Dolly

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Christine

Re: Dolly

Post by Christine »

How's she doing this morning?
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Awww, thanks for asking. :D Clean bed this morning and I gave her a regular size breakfast. I'm still not letting her out till I can mow the yard super short and be sure there is nothing in the grass I'm not seeing. I'm just afraid someone might have thrown something in the yard.

The 2 nights before this happened, she asked to go out late at night, like 9:30 or 10:00, and she never does that. The first time I let her. The next night I told her no and she whined at the door. There was something out there she really wanted and I have no idea what it was. Then she got this diarrhea.

Last night I put a puppy pad in her playpen but it was unneeded. Bless her heart, it was pretty sad to see her in a messy playpen those two mornings. She didn't get anything on herself, but I just hope it wasn't like that for her for too many hours. I got up early this morning and checked her to be sure it hadn't happened again, then went back to bed. She's a very clean dog, they could have named her Daisy... :D

:thankyou:
Christine

Post by Christine »

Reminds me of little routines we have we our pets. We know their quirks, but continually question ourselves. Penny is probably the ideal dog as far as going out. She goes out first thing in the morning, depending on who is home, she either stays in with one or both of us, asking to go in and out occasionally during the day and one final out in the evening. If she ever asks to go out in the middle of the night, I will say "wait just a little longer, its not time yet". If she lays back down, we all go back to sleep; if she come again, I know something's up and will let her back out. Each time, she goes to the door, we have this ritual...I hold her head in hands, look right into her eyes and say "No barking and come right back". give her nose kisses and she is out and usually right back in.

It can drive you crazy wondering what they may have gotten into. Hope Dolly is all better as of today!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Glad she's feeling better. Diarrhea in a handicapper ain't pretty!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

In the last few months, Dolly had 2 episodes of a sore neck, which the vet diagnosed as muscular, and I posted about it separately. It was treated with Robaxin, Tramadol, Rimadyl, and diazepam. I could not figure out what was causing it, although she is 10 and we do sometimes get aches and pains as we get older.

At first I thought it might be because the house was too cold and she was tensing up. The vet told me to keep it at 72-73 degrees because I had another pet with asthma. That may be part of the problem. But I really think the main thing was the ramp.

Normally Dolly goes bouncing up and down the ramp as she pleases. She's been doing this for over 9 years. The ramp is just a straight slope from the door to the sun porch, which is only one step down. There is no landing on the ramp, no level spot. So while I was trying to keep the house cold to prevent asthma, I was not leaving the door to the sun porch sitting open. That meant every time Dolly started up the ramp, she would have to stop and wait till I got there to open the door. Then with all her momentum gone, she had to start again from a full stop, lean way forward, lift her rear, and bounce the rest of the way into the house. Surely that has to be hard. It is easier speeding up the ramp from a running start.

So I am letting her bounce down the ramp, but I am not letting her go up it. So I guess now we're waiting to see if she gets any more neck pain now that she is not allowed to go up the ramp.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Poor baby..lucky for her that you are such a detective. Now, what is bending down to pick her up going to do to your neck and back? Don't you have a stroller that you sometimes use? Would that help both of you??
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

It'll be interesting to see if that fixes her!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Ohhh, Christine, what happened to Bailey's pic? :?

Dolly is only 8 lbs, so picking her up will normally be no problem. I'll just have to be careful for her sake, not lifting too fast, and pay attention to how I'm doing it.

I have also been thinking about her bed. Right now she is staying in her playpen between trips outside. Normally her bed is on the floor in the corner by the kitchen table. It's the standard kind that is high on the sides and back and lower in the front. When this happened, she was having trouble getting into it from the side, so I rotated it so her place of entry would be the front. But now I'm thinking of getting her a different kind with no "walls" or edge to have to climb over. The playpen floor is completely flat. Her bed needs to be low and flat like that, but still keep her warm if the floor is cold. I'm starting to get ideas of what might work for her.

EDIT TO ADD: I just ordered her a bed. It has very low sides so it will be easy for her to get into, and the smooth fabric will let her diaper slide over without much friction. I hope it's flat enough. I'm kind of excited to see if this will work. Then she can get back in her usual corner again!
dog_bed.jpeg
Christine

Post by Christine »

Bailey's picture was there the last time I was here. I will see if I can reload it from my pc (I am on my Kindle right now)

That little bed seems perfect...I hope it helps.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Bailey is back! :D Good, I would miss her gentle face.

The bed came. Dolly tried it and it seems OK. It is supposed to be waterproof and machine washable, but I would still prefer to have a cover on it. It is about the size of a standard bed pillow, so I was thinking about those zip-on pillow protectors. They make all kinds, cotton, quilted, microfiber. Went to the thrift store and didn't see any. They had a lot of pillowcases and shams, including some made from the kind of fleece dog beds are made of. She is used to fleece, so maybe she would like that. She is also used to quilted cotton in her playpen, and I'm thinking that would be better protection for the bed.

quilted-pillow-cover.jpg
Christine

Post by Christine »

Looks comfy...and keep in mind, you can "unstuff" it some if it is too high for her to get on and off. Thanks for putting my girl back up for me!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

That's a good idea about unstuffing. It would not have occurred to me right away, but with all the craft work you do with stuffing, you would definintely know!!! :smart: :hysterical:

I did go ahead and order the ones pictured. The only ones I was able to find have flimsy poly backing that is more like netting than real fabric. I don't expect they will last very long and they were $8.50 each after shipping. I wouldn't mind if they had been double-faced cotton quilted, they might last a while.

Today when Dolly got her nails trimmed I held her so the groomer would not have to lay her on her side on the table. I think that is harder on her neck.
Christine

Post by Christine »

A few suggestions:

https://www.nathosp.com/product/de8010/ ... 8_EALw_wcB

https://protectivebedding.com/products/ ... idEALw_wcB (free shipping)

https://www.dollaritem.com/index.php?ma ... PKEALw_wcB (super cheap!)

By the way,at the moment I have 5 huge boxes (100 pounds) of stuffing on my front porch right now! :mrgreen:
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:thankyou:
Thanks, I had not considered trying medical linens websites. Their products might hold up better. They don't need to be waterproof, in fact absorbent would be cozier so she'll be comfortable.
:sleepingdog:

100 lbs of stuffing??? :shock: Yikes!! :lol:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I ordered them yesterday. Today I get an email from eBay saying they were delivered. They shouldn't be delivered yet, and furthermore, they're not here! So I contacted the seller.

EDIT TO ADD: Correction. They were around the side of the house behind a bush where I never would have seen them, but they were here. Whew!