How do I get my two girls to stop fighting?

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
llynbob

How do I get my two girls to stop fighting?

Post by llynbob »

I added my Himi girl last April. She gets along with both boys and my Yorkie but for some unknown reason she has taken a dislike to my Persion-mix. She actually chases her all over the house and caused her to lose over three pounds due to not eating. Tasha was a rescue who took forever to learn to trust and come to me, now she spends all her time out on the screened patio and only sneaks in during rain storms. She even runs from me now. What can I do? I don't want to give up either as they are both special to me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

llynbob
critters
Founding Member

Re: How do I get my two girls to stop fighting?

Post by critters »

Hmm. That's a tough one. Some people rec. Feliway products, although I've never used them. Could you try reintroductions, or maybe playing with both of them together? Something where they're enjoying each other's company? In the meantime, I'd give the shy one special meals; lock her in a cage, if necessary, so she can eat in peace. Believe me--you DON'T want to add the horrors of hepatic lipidosis to your problems if you can help it.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I'm having dog aggressive problems, My AllicksBlindPup is trying to kill GabrielDeafBlindPup. I just got the choke chain and have not worked with that yet, as I hate putting a choke chain on a blindpup.
But separation is the only other way I can stop the aggression. When introducing strange cats, use a slow meeting period. Put one in a closed bathroom, and let them 'meet' under a doorway, or behind a screen door, or window... I never let an adult cat meet any other cat except thru and extended period of time, so they 'know' each other before actually meeting.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Are they all fixed?

Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
llynbob

Re: Are cats spayed

Post by llynbob »

Yes, all my animals have been "fixed"
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I wasn't being judgmental...many times animals that arn't spayed or neutered try to dominate others. I was just wondering if this could be the case with yours.

Cindi

Sage and Misty
llynbob

Post by llynbob »

Didn't think you were. I have tried everything I could think of including locking the two of them in a large kennel for eight hours. They just ignored each other. But when Himi sees Persion-mix she tears off after her and fights with her. Put food AND treats in with them and neither one ate. I AM AT A LOSS!
Barbara Boehmer

Post by Barbara Boehmer »

llynbob,

I would keep them in separate rooms any time that you are not home and awake, until it gets settled. I don't know the layout of your house, so it is up to you to decide who goes where. Although it seems like the offender should be the one who gets confined, or you could alternate, I have found that a timid cat generally prefers having its own room, but an agressive cat will probably claw at the door and yowl. Then re-introduce them slowly while you are there to defend the timid one. Let it be known that you are its bodyguard. When the agressive one attacks, push it away, then pick up the timid one and pet it and let it sit in your lap for awhile. I have one that was very timid and tended to get picked on. I kept her in her own room when I wasn't there to defend her from a more agressive one. She eventually made friends with another one of my cats who acted as her bodyguard in my absence, and now shares the house with everyone else and nobody bothers her. My eldest cat is 21 and doesn't get around very quickly anymore. I tell everyone else that, as the eldest, she is queen kitty, and they had better not mess with her. My youngest used to try to attack her on the couch. After I shoved her off the couch enough times, she learned. Nobody messes with my queen kitty now. Sometimes it just takes a while to gain acceptance and establish territory and rank and acceptance.

Years ago, when I had two dogs, shepherd/lab mixes, I introduced them to the cats when they were puppies, and was extremely careful to make sure that they did not harm the cats. They were so well-trained not to mess with the cats that if a cat would eat out of their dish, they would just step back and wait, because they knew they weren't supposed to bother the cats. The cats would rub up against them and lick them and they treated them gently as if they were their puppies.
Barbara Boehmer (not a veterinarian, just a fellow pet owner)
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I'm soooo sorry this is happening. I'm afraid I don't have kitties so I don't really understand their behavior. I sure will keep you in my prayers.
Cindi

Sage and Misty
llynbob

Post by llynbob »

Thanks for the advice. It is difficult to seperate when there are four cats who have free access but I do try to make sure Persian-mix gets to eat in peace. I will try what you suggested.