Injured kitten

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Katokits

Injured kitten

Post by Katokits »

Hi,Im new to this site and welcome feedback. I have a kitten about 3.5 months whom I rescued after she was hit by a vehicle just over a week ago. The vet confirmed a fractured pelvis and prescribed cage rest and pain killers.At the moment she is unable to sense the need to use the litter tray but is passing wee and poop. Sometimes I have to assist for the stool to pass but it is soft and formed. Im hoping the nerve damade is temporary and as the fracture heals so will her senses to use the toilet? Any thoughts please?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Injured kitten

Post by critters »

:whale: My Beauty was a big girl who was also crushed by a car, and she hardly turned over in the crate for a week or 2. She had no nerve damage, but the trauma was just so severe. Of course, nerve damage IS a possibility. If that's what it turns out to be, know that gabapentin can be a lifesaver, because damaged nerves can fire off all kinds of weird signals that are painful or uncomfortable. Gabapentin and the newbies can quiet that.
Katokits

Post by Katokits »

Thank you,We have been back to the vet this morning and he told us about a drug we can try for nerve damage. Didnt say the name but it may be Gabapentin. I will let you know
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

They also use the newer stuff, like Lyrica, in critters now, but I expect it's more expensive. Gabapentin's old and should be reasonably priced, but you may have to get it compounded, especially for a kitten.

Also know that there are drugs available for bladder problems, if necessary. In my experience, phenoxybenzamine (PBZ) was good for a spastic bladder, while bethanechol was better for a loose, floppy one, for instance.
Katokits

Post by Katokits »

Thank you,I will take note of all these treatments and discuss with the vet.
Katokits

Post by Katokits »

Update,my kitty is taking pbz at the moment.to see if it helps. She has also commenced. reiki therapy.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

So how's it going with the PBZ? Buddy took loads of it because his bladder was very, very spastic.
Katokits

Post by Katokits »

Hi,Not much improvement with the bladder but she does seem to be sensing the need to empty her bowels.She has started going in the litter box more( doesnt always do anything apart from scatter the litter). She is going back to the vet on Thursday to see if her pelvis is mending and we take it from there. Its still early days ( 4 weeks since her trauma) so Im hoping time is a good healer too!
FYI

Post by FYI »

Katokits wrote:Hi,Not much improvement with the bladder but she does seem to be sensing the need to empty her bowels.She has started going in the litter box more( doesnt always do anything apart from scatter the litter).
Veterinary Drug Handbook, Fourth Edition, p 654, PHENOXYBENZAMINE HCL wrote: Onset of action of the drug is slow (several hours) and increases over several days after regular dosing. Effects persist for 3-4 days after discontinuation of the drug.
Cindidoxiemom in http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6227&p=34109&hilit=phenoxybenzamine#p34109 wrote: Again...I suggest phenoxybenzamine. It takes a week or so to really get in their system and work well.

Cindi
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Oh, yeah, time is key.
Katokits

Post by Katokits »

The vet is pleased with her progress,pelvis healing nicely and she aill continue with pbz for a while longer to see if it helps. Thank you all for your help and support.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Sounds good!