Sad sad horrible news :(

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Sad sad horrible news :(

Post by BendyMom »

Some of you may remember, six and a half years ago little orange spina bifida boy was posted in teh emergency rescue section. I adopted him and named him Butterbean.
Over the years he had a good life but developed megacolon that finally required surgery, his gut hurt him all the time and he needed daily enemas, it was a quality of life issue.
the surgery went well and he had one really wonderful week, better than he had been in years, then sadly, he developed sepsis, to the bafflement of everyone. He passed away Sunday at 6am.
I am a wreck. Many here followed his initial rescue, thanks to this foryum he had a home.
I will always love and miss you Butterbean!
Attachments
BeanNewPillow081517.jpg
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
CarolC

Re: Sad sad horrible news :(

Post by CarolC »

I am so sorry this happened. I was reading about sepsis (after human surgery). It is very sobering. Even when you diagnose it early they still can't save a large percentage of (human) patients, and many who survive have permanent effects. All I can say is, he would never have made it 6 years (probably not 6 months) if he had not been adopted by you. I don't know who else would have had the knowledge, perception and judgment about what he needed in terms of medication and expressing and skin care. Or who else would have been so able to express his bowel daily in spite of his constant biting. Or who else could have loved him so much in spite of the biting. Or who else would want to give the time. Who else would work to find the money needed for his diapers and vet bills. Who else was up to the whole project of caring for him and giving him a rich life. He had every type of support he could have needed, he was so fortunate. It is so very sad that with all he had in place for his happy life, this came out of nowhere. And with all the love you gave him, he was taken by an infection from a needed surgery. I am so sorry, for both of you. He had the best 6 years he could have had and his love will always be with you.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

thank you, Carol.
for a week after surgery he felt great, better than he had in years and I spent all my time with him. He wasn't allowed to zoom because he was healing but he got to eat whatever he wanted, instead of laxative soup and he was just so happy. At least he left me after having that week. When I saw him ballooning I knew it was bad. When the emergency vet said sepsis I knew the chance was slim to none, but I had to try. I had to give him that tiny chance. He slipped away during surgery :(
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Aww. I'm sorry for your loss. :cry: