Excessive licking

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
Christine

Excessive licking

Post by Christine »

My girl has acquired a new habit which is driving me bonkers...she licks the blanket, floor, carpet or towel that she is on incessantly. I have tried Ceasar's method of making a sound to distract her, I have told her "no", I have massaged and petted her, etc., etc. I have read that this caused by boredom or stress and it is a cycle hard to break. Due to her life before coming to me, she does not understand what toys or chew things are and does not react to them at all, otherwise I would be giving her a Kong or a pig ear. Tonight, I am getting out the Rescue Remedy drops. Any suggestions?
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Re: Excessive licking

Post by critters »

What about filling the Ko ng with cream cheese or peanut butter to try to teach about chew toys?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Christine,

I don't have a solution, my mini-dachshund does it, too. She seems very peaceful and absorbed when she does it. I think Jane said her dog does the same thing.

I've learned you need to check the mouth every few days because my dog gets blanket fibers and lint and stuff trapped in her teeth. It starts to turn into a mat of lint and if it stays in her mouth she'll get monster breath. :shock: If you notice bad breath on your dog, pull her lips down and see if there are some threads trapped around her teeth and gums.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Hi Christine,

My neighbor's golden also does the obsessive compulsive licking. He primarily does it when his favorite member of the family travels.

Could the licking be places where urine has dribbled?

Toys: Our second dog didn't know about dog toys when we found him. He had no idea how to play with balls or dog toys. We had to teach him how to play. However, he did like to chew on bones and sticks.

We get new bones every few months so that they smell "fresh". It seems to spur the dogs to start chewing again.

Chewing seems to reduce tension if we separate the dogs. There is an alpha rivalry that can develop with bones. One tries to collect ALL of the bones for himself leaving the other upset and jealous. If I separate them while chewing it helps.

Separation Anxiety: We use peanut butter bye-bye bones when gone for several hours. Smear a glop of peanut butter into the hollow of a shin bone when you leave the house so the dog has something to occupy his time and forget that you are leaving.

D
Christine

Post by Christine »

Thanks for all your thoughts...I am going Kong shopping tomorrow - that will be her Christmas present!

Fortunately, she is not dribbling urine - she seems to have cleared up in that department. Now that it is colder, I have finally put her new red halter vest I bought from HP a few months ago and she will finish urinating with me holding her up with the handle in the back.

I will be watching for fuzzies in her mouth too!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

You know, Johanna does this too. She will lick the carpet for hours without stopping. I have to keep the floor vacuumed so she doesn't lick up too much dirt or hair. I have never tried to fix it, but I wonder if I need to worry about it?
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
ems736336

Post by ems736336 »

Hi Christine and Bailey.
Nidgie, the 'healthy' dog, licks also. He licks the couch, my arm, the carpet, his brother (Dweenger, the IVDD dog), anything that is around. If I let him. He is small enough that I can pick him up and stop him generally. He also chews his nails! What a riot. I tell him I need to trim his nails when he does that and he immediately stops! I think he does it because he is bored most of the time. A Kong with Peanut Butter or CREAM CHEESE will always stop it. But then he drools so bad we have to have towels under him!
Christine

Post by Christine »

All of this discussion about boredom and stress reminds me of when we had this wonderful cat named Mr. Beasley - just a big ole bundle of love. My husband used to say "he's just like a stuffed animal and all he does is eat, poop and pee." I replied, "What do you want him to do, take a night class!"
?/1999 - 10/25/08
ems736336

Post by ems736336 »

We had a cat sort of like that. Weighed 22# and had beautiful LONG white hair. His name was Isher and he was (as all cats I have ever had) a rescue from the vet hospital where he was dropped off at five weeks for boarding through the fourth of July. They never came back to get him which was their loss and my gain. Had him for a long time and all he ever did was eat, sleep and go potty. But, he was a great cat.
Jane Scott

Post by Jane Scott »

Hi; Harley is the licking king! Everything gets licked incessantly. We have discovered that it is not anxiety, it is not because he's bored, not because he's stressed out; it's because he is happy! He is content and pleased that his family are home with him. It makes him feel good and safe. Our vet thought that however it started, he felt gratified, safe and happy and so he just keeps doing it.
The licking increases during the evening because that is when he is on the couch between us and he's being loved and played with. After playtime; he wants to lay beside us, covered in his blanket (he will look for it on the back of the couch) and contentedly lick the couch until he's mesmerized. Bizarre but harmless; makes me keep the place pretty clean, carpet and couch get vacuumed often.
Wishing you all happiness and joy with your furkids. Jane
Harley the "Monkey-boy"
Christine

Post by Christine »

Thanks, Jane. It is nice to look at another way, especially this one...and Paul, I have been feeling bad about bringing it up to cause you concern, so now we can both feel better.

On the Kong front, Bailey LOVES it when I put peanut butter in it, but does not understand how to hold it in place with her paw so guess who has been doing that!

Thanks again, Jane and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
ems736336

Re: Bailey and the Kong

Post by ems736336 »

I am so glad Bailey likes the peanut butter kong.
I bet that it could be they are doing it because they are contented. Nidgie always looks like he is mesmerized when he is doing it and he is so peaceful and happy. Never hurts anything other than getting it all wet. No big deal unless you sit on the spot... ;^)