injured shepherd on Jurupa in Mira Loma / Pedley, California

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
Barbara Boehmer

injured shepherd on Jurupa in Mira Loma / Pedley, California

Post by Barbara Boehmer »

While I was driving on Jurupa Rd near the border of the areas of Mira Loma and Pedley in western Riverside County, California, I saw a German Shephered lying alongside the road as if it had been hit by a car. As I slowed down, I saw an ear wiggle, so I knew it was still alive. I parked and went over to the dog and found that it was alive, conscious, alert, friendly, full-grown but looked young, but unable to get up. It was lying on its right side and it appeared that it's right hind leg was broken near the hip. It would occasionally struggle to get up, but could not. I could not tell if there were any other injuries. There was a broken red nylon collar with a torn beige cotton leash tied to it lying next to the dog. A little ways down the road, there were some broken black plastic pieces of what appeared to be the connecting pieces of the collar. I did not find an i.d. tag. It appeared that the dog might have been hit where I found the collar pieces and thrown to where I found the dog or limped there, then collapsed. I found one person sitting on a porch nearby. He didn't speak English, so I did my best to ask in Spanish if he knew whose dog it was. He was able to tell me that it wasn't his and didn't live next door on either side or across the street.

It was at that bad time of morning when the night-time emergency vets have closed and the daytime vets haven't opened yet and I wasn't sure if I could move it or get it in my car by myself without risking further injury, and it was still partially in the roadway, so I dialed 9-1-1 on my cell phone at 6:51 a.m. as I stood there directing traffic around it. Highway patrol said they would send someone in a few minutes or call me back if it would be longer. As people walked and drove by, I asked anyone that stopped or slowed down (most didn't), if they knew whose dog it was, but nobody knew. At 7:10 a.m. the highway patrol called me back to say that animal control would be there in about half an hour. So, I stayed there, protecting it from traffiic and petting it. It likes to have its head and body pet and chest rubbed and whines when you stop.

About 10 minutes later, a nice lady named Gina stopped and helped. I filled her in on the above. She stayed with the dog while I tried knocking on two more residential doors, one on each side of the street, to see if I could find an owner, but nobody answered. Beyond that, it is closed businesses in either direction for a ways.

About 10 minutes after that, animal control arrived. We were trying to figure out how to move the dog. Animal control didn't have a blanket and I didn't either, but Gina had one. We put the blanket next to the dog, then rolled it from its right side onto its left side onto the blanket, then carried it on the blanket to the truck. We asked what they would do with it and were told that they usually either take it to Pedley Veterinary Hospital or Pedley Square veterinary facility, both of which are on Limonite Ave. I quickly told Gina that she could find me on the forums at www.handicappedpets.com then followed the animal control truck, thinking it would be going straight to the vet, so that I could find out what would happen to the dog. When it went south on Van Buren Blvd from Limonite Ave, I knew it wasn't going to either vet. Then it went east on Jurupa Ave, where I got stuck at the light and lost it. The animal control facility is just a few blocks from there on Wilderness Ave north of Jurupa Ave, so I assume it went there. By the time I waited in line for the next light, made the left turn, and got to the facility, there was no sign of the animal control officer, just a bunch of the animal control trucks parked in the back lot, where you can't go.

Here is a link that shows the Wilderness Ave address where I think the dog must be:

http://www.rcdas.org/location.htm

I don't know how long they keep them waiting for an owner to claim them or for somebody to adopt them. I have cats and can't take a dog. I think Mary and Roxy live in the area.

