urinary tract infections in dogs

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
ibu nenzi

urinary tract infections in dogs

Post by ibu nenzi »

I didn't even know animals got UTIs. My 5 y.o. yellow lab, female, started peeing every 10 seconds when we were out walking, then peed in the house, something she's never done.

On Memorial Day, I called the vet on call, not my regular vet, who prescribed amoxicillin for her...2 a day every 12 hours. She's now had six doses and seems to be returning to normal.

He said if she doesn't act normal after the medications to take her to the vet, she may have kidney stones.

Anyone have any experience and/or advice with this situation? Is it recurring? Any ideas how they get it? Does diet have anything to do with it?

Thanks so much,

Nancy
Paul Coover

Re: urinary tract infections in dogs

Post by Paul Coover »

It can be recurring, yes. Cranberry pills can help prevent it, but sometimes it just happens. Is your dog handicapped in any way? Many ailments can cause UTI's.

Some of the signs of a UTI are a foul smell in the urine, a darker color and crystals in the urine.

Good luck!
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
ibu nenzi

Post by ibu nenzi »

hi paul,

no she's not handcapped, in fact, this is the first illness of ANY kind for her. she swims in the river a lot, i'm wondering if perhaps she picked up something there.

i'll see how it goes...if she gets it again, i'll put her on the cranberry caps.

thanks so much for your prompt and caring reply.

nancy
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

My NanaDog sometimes gets UTIs and I suppose it is like any other 'germ' or bacteria. We humans get things all the time, and for no 'apparent' reason.
Make sure puppers drinks a lot of water in addition to the meds, as it will flush system out.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Christine

Post by Christine »

You can put organic cranberry juice in their water just as an on going preventive. I will find out more about the amount but I am going to put just enough so that it does not flavor it too much as it is a bit tangy. Just be sure it is organic as any other cranberry product is loaded with pesticides.

My Bailey's urine smellas strong all the time (most times that burned rubber smell) and she is SO finicky about urinating....has to be the perfect spot (we all know about that one), but she has difficulty holding her squat without assistance. I keep the lift and assist harnass on her all the time so I can help her, but I have to help in a way she does not notice or she will just stop and forget it until the next time, so I sprinkle UTI Free in her food and give her craberry drops, pills or jucie and keep her urine tested. I would give anything for Bailey and I to spend an hour with one of you to learn how to express her...I have tried and tried with all the best instructions and I just cannot get it.

Sorry about going on and on, but this is the one issue I can't seem to conquer for my girl.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08