Please help new to this Skipper my dog is lame both back legs

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
CarolC

Re: Please help new to this Skipper my dog is lame both back legs

Post by CarolC »

kandykane wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:27 am Skipper did take a walk to his water bowl all by himself had to stop half way there but he did it that is about 20 steps, but way back didn't use rear legs figure that's ok he's trying on his own terms
:wow:
Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:newyear: :cheerleader: :clap: :applaud: :elephant: :hurray: :ecstatic: :snoopy: :dancing: :chick: :chicken: :cheer: :bounce: :party:

Yay! Skipper!!!!!
I was waiting to celebrate, there have been several times I thought deserved celebration but this for SURE does. Good for you, Skipper!

So he just turned 15 and his injury was the end of March. There is always hope! I'll never forget Winni the lemon beagle who was 21 years old, attacked by a 90# dog and flung around like a rag doll in February and down on all four for a long time, but up and sprinting in May. Love and home care and time.

In places he would like to walk, are the floors slippery? I've had good luck putting mats down for my dogs. I like the commercial variety entry mats that are 3 x 5 and have a flat black rubber border. They run about $18 at Lowe's, or they did, haven't bought them lately. Another good place is Global Industrial online. Dunno though, your sister very well may not want you redecorating her house. :wink:

Did not realize you did computer repair, that is extremely cool. I managed to replace the power supply in this one, but that's as much as I've done. :lol:

Yay again Skipper!!! I am so happy! Not surprising it tired him out. I seem to remember it is not just because of lack of exercise and muscle atrophy. It is also that it simply takes more effort when the signals are getting through but not 100%, kind of like a stroke victim who tires so easily at first. But nerve damage continues to improve for years.
kandykane

Post by kandykane »

haven't been on line
Too much rain here 7" everyday for a week and still coming down
had to pick up a few trees, small limb came through roof

had to take Skippers pool and tent up, too wet, he's not happy about that
but still doing his therapy and massages, he like his ball
been trying to walk more and more, I dd the pinch test again and really no improvement

good news is got his nails cut, the lady that does his nails gave a surprise visit
she just has been having it rough also, she had to put 1 of her dogs to sleep after she got back in town
and she just has been having it really rough, sat and talked, got her feeling a bit better, sent her home with some homemade cream puffs, when I make them I always make to many not really a sweet eater myself

Talked with the Vet and showed him the bug, he said it was most likely part of the irritant, had to be lounged in there deep or just happened, no nose mites, says has to be the allergies as the are real bad this year for some reason, Skipper has only done a couple inverted sneeze like noises a couple times in the last week, but still has snot (pale white) not as bad, but seems as though he wants his ear scratched down to his neck on 1 side looked and cleaned them they look good asked the Vet about that also, said it could be allergy related if it keeps up bring him back in

Hope you are doing well

Oh ya, the house is all carpeted and a few throw rugs, he does slip around, just think he has a long long road ahead of him and he's got me to get him motivated, even if he gets mad at me at times and he can that's ok, I know this is taking more of a tow on him than me, just wished he could really talk and tell me, I do know most of what he says, but would like to know if he is just tired and thinks this is as good as it's gonna get or what so I motivate him and let him know everyday I Love him and we will get through this
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

kandykane wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:04 pm haven't been on line
Too much rain here 7" everyday for a week and still coming down
had to pick up a few trees, small limb came through roof

You sound kind of tired. That much rain would be enough to wear me out. 7" a day for 7 days is like, 49 inches? You mean you got 4 feet of rain in a week? :shock: Are you building an ark?! It's hot and dry here. The ground is cracked and the cracks are so deep, if I run the hose the water just goes and goes and goes and does not fill up the crack, I guess it is going through to China. :heat: :fan:

had to take Skippers pool and tent up, too wet, he's not happy about that
but still doing his therapy and massages, he like his ball
been trying to walk more and more, I dd the pinch test again and really no improvement

That is cool that he is trying to walk more and more. They do say not all dogs respond to the pinch test, I wonder if he's one of them. :?

good news is got his nails cut, the lady that does his nails gave a surprise visit
she just has been having it rough also, she had to put 1 of her dogs to sleep after she got back in town
and she just has been having it really rough, sat and talked, got her feeling a bit better, sent her home with some homemade cream puffs, when I make them I always make to many not really a sweet eater myself

