Cloth diapers?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Blackharp

Cloth diapers?

Post by Blackharp »

My kitty was hit by a car he has a bit of road rash and does not appear to be in pain. The emergency vet said he has nerve damage, he is hardly using his back legs, when I found him he was covered in blood and urine. Rushed him to the vet. When I picked him up after everything they said he had some bowel incontinence. When I got home it was a blow out, I don't want to keep him trapper in the shower for two weeks to find out he can never walk again. Does anyone use cloth diapers and how often do you clean the skin? What do you use to clean the skin? If you don't use diapers what do you use? Any advice I would love it?!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Cloth diapers?

Post by critters »

:whale: Are you expressing him (squeezing him to help him poop and pee)? Is he taking any meds? Even using human disposable diapers and the many, many sizes and brands available it tends to be hard to find the right size to fit critters. Even if he doesn't walk again (and, in my experience, there's a very good chance he'll get at least partial function back), he can have a happy life. If he wears diapers he may have to have a butt shave so that the hair doesn't hold pee, and that way you can also use a barrier spray or cream to keep pee off his skin, just like with humans.

As for cleaning the skin, you can use wipes, or you can do a butt bath. You may need to do both, depending on the size of the mess.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

034.jpg
Fripple2.png
Sasha_diaper.jpg
Buddy_diaper.jpg
People more often use disposable diapers. Lighter weight, elastic waist stays on better.

Paralyzed pets do not usually have blowouts, wonder if it was from medication.

Keeping him in the bathroom isn't a bad idea, might be easiest.

It sounds like he got some injury in the lumbar or tail area, I'd want to be careful with his tail when you put on the diaper since it's healing.

Sounds like the vet said you should expect improvement in 2 weeks? A nerve injury can continue to improve for much longer, months and even years, it's gradual.

Here are some videos about diapers.

This video shows taping the tail hole to keep the filling in. It may not be necessary. If the absorbent filling of the diaper is like grains of sand falling out, I'd tape it. Some diapers have a different filling that stays in the diaper pretty well even if it is cut. You'll know when you cut the tail hole. If you have little beads of sand on your table, it probably needs tape, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

This one, she does not tape the hole.

This one shows squeezing the bladder to make the cat pee, then stimulating his bottom to make him poo (cat is paralyzed, not just injured). It explains why she doesn't want him to poo in the diaper. She puts it on with the tapes toward the back, which works better with a lot of animals.

Here is a video about a cat that remained paralyzed and is still enjoying life.

:banner:
Blackharp

Post by Blackharp »

I have NO interest on getting rid of him or euthanizing him! He is acting happy, I moved him from the bath tub to the whole bathroom to give him more exercise. I am so grateful for the videos. Today he had a bowel movement on his own and in the litter box (which is half an inch tall) he has not voided since the first post so I will call the vet first. Thank you so much.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Very good news about the number two. If he has not voided urine for 2 days you may want to look at some of the videos at the end of this article.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027