Need something for urine odor

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
choctaw

Need something for urine odor

Post by choctaw »

My dog Layla has been paralyzed for about three weeks now. She is able to pull herself all over the house and she leaks urine on the floor and on herself. I am constantly mopping the floor but I can not seem to get the smell off her. Does anyone have any ideas? She is a cocker spaniel and I am going to get all her hair clipped next week to see if that will help some.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Need something for urine odor

Post by critters »

Do you know about expressing? Diapers?

I prefer Simple Solution for cleanup; I think it smells better than Nature's Miracle.
choctaw

Post by choctaw »

I usually don't get her bladder expressed before she does. I have tried to keep her bathed and in diapers but there is still a strong urine odor.
Toni

Post by Toni »

Clipping her will help keep the odor down. Like Critters said, Natures Miracle is a good odor remover that is readily available in most pet stores. I also like OdorMute..a powder. They give directions for using it on your pet as well. It is less expensive than Nature's Miracle, but not available everywhere. It is by the Ryter Company http://www.odormute.com/pet_index.html

I've used it on my dogs when they have been skunked. I used to use it on Rags, a cat we had that was quite incontinent and would not keep on a diaper. We kept her trimmed and bathed her bottom daily.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Toni

Post by Toni »

I stand corrected..Ryter used to make it..now it is made in Ohio by Hueter Toledo, Inc!
No matter where you go, there you are.
ems736336

Post by ems736336 »

I guess I don't understand why she is being allowed to drag herself all over the house. If she is injured or has a back problem this cannot be good for her. She needs to be crated or confined in a small space so she has a chance to heal. As far as the urine, I think that it will help to have her clipped down. I also have read somewhere about using baking soda to help clean up on the floor. If I find the note I will put it out here.