Cat Stroke, trouble drinking

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
oliv131313

Cat Stroke, trouble drinking

Post by oliv131313 »

Hello,

My Cat Jass (11yr old) had a stroke three weeks ago. We have taken her to the vet and are waiting on blood work to figure out an underlying cause.

She has trouble eating but over the last three weeks has VERY SLOWLY gotten a bit better at it. But she has not drunk water on her own even once. We've been giving her water out of a syringe or a baby bottle.

And when she eats, she doesn't use her tongue to lap up the food, she kinda tries to bite it, it looks difficult for her. (we also feed her from a syringe to supplement)

Is there any way to help re teach her how to drink? Or is it not in the cards at this point? Others who have experienced this, how long did it take before your cat was more or less able to take care of themselves again?

Thank you
critters
Founding Member

Re: Cat Stroke, trouble drinking

Post by critters »

:strobe: Hmm. Have you considered using something adapted, like a rabbit water bottle? I've considered trying that with severely brain damaged furs with head tremors. You'd probably have to teach her how to use it, such as by putting a blob of something on the bottle tip for her to gnaw at and hopefully figure out how to work the bottle. If you look around pet stores, feed stores, and even resale stores you might find something even better--something that may not even be intended for that purpose.
oliv131313

Re: Cat Stroke, trouble drinking

Post by oliv131313 »

Thanks, Critters, that is a great idea, I'll look into that!