I was already impressed with the carpentry and fixing computers, but making cream puffs, too? :bake: Critters may know how. I've never tried it, I just admire those who do! :chef:

Talked with the Vet and showed him the bug, he said it was most likely part of the irritant, had to be lounged in there deep or just happened, no nose mites, says has to be the allergies as the are real bad this year for some reason, Skipper has only done a couple inverted sneeze like noises a couple times in the last week, but still has snot (pale white) not as bad, but seems as though he wants his ear scratched down to his neck on 1 side looked and cleaned them they look good asked the Vet about that also, said it could be allergy related if it keeps up bring him back in

I don't have any experience with this. I've had 2 dogs with inverted sneezes, but it was because of the way their nose was made (one a mini dachshund, the other a chihuahua). But they did not get any discharge with it. And I have had a couple of pets with allergies, but it's usually skin allergies. Why doesn't the vet try him on something for the allergies if that's the most likely cause? Really, I'm not a vet but it almost sounds like a sinus infection, because it would be clear if there was no infection, right? This has been going on for a while, it seems like they should maybe give him something?

I'm glad you saved the bug. Any idea what kind of bug it was?

Hope you are doing well

Things are OK here, when I look at any "problems" I can see how it could easily be worse so then I realize I have a lot to be grateful for, so in that sense it's a comfort.

I have recently been going to the Goodwill Clearance Center where they sell things by the pound. I got a bag of 45 max absorbency Poise pads (long) for Dolly for $2.15 after tax. At Walmart they would be $18.84 after tax. I'm really enjoying going and looking.

Oh ya, the house is all carpeted and a few throw rugs, he does slip around, just think he has a long long road ahead of him and he's got me to get him motivated, even if he gets mad at me at times and he can that's ok, I know this is taking more of a tow on him than me, just wished he could really talk and tell me, I do know most of what he says, but would like to know if he is just tired and thinks this is as good as it's gonna get or what so I motivate him and let him know everyday I Love him and we will get through this

He's probably sick of the rotten weather, too. I don't blame him. I hope it clears up for you guys soon! :rain:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

No cream puffs here, either. :mrgreen: A bit of carpentry, plumbing, and electrics, yes, but I haven't had an oven or stove for at least 20 years besides. :D
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I don't have a stove right now either because it is gas and since one of my pets got asthma I quit using it. I keep hoping to find an electric burner at Goodwill, I think those things go fast.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm. How about an "Instant Pot?" "Air Fryers" seem to be a good substitute for an oven; you can even get cake inserts for bigger "fryers."
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Wow! I had to look that up because I didn't know what it was. Pretty fancy. The truth is the way I cook, I'd really just like to be able to boil water so I could make tea or ramen, right now I'm using the microwave. :D :pardon:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I use microwave, too. Slow cooker also, in winter.
kandykane

Post by kandykane »

Thanks, I am tired, last couple days no rain so been cleaning up out there and almost dry enough I can mow the grass well weeds

cream puffs are my Ma's recipe, guess I was kinda missing her and missed getting her advice
My Ma taught us to cook, bake and sew and my Dad taught us to be handy with tools

I have a gas stove myself, don't use it much, mainly crock pot and I got a steal at the dog thrift store got 1 of them nuwave ovens for 5 bucks, and a toaster oven, too hot to use the stove and with the crock pot and toaster oven I put them outside under cover the nuwave just put everything in there and 25 minutes it's done, doesn't heat up the house
I'd like to get 1 of them insta pot or air fryer keep my eyes open at the junk stores always for them
My microwave died and I'm not paying the price they want for a new 1 miss mine, amazing how much you use something and don't realize it till you don't have it
and you are right the electric burners go fast at the junk stores

With Skipper the Vet said give him benadyrl 2 times a day he told me what the bug was can't think of the name
I was thinking the same thing, he has an infection, not sure if nose or ear, taking him to another Vet tomorrow, the lady that cuts his nails called her Vet and asked if she would do her a favor and give Skipper a look over, she cares for all her pets even her horse

And guess been feeling a little down and out so much to do and not getting it done, like taking 1 step forward and 2 back

Skipper is trying to walk more on his own, just don't have it yet but I gave up on the rear harness and I am trying what I seen on you tube use a reusable shopping bag, cut the sides out and place underneath and lift up, seems to work better for now, scared me thinking it would break might double bag him and the handles are just right

Wow that is a good deal on them pads

with Skipper told him the other day, I know you are trying, but if you can't you can't we will do what we can do I did put a couple bids on wheelchairs lost out, the 1 I was trying to put together is 1/2 way there just no time and to tired when got time to myself to do anything

But as you said and you are right there are so many people out there that have it worse
kandykane

Post by kandykane »

Well to much to absorb today

This Vet did a real good exam and a couple of lets see what is what with Skipper

He has Rhinitis gave him antibiotics for 10 days
his chest is not congested clear the way it should be, let me have a listen and gave me a stethoscope

Checked his eyes has a very slight case of glaucoma
checked his ears they are good

had me walk with him with harness, I am doing it properly
while I had him up she checked his legs for movement and strength moved them, says seems like they are some what stiff, but could be he is nervous
she also did the pinch test, said slow response

we than sat for a while outside let Skipper chill out
He had to pee and lifted himself up 1/2 way by himself

She said don't want to dash my hopes of Skipper walking
But she don't really think he ever will

he has the want to try and has done a few steps a let her know on his own
and he does roll over on his back and gets back over
she says she has seen this in other animals

It's just the disc never really goes back in place and the nerves never really heal properly
they will on occasion do a couple steps and such but never fully recover

You could do surgery but at his age and there still is no guarantee with surgery
mentioned acupuncture, as you have before, might have to find a couple of places that do dogs and have a talk with them first

My heart stopped and Skipper is listening and he is smart, he know we are talking about him
got him back to the car and said to him, we will be ok, you just feel what you want to do, we will be ok together no matter what

Got home got Skipper comfy, told him had to go outside and pick up some more limbs so I could hopefully mow tomorrow,
No I went outside and cried I didn;t want to cry in front of him or where he could hear me

But, I am still not giving up and then if he doesn't walk again we will be ok with that too
just breaks my heart
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hey there, replying in blue below. Then I will reply to your previous message separately after that, so this will be 2 posts.
kandykane wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:07 pm Well to much to absorb today

This Vet did a real good exam and a couple of lets see what is what with Skipper

He has Rhinitis gave him antibiotics for 10 days
his chest is not congested clear the way it should be, let me have a listen and gave me a stethoscope

Well good. I'm glad you got antibiotics from this vet, that much is good. I was starting to feel like the other vet was just charging you for exams and not doing anything!

Checked his eyes has a very slight case of glaucoma
checked his ears they are good

had me walk with him with harness, I am doing it properly
while I had him up she checked his legs for movement and strength moved them, says seems like they are some what stiff, but could be he is nervous
she also did the pinch test, said slow response

I'll take slow response. That's fine. Because it isn't no response. Good. Good. And good. Is this the first time you've had a vet actually identify a response? Think I may have told you this already, I don't remember, but it was 149 days before they found deep pain sensation in my dog, that's one day short of 5 months.

we than sat for a while outside let Skipper chill out
He had to pee and lifted himself up 1/2 way by himself

That is EXTREMELY cool. It sounds like he is learning to stand up by himself.

She said don't want to dash my hopes of Skipper walking
But she don't really think he ever will

But he IS slowly getting it back. What you are seeing IS what recovery looks like. It's slow, it's not on our schedule, but a slow recovery is still a recovery. I think some of these pets have a deep wisdom that operates at a speed and schedule that we don't really understand as humans, and they are listening to it and we can try to help if we can kind of tune in to what they are doing and let them lead, or if we don't get it, we can at least show respect for what the pet is doing and step back and shut up and get out of the way. I do not know what kind of experience the vet was going on, maybe she was looking at his age, but she has not seen him take 20 steps and all the other little improvements. And I doubt if she knew the whole story on the dogs she claims to know of that got a little back and that's all. Did they get PT twice a day for months? I'm glad she gave you antibiotics, but beyond that I can't say anything positive.

he has the want to try and has done a few steps a let her know on his own
and he does roll over on his back and gets back over
she says she has seen this in other animals