I stopped home to post this and will now go back to where I was originally headed before this, then come back home after that and check for any replies here.
Barbara Boehmer (not a veterinarian, just a fellow pet owner)
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: injured shepherd on Jurupa in Mira Loma / Pedley, Califo

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Oh, Barbara, my head spins! That poor dog!
Here in Beaufort County, they destroy any injured animal. I'd keep heat on the shelter there, to make sure they know someone cares.
We are presently trying to rescue a dog that was tied to a mobile home that burned and the dog abandoned. The dog may or may not be burned, we can't get close enough to see. The community is leaving food and water. If we have animal control go out, he is a dead dog. They ARE however, lending us a large havahart to catch the dog in. Wish us luck. I have the lunchtime check.
Starved, burned, abandoned.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Poor baby. :( I'm with Karen, though-- keep the heat on, and try to MAKE them do something about him!!
Last edited by critters on Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbara Boehmer

I called Riverside County animal control, expecting that I would be able to find out by now whether the dog was taken to a vet and how it was doing, but was shocked to find out that they are not allowed to give out any information. When I asked the reason for that rule, they didn't know, just that they are not allowed to give out any information and don't know why. Apparently the only way that I can obtain any information is to come in in person, fill out some forms requesting the information, then wait for notification by mail, after a mandatory 10-day waiting period.

They said that with healthy animals, they hold them for 5 days for an owner to claim them or 10 days if it is known that they have an owner. Apparently, just having a broken collar and leash does not qualify as knowing that they have an owner. They have to have a dog license or microchip in order for them to wait an extra 5 days for an owner. After that they are available for adoption until adopted or taken by a rescue organization. Apparently, they no longer euthanize healthy pets. That was the only good news.

She said that they euthanize severly injured animals, but I did not get a clear definition of what they consider severely injured. The impression that I got was that this dog may have already been put to sleep or it may be iminent and I may not be able to even find out for 10 days, much less prevent it. I explained that I was trying to help and if I had known this, would have let the dog stay by the side of the road until my vet opened, then taken it there myself. I was given the impression by the animal control officer that they would take it to a vet.

I called Pedley Veterinary Hospital and asked if the dog had been brought there. They told me no animal conrrol officer has been there today and that they have only brought them about 5 dogs in about the last year, which she said is far fewer than they used to. She said she thinks they do have a veterinarian on staff at the animal shelter, so they could be treating some things there instead.

I am leaving now to go to the shelter in person to fill out the forms and wait the 10 days to find out what happened. I also see on their website that they post pictures of adoptable animals, so I should be able to check there after 5 days, but if I don't see the picture that won't tell me if it was euthanized or if the owner claimed it.

I think animal control's non-disclosure policy is terrible. They are preventing people who are trying to help from doing so. If I find that this animal was euthanized unnecessarily, then I will know never to call them again and to spread the word to everyone else. I have no clue where to start as far as what government agency or organization to contact to try to get the policy changed. It is ridiculous that they cannot even give you a reason why, so you can understand what the problem is from their point of view, in order to find a mutually agreeable solution.

I hope that Gina, the nice lady who stopped to help, is able to find her way here, and maybe has some ideas.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Rediculous!!! I'd be mad enough to chew nails if I were you!!!
Barbara Boehmer

It is too late. Animal Control already killed the dog. I went there in person and was told that it was already euthanized. When I asked why, I was told that it probably had internal injuries or some such thing. I filled out the form to request a copy of the records, that should include the report from their facility veterinarian, stating specifically why euthanasia was deemed necessary. However, I was told that the request may or may not be approved, probably not, since I was not the owner of the dog. They said that they will call me in 10 days and let me know whether the request for a copy of the records was approved and I can come and pick it up or whether the request was denied.

The only thing that I could see wrong with the dog was that the right hind leg was broken near the hip, but I am not a veterinarian and there could have been fatal internal injuries. If I get a copy of a report signed by a veterinarian that lists specific irreparable fatal internal injuries, then I will at least be satisfied that nothing more could have been done for the dog. If not, then I have to suspect that they kill anything that has costly injuries and conceal that. I then need to look at two things:

1. What do I do if I find an injured animal in the future?

2. Who do I contact to investigate them and/or change their policies?

I called Pedley Veterinary Hospital again, to let them know what happened and they suggested that I contact Riverside Humane Society. I didn't realize they were two separate organizations. Apparently, one is now located where the other used to be and the county used to contract with one and now contracts with the other, or some such thing, so it is a little confusing.

