cat with nerve damage...

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
CarolC

Re: cat with nerve damage...

Post by CarolC »

Sehri wrote: her urine is smelly and looks infectious took her to vet but he said shes fine
Hi Sehri,

She may have a urinary infection, as you suspect. Cats with nerve damage to the tail can have difficulty urinating and emptying their bladder. It is possible her bladder is quite full of urine and not emptying properly. When urine stays in the bladder too long, it becomes stale and can cause a breeding ground for germs, then the cat gets a urinary infection. If she has a urinary infection, she really needs antibiotics. I do not know if you have more than one vet where you live, but you might want to try another vet if possible and see if you can get some antibiotics.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... ourceID=42

You can help a cat to empty her bladder if she is having trouble because of nerve damage. There is a procedure called "expressing the bladder". Basically you squeeze her belly and she urinates. Here is information on expressing the bladder. At the end of the article (scroll to the bottom) you will see many videos demonstrating how to express a cat's bladder.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027

Sometimes expressing the bladder also causes the cat to poop, because you are squeezing the belly. That would be good if she is constipated. I understand that you might not want to squeeze her belly if you think she is pregnant, but if she is unable to urinate properly and getting an infection, she may not survive to have the kittens so caring for the bladder is more important than worrying about the kittens, much as I hate to say it. I am really hoping she is not pregnant, and the swollen belly you are seeing is a result of a full colon and full bladder because of the nerve damage, but you would probably need an x-ray to see what is really going on. An x-ray would be hugely helpful if there is any place you can get one.

I hope this helps. And I hope you can find another vet who is more helpful, even if you have to take her to another town.
usavedFuego!

Post by usavedFuego! »

Ok my story is EXACTLY like “noturstar”! But my cats bladder is anout to burst!!!!!! Pleeeeez help!!!!! I have been absolute niiightmare! Please if someone cud call me now! I wud be ever so grateful! I know everyones busy but ive spent already lits of money now broke. Fuego is only 3 and almost rather die than put him down. Vet was draining bladder with needle becuz said he wudnt even be able to be expressed and cant remember the term as to why but has been leaking out at least. Finally had a 2 in hard stool last evening thank god as well. Vet said if he doesnt poop in 3 days u have to put down. Well it took him 7, which was extremely risky and terrifying. He has prednisone for infam, lutucrose whatever the stool softener, the gabapentin for pain and prazosin for stimulation but giving these meds in surenges is almost as horrible as injury!!!!
562-418-8219
usavedFuego!

Post by usavedFuego! »

Also the biggest issue is squeezing an already very full bladder
Thank u
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

just got home and saw this.
I have expressed huge bladders. Is it huge because she can't pee at all on her own, or is it huge because something is in the way?
When my girl Cherry has hard stool, it makes it impossilbe for her to pee, and I have to get some stool out first.

keep in mind a huge bladder is not just uncomfy but is also painful. They often tense up in response adn that makes things more difficult.
I would first either give her a warm soak on her belly, or if you can't do that, put a warm cloth on it to get her to relax. Then apply very gentle pressure to teh bladder.

If you don't get a stream, try feeling the colon just behind teh anus to see if it is full and if it is, you need to work the stool out. Sometimes you can do this by just squeezing it out from the outside. Again, warm water helps. Sometimes I have had to feel up in front of the pelvis and push the stool along from there. This can take a little while, be patient.
You can also get glycerin supposetories to help, do NOT use a human enema.

After you get some stool out, try to press on teh bladder gently again and hopefully this time you will get a stream.

The most urine I ever got out of a cat was 80ml, which is a monstrous amount. His bladder was the size of a small grapefruit. this was a very very bad situation. I'm hoping your kitty's bladder is not that huge.

Now, if you can't get any stream at all, even with warm compresses, and expressing stool, and gentle pressure, you are going to need a vet. Too much pressure on a bladder that won't produce a stream could be damaging, as in I worry it coudl rupture.
If you have already exausted Carecredit then you can look at a new thing called scratch pay https://scratchpay.com/ I just found out about it not very long ago. If you aren't familiar with Carecredit, you can go to their side, carecredit.com

I hope this was helpful and good luck!
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

What kind of injury does Fuego have?

Some cats can be expressed better with a combination of squeezing and external stimulation. Here is a video showing this with a male cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhReJqnuxOA

If you scroll to the end of this article, there are many more videos showing how to express a cat's bladder.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027

If the lactulose is not working well enough, you can ask the vet about increasing the dose. However, I have found that Miralax works better for my cat than lactulose. You could ask the vet about that. I do not know if Miralax can be given with the other meds he is taking, but the vet will know.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19893
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

My Buddy needed PBZ (phenoxybenzamine) to help tame his spastic bladder. A different drug, also frequently used in critters with spinal cord injuries, is bethanechol, and it made Buddy IMPOSSIBLE to express because it tightened the spasm.