I've been reading posts on this forum for a long time and some people come here and you can tell their vet is helpful and supportive and seems really up to speed on stuff, and some people come here and it seems like the vet isn't even covering the basic things. I am sorry you have had to go to so many vets just to get basic care for Skipper like advice to crate him, or a prescription of antibiotics(!) This is a little off the subject, but we once had a gal here posting about her dog and she lived in an eastern European country you seldom hear of, I don't remember which one, I'd have to go back and find the post. Anyway, she was listing all the care and treatments her dog was getting there, but she said she was posting on the forum because she felt sure there was more advanced care she could get for her dog in the west. When I read everything her dog was getting, I felt like, ohmygosh, most of us don't have access to anything like that kind of care. I wanted to say, "You don't realize, you are getting state-of-the-art care most of us only wish for." I live in a large city and I certainly don't have access to some of the treatments she listed that her dog was getting. As a matter of fact, I don't care how advanced things are supposed to be in the US, a lot of us wonder where all this advanced care really is, because it sure as heck isn't in our home town. Sorry, that is a little rant, but there is such a high degree of variation in vet care, I don't care what state you are in or even the size of the city. I love my vets and I've had some really, really great care for my pets, but I have also experienced a couple of epic fails at the big regional specialty hospital where they're supposed to be the best. I'm glad you persisted in getting him some treatment for his sinus problem. Honestly, in my experience when a dog is borderline for walking, any little health challenge also affects the walking. I hope the meds will have it cleared up soon.

It's just the disc never really goes back in place and the nerves never really heal properly
they will on occasion do a couple steps and such but never fully recover

Well thank you, Doctor Doom and Gloom. The nerves continue to heal for literally years, and the dog does NOT need 100% nerve function to walk. It took my dog 9 months to walk and I had long since given up any hope and accepted that she would not, and we were just continuing to do PT because it was quality time for us and it was good for her. No one was more surprised than me when she began to walk again. Your dog is only at 5 months and already doing steps and half stands. I would continue to do PT. And probably avoid Doctor Negative because you've got enough to do without having to listen to that. I am so sorry she said that to you.

You could do surgery but at his age and there still is no guarantee with surgery
mentioned acupuncture, as you have before, might have to find a couple of places that do dogs and have a talk with them first

My heart stopped and Skipper is listening and he is smart, he know we are talking about him
got him back to the car and said to him, we will be ok, you just feel what you want to do, we will be ok together no matter what

You will because of the kind of people you and Skipper are, and the kind of relationship you have, but it would be easier if he can walk, and you both seem to be do-ers, so you have the best chance. Sometimes the turtle wins the race, not the rabbit.

Got home got Skipper comfy, told him had to go outside and pick up some more limbs so I could hopefully mow tomorrow,
No I went outside and cried I didn;t want to cry in front of him or where he could hear me

Not surprised. Will answer more in the next post.

But, I am still not giving up and then if he doesn't walk again we will be ok with that too
just breaks my heart
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, here is my second post, one after another, because I didn't want to reply to both of your messages in one post.

Had to laugh out loud at double bag him, that's a good one!! I'm going to post comments after the quote below, not in between the lines.

kandykane wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:40 pm Thanks, I am tired, last couple days no rain so been cleaning up out there and almost dry enough I can mow the grass well weeds

[skip]

And guess been feeling a little down and out so much to do and not getting it done, like taking 1 step forward and 2 back

Skipper is trying to walk more on his own, just don't have it yet but I gave up on the rear harness and I am trying what I seen on you tube use a reusable shopping bag, cut the sides out and place underneath and lift up, seems to work better for now, scared me thinking it would break might double bag him and the handles are just right

[skip]

the 1 I was trying to put together is 1/2 way there just no time and to tired when got time to myself to do anything

I started to reply to this the day you posted it because I knew what I wanted to say and the link I wanted to give you. Then I ran into a problem using the search feature to find the link I wanted to give, which got me sidetracked writing to someone to find out if they did something to the search, etc, then yesterday I was distracted and didn't get back to it, I am sorry. But I was able to find the link I wanted to give you. What I am going to say does not exactly solve the problem, but it may kind of give perspective.

Basically, I would expect you to be very tired out at this point, regardless. You have a medium large dog. You also have your sister you are caring for. And many of us here have noticed that things kind of go down and down for several months before you kind of turn a corner. It is not exactly the same time period for each person, but maybe about 6 months, give or take a month. You are just hitting the 5 month point, you already had a big enough job with your sister, and then Skipper. There is never a good time for a dog to go down, but I think we could agree this wasn't the ideal time. In spite of that, you've been expending your energy heart and soul for both your sister and your dog.