At this point I plan to wait the ten days, see if I get a copy of the records and what it says, then contact Riverside Humane Society and go from there. It may be that if instead of calling 9-1-1, resulting in the highway patrol calling animal control, if I had known to call the humane society instead, things might have turned out differently.

Since this is no longer an urgent matter, I will move this thread from urgent rescuue to other problems.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Our county protocol is they destroy animals just because. Fortunately that horror of a woman who ran the thing 'retired'. The deputies are gifts from God. They know the policy and the sad truth. Theyhave NO resources even for the adoptable ones.
We can NOT get any info on ANY dog in their 'care'. There is a file box which holds the cards of the animals. If the card is not in the box, the animal is not in the shleter (read: destroyed) So good luck in your quest. And a letter to the editor is called for. To tell people THIS IS YOUR FAULT! Not the shelter's. We are the ones who fill up shelters with unwanted family members.
I hate these things. But this is the sad truth of rescue. Most don't make it.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm sorry for your loss; I know you didn't "own" him, but you had a lot of time invested in him, and you seemed to be attached to him. The only thing I can say is that at least you did something, and he didn't have to lay there and die on the side of the road. :(
Mary and Roxy

Post by Mary and Roxy »

Hi Barbara..
I saw the Jurupa post and thought wow a close H.C.P. "sister" ..When reading on I wasn't surprised about the Humane society.. the experiences im gonna be talking about were 3 or 4 years ago..I went numerous times looking for a dog , the first 2 dogs I had chosen both died before I could pick them up.. the first one im not sure of what it died of but the second died of parvo, and the third one Roxy they let me take the day I first saw her because they remembered me and the trouble I had, had before when I wanted a dog, so they gave her to me the first day she was there "before" she had a chance to get sick,, The next few times it was because of my sister who had gotten 2 puppy's from there both ended up dyeing of parvo soon after she had them home. she called them to tell them her dogs had died of that (just so they would know they must have the germ there ) they wouldn't even listen to her but just kept telling her they wouldn't give her any money back.. Mary
Barbara Boehmer

I have heard a bunch of bad things about various facilities or services associated with Riverside County Animal Control, but most of them, like yours, were a few years ago. I have heard that they have had a change of management and things are better now than they were a few years ago, but there is apparently still need for improvement. I have seen and heard things about various animal control facilities all over the country and it seems that most have problems due to being over-crowded, under-funded, and under-staffed. I think most are faced with choosing between mass euthanasia and unhealthy conditions. I was happy to hear that they no longer euthanize healthy animals in Riverside. That is one big step in the right direction. I also see low-cost spay and neuter clinics offered in various places, which is the biggest key to reducing the over-population that causes the crisis. Now we just need to find a way to see that all of the injured, sick, elderly, and disabled are given the same opportunities as the "healthy adoptable" ones.
Barbara Boehmer

Mary,

I just re-read your post and noticed that you said "Humane society", not animal control. Which place did you go to, animal control on Wilderness north of Jurupa Ave or the humane society on Fremont north of Jurupa Ave a few blocks away or a different facility? I think years ago animal control used to contract with the humane society on Fremont for services, so they may have been one and the same at that time. It looks like the current number for the humane society is the old number for animal control. I was thinking of looking into the humane society as an alternative place to take injured strays, rather than animal control, but I am not sure if the humane society isn't the old place that was worse than the new animal control. It is a bit confusing. It is the people that run the places that count and I don't know if both facilities now have new people or if the people moved when animal control moved or if the old people are still at the old place or if both are under new management or what. Pedley Veterinary Hospital suggested that the best option would have been to wait until they opened and bring the dog there, but I can't afford to pay for every injured stray I find and if, after recovery, I couldn't find it a home, it would still end up at animal control where, if it had any disabilities might still be considered unhealthy and or unadoptable and euthanized. I almost dread driving anywhere because I see dead animals alongside the road everywhere I go and always stop to check on anything that looks like it could be alive and don't want to have to end up in the same situation again, trying to decide what to do. I wonder who owned the dog and if they know yet what happened to their dog. Dogs can roam large distances and it might have even jumped out of a truck or some such thing, so who knows where it might live, not necessarily near where I found it.
Mary and Roxy

