louie

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
critters
Founding Member

Re: thanks bendy........

Post by critters »

You can't assume it's not Giardia if he doesn't hunt; it's most often from water. Do you have a well?

It's easy to test for G. these days; a swab is run through the poop, is put into a case, and the case is snapped to release the chemicals inside, much like testing for heartworms, etc.
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

I had a cat who had IBD and I did some research on this which I'll look for. That was some time ago though. Flagyl is the treatment for Giardia which is very easy to miss so you may want to try him on this. Also my cat was on Budesinide which I understand focuses on the intestine unlike the prednisone. You may wish to ask your vet about this. I'll see what I can find and get back to you. Diana R.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Panacur is good for Giardia too, and they don't find it nearly as objectionable.
boobookitty

Re: thanks critters!

Post by boobookitty »

we do not have a well, but our tap water isnt the greatest, it tastes like lead. could it be from this?
i really want to thank you for all the help, at least i know theres other medication he can try!
i have to crate louie overnite, i feel really bad for him.
keep the suggestions coming!!!
ElaynaC
boobookitty

Re: thanks diana........

Post by boobookitty »

any info is helpful.. i just spoke to the vets office about getting louie on something else, since the predesone isnt working. i mentioned endosorb and budesinide. she said she would have the vet call me, but would most likely want louie in to be seen!! i would rather they just give me something else to try, since i cant pay another office visit! she also said shes never heard of anything else beside predesone being used for IBS.
what should i do or say when the vet calls me?
ElaynaC