help him avoid urine infections, which can arise if he doesn't completely empty his bladder of urine. The two things you will want to try and avoid are urine infections and skin irritation, a lot of people here have experience with those now, and the more we learn the less they affect our pets.

None of my incontinent animals have a problem with the fact that they are incontinent, they are as happy as my other animals. So many people think that an incontinent animal can't have quality of life and should be put to sleep. But they can have great quality of life as long as someone helps them to achieve it. They need a bit more work but the rewards are enormous. I have many other pets but Kat is the light of my life. Deciding not to euthanise her was the best decision I ever made. It not only saved her life, it changed mine!

We like Pedro's Spanish name and we hope you will decide he deserves a chance and will be behind you all the way! Keep posting about his progress and with any questions.

All the best from Spain!

Debbie
noturstar

Post by noturstar »

well I talked to my vet today and asked him If I could bring him home and he said that he can't let him go home today because he's not doing well... His nerve damage in his tail is completely gone, but said that's not a problem cause it can be amputated. The problem is he has no function to his bladder which is causing it to shut down and back up on his kidney's which will cause them to shut down. He said that he is draining the urine and has put him on medication but he does'nt think that the nerve is going to come back and that's going to cause his kidney's to fail. He has no hope and Im terrified that he's going to call me back and tell me that my cat did'nt make it. HELP. I need a good vet in the Dallas, Tx area. all these places I call won't even speak to me unless I bring my cat in..I just need a hopeful doctor so I can rescue my cat from this mess...I swear Im in the twilight zone right now.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

noturstar wrote: The problem is he has no function to his bladder which is causing it to shut down and back up on his kidney's which will cause them to shut down. He said that he is draining the urine and has put him on medication but he does'nt think that the nerve is going to come back and that's going to cause his kidney's to fail.
That just means you'll have to express his pee, which isn't the end of the world. If the vet can do it, so can YOU!! Quite frankly, this guy isn't getting the deal done as far as helping you, and I'd bail out in a hurry. Find another vet, have them show you how to express (as many times as necessary), and take your baby home!!

http://www.handicappedpets.com/help/viewtopic.php?t=4
noturstar

Post by noturstar »

your right and Im going to get him to a new vet tomorrow first thing. I can't have him relseased from the place he's at now cause they close at 6:30pm so tomorrow Im going to pick him up and take him..I've been calling around different vets and hopefully the one I take him to will be able to help me, help pedro. I just pray that nothing happens within the night that pedro is up at the vet..*it scares me*.. thank you guys so much for your support..I really really need it cause honestlly it's all I got right now.

Jade.
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

I have a cat Simon who has congential deformities and complete paralysis of his back legs. I have to express his bladder 3 - 4 times a day. He can poop on his own which he does on the floor and I clean up after him. He is my pride and joy and I can't imagine not having him. Once you get the hang of it, expressing the bladder is pretty easy. There are sites on this website for how to do it. Also, I have another cat that I got from the shelter I use to volunteer at---she seemed feral (she is not) and caught her forearm in the cage door and apparently pulled so hard that she damaged the nerves and the arm just hung. I adopted Raven especially if I didn't they would euthanize her. As time went by she completey recovered and has full use of her forearm. So I would not give up on your cat and I definitely would not euthanize him. Also, please keep your cat inside no matter how much he wants to go out. There are too many dangers in the outdoors and diseases like FIV and FeLV that he could catch. If your cat is not neutered I would suggest neutering him. This may help curb his desire to roam outside. Diana R.
Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

Hello
So what happened with your baby?
Eros & Tiffany
Never lose hope, Miracles happen all the time!
Sehri

Post by Sehri »

Please i need help my cat have same problem her she lost control of her bowel movements its a nerve damage her tail is dead not amputed though
But now she is pregnant from last night she is throwing up not eating anything her urine is smelly and looks infectious took her to vet but he said shes fine he just touched her belly and said that the place i live in there is no care is available for animals i need help
She is in misery please help me
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Sehri, are you 100% sure she is pregnant? The reason I ask is that some cats with nerve damage develop constipation because of the nerve problem with their bowel. Their colon swells because of too much feces inside. It is called megacolon. It is uncomfortable and unhealthy, and can even become life-threatening. Did you observe your kitty being "in season" and did she have a boyfriend? Is she definitely pregnant?

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 2&aid=3471

:welcome:
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

hello sehri
sounds to me like your cat is seriously constipated. I have several cats here with that issue.
If she is throwing up that is definitely serious. Sorry your vet can't help.
I don't know what you feel you are capable of doing yourself so I am going to suggest some things to help.
i also do not know what is available to you so please pardon if i mention something you don't have.

Get a syringe or eyedropper and give her about a teaspoon (5ml) of some kind of vegetable oil.
if you have mineral oil there, give some of that but mix it with a little food, if given plain it is so light it can get aspirated and cause breathing problems.
if there is anyway to get her to drink, the more fluid she can get the better! fish juice, meat broth, running water, a fountain, anything.
mashed prunes (like baby food prunes) fed in a syringe are also helpful. One of my cats actually likes this. I would give at least 5ml and more if she will eat it.

Do you have anything like Pepcid for upset stomachs?
use Google to get dosing for cats put in the name of what you have and "cat dosing" and see what comes up.
Pepcid, Zantac, Tagamet can all be given but you need to check the dose first. she is very nauseous and this will help.
Pepcid is the preferred one here. These are name brands. if you have different name brands, you can google these names and see what the drug is in them, then compare it to what you have available.
Docusate Sodium is the name of a stool softener that is very helpful. again. google for dose.
Look at hairball remedies, they are often helpful too.

all righty, here is the one most people balk at but it is the best thing to "unblock" a cat.
she needs an enema.
you can get an infant enema, EMPTY the contents (I've always been told never to use what is included) but you need the device. Make an enema of warm water and a little bit of mild soap. If you can get glycerin and add that, it is also very helpful.
sometimes enemas work rght away, soemtimes there is a delay or an hour or more.

a warm water bath/soak will also help. it relaxes the muscles in teh abdomen and lets things pass easier. they tense up and that makes it harder for them to poop.

You can get some kind of fiber additive (I use soemthing called Benefiber), and add it to her food every day. This can make a really big difference in keeping everything moving. Adding water to her food will help too.

I hope this helps! good luck!
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.