Post by Mary and Roxy »

Hi Barbara
I went to the Humane society. On fremont at the time I also went to the one that is ferther upthe road, they were known as never putting anything to sleep. The humane society was know for only keeping the animals formaybe 3 weeks im takeing a guess there? Im so glad to hear they dont do that anymore..it was heartbreaking to know some of them only had a few days left..I remember being told maybe a year ago that there was only one person that was covering all of Riverside and Riverside county for picking up lost, hurt or dead animals. because a neighbor had called about a half ran over cat that was in pain and no one showed up for at least 2 days..Our neighborhood got together and came up with pain meds we had on hand to try tohelp the poor cat till they came to get it..Im so glad there are people that can do that sort of stuff. I feel sorry for everything.I get week kneed seeing anything the least bit hurt, I'm looking into the fostering program, still haveing a hard time getting hubby happy about that one, hes pretty sure my first foster will become a permant member of the family.. and Roxy would freak out if I was to bring another dog in the house so im thinking kittens or cats..Tho all I know no more about cats then the crash course im haveing to learn with Tiglet..
Barbara Boehmer

I got the copy of the record. It is typed abbreviations and initials, so it is somewhat difficult to understand. It looks like they sedated him, x-rayed him, found that the tibia, fibula, and humourous bones of the right hind leg were broken, then killed him at 9:07 a.m. There is nobody at animal control to interpret all of the abbreviations, so I took it to Pedley Veterinary Hospital, and that is what they said it says. They said that if that was the only injury then worst case scenario was that the right hind leg could have been amputated. It appears to me that the dog was killed unnecessarily. Here is the exact wording of the narrative section:

"8-22-06 animal came in poss hbc with an obvious poss fx to rt hind limb. dog is not mobile mm lt pink 10cc dex iv given/tel 1.0cc iv to sedate for rads. rads showed a fx to tibia and fib. on rt hind limb also drt found a fx to rt humourous no rads t"

Pedley Veterinary hospital told me that, if I had brought the dog to them, they would have just turned it over to animal control and it still would have been killed, unless I was willing to pay for the treatment. However, there might have been problems with authorizing treatment, since I am not the owner.

I plan to contact the humane society and ask if they accept injured animals and what they do with them. I may also write a letter to the local Press-Enterprise newspaper. Apparently, I can send one by email to letters@pe.com. At this point, if I were to encounter another seirously injured animal and be unable to quickly locate its owner, I am unsure what to do about it.

In the meanwhile, I have been very busy with other things. My 21-year-old cat is hyperthyroid and having kidney problems, so twice per day she gets tapazole, science diet k/d fed separate from the rest of the cats (she eats Iam's with everyone else inbetween), and subcutaneous fluids. My 16-year-old diabetic cat has been going to the vet frequently for blood glucose and fructosamine and other tests, because his blood glucose has been ranging between 30 to 409. I am going to talk to the vet about teaching me to do home testing when I take him there tomorrow, so that I can test before each injection. I have also been busy with other non-animal things and have jury duty coming up soon. I haven't even had time to browse this forum lately.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Unless they have their nomenclature wrong, the humerus fracture means he had a broken 'arm' as well, not that that's horrible. I agree it was unnecessary to kill him. :(((
Barbara Boehmer

I called the humane society and asked if they accept injured animals. I described what happened with animal control and the injured dog that I found and explained that I was trying to determine where to take an injured animal if I find one in the future. The lady on the phone said she had never had that question before and would have to ask someone else and either she or someone else would call me right back. I gave my name, phone, and email, but nobody ever called back. Their recording said something about being selective about what they accept. I think they are purely an adoption agency. So it looks like there just is no good option.