Anyway, there is a good message thread here about this, that contains a post by Anita that we have come to call "The Six Month Wonder". I found the thread and will give you the link. The thread is kind of long, I will give you the link to start at the part about this 6 month crash, so you do not have to read the whole thing. The take home message is, you hit a low point, and then for no known reason, it just gets better. Nobody has figured out why you turn that corner, but you do. I don't know if you would call it a second wind. Maybe at a certain point there's just no place to go but up, I don't know. Anyway, as caregivers we do get to a certain point, and you may very well be getting there, and I'm not surprised if you are just tapped out. Nobody should underestimate what it takes to keep doing this, but the first months are the hardest. Somehow we keep going though caffeine, perseverance, and just putting one foot in front of another out of habit.

Something that helped me immensely was an article I read in a women's magazine, probably about the time I was getting close to my low point. It was about housecleaning. The thing is, I used to be such a perfectionist about everything, and then when I had a paralyzed dog I found I was doing well just to get things done at all, forget perfect. This article gave the example of cleaning out a closet. I think she talked about pulling the shoes out, vacuuming, and not doing any more, just saying "Never mind, it's better than it was". That may or may not speak to you. To me it was like a revelation. It gave me permission NOT to have to do everything perfectly. I don't know, it really helped. Do what you can and say, "Never mind, it's better than it was".

Here is that link. Hang in there. It may not have been the best week, but Skipper is way ahead of where he was a few months ago.

:arrow: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3507&p=16748#p16748
kandykane

Post by kandykane »

I don't know what it is with Vets here
Not sure if they are in it for easy money or what
seems like see them 2 times it's good, then a quick look and get your money and that's it
Is it because Skipper is old and disabled and just let him live for now
I did like the Vet at first, he took his time and listened then it seems he turned like well
what do you think I am suppose to do, but then again he was super busy had an emergency dog come in, don't know what it was but the lady was crying in the waiting room, so don't know
cause I do like the Vet

Yes with the Lady Vet I seen the other day took her time, yes it was the first time got a response from a Vet, when took him to my man Vet didn't get no response

I think and think - these Vets see his age and figure he only has a couple years maybe, so just let him be
you are right they don't know the strides Skipper is making, he is doing it on his terms and he should, he is trying when he feels he can, I don't push him to do more and I won't stop him from doing what he wants to get himself walking
He rolls over on his back and rolls back over, he gets up not all the way but it tells me he is healing
he has taking a few steps awkward but he is doing it, He gets home therapy and massages, thought about trying the heating pad again for a few days on and off
want to put his pool back up but get rain everyday not as much, but to wet out and with that Hurricane coming, might be just a storm when it gets here, but will wait and maybe work in the carport and put the pool in there, clear some thing out

I think sometimes Vets look at someone and say well they don't have deep pockets, not going to make a killing off this one so we will just act like we are caring, kinda like Dr.s for us humans, they will only do what they think we have in your wallet and they don't see themselves retiring off us you'll get subpar treatment

Haha I like that Dr Doom and Gloom

It's ok, get used to negative talk and the looks I get from people when they see me taking Skipper In and out of the Vets office it's like they think why are you letting him live like that, do you put someone to death because they are in a wheelchair or missing a leg, No you don't, they probably give people the same looks

Gave Skipper a much needed bath today and I think we both felt better afterwards
and special supper, gave him some chicken with his food, gotta spoil him sometimes
kandykane

Post by kandykane »

You never need to apologize for not posting here
I appreciate the time you are giving me, you have probably enough on your plate too
So I Thank You for your Help

I think the cry I did was just what I needed, got so much out of my system with my cry,
I think everything just hit me and when the Vet said was just the almost worst, I am not a crier,
I'm a doer and I did get some good sleep, laid down at 8 last night with Skipper got up at 5 this morning
You sound like me a perfectionist, but I am not a person that can sit and do nothing there is always something to do
My sister is getting better slowly too, I went and got her a peddle exercise bike, it's where you you sit and peddle like a bike, you can it with your feet or hands, get her strength back too this way

I know this is going to take time and there will be days that I'll feel like it can't get no worse, but I always see something that gives me a smile and then I look at Skipper and say yep you are my sunshine
put a pic of what I was talking about with the peddle bike
Attachments
bike.jpeg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I like "Dr. Gloom and Doom" too. There are LOTS of them, especially among vets.