Sores that won't heal

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
thebratpack

Sores that won't heal

Post by thebratpack »

Thrawn (my elderly Husky) has a sore on the back of each leg that just won't heal. He's at the vet now but I'm in the midst of a massive panic attack. They're raised, bleeding off and on but he doesn't seem to mind them.

For record, he has Cushings, epilepsy and mobility problems. (not to the point that they're "bed sores")

I googled it and of course everything pointed to Cancer which is making me totally freak out. He has a tumor in his liver we've been watching for changes the past 6 months. He has had a hard life health wise and at 10+ years everything is really taking a toll on him.

Thanks for any input
Maryann & The Brat Pack
http://fivehappyhounds.blogspot.com
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Hi Maryann,

I am sorry about the problems that you and Thrawn are going through. I am not completely familiar with any of the diseases you mentioned, but I was wondering if the sores were on areas that get constantly rubbed (for example) when the dog is lying down. If so, it may be as simple as the sore not being able to heal because the new skin breaks everytime the dog lays down or bends his leg. I have a goat who is going through the same thing except that the sore is on his knee. I too was freaked but the vet explained the process of healing to me and illustrated how the skin is trying to heal but cannot. I don't mean to downplay your concerns and it is the right thing to have the sores checked. I hope that in the end it really is only a sore that is in a tricky spot and not something worse. Good luck and keep us posted.