Please help new to this Skipper my dog is lame both back legs

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
kandykane

Re: Please help new to this Skipper my dog is lame both back legs

Post by kandykane »

No I didn't know about the ear flaps and doing that
The Vet just said need to have drops put in 3 times a day
Thank You for letting me know that
I do massage his ears after putting the drops in
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I didn't know the canals are L-shaped.
:swim:
The problem with head shaking is not just cleaning oily ear medicine off the kitchen cabinets, but a possible hematoma. It usually doesn't happen, but I've had a hematoma with 2 dogs. It can be disfiguring and may require draining, medication, or even surgery. I know cats can get a crumpled ear from ear mites, but it seems like dogs can get a hematoma from shaking for any reason. Also with cats you can get that ear medicine where the vet packs the ears and it's good for 10 days or something, forget what it's called? I don't remember getting that for dogs. If anyone recalls the name, it would be interesting to check.

Here are some neat product for ears.
http://www.animalrehab.on.ca/supports/supports.php
ear_hematoma_wrap.jpg
https://www.dogleggs.com/swim-snood/
swim_snood.jpg
kandykane

Post by kandykane »

Thank You so much for the info

Think Skipper is getting used to the ear drops
he is the bestest trooper there ever was
Think he is saying I don't like it but your going to do it so go ahead
doesn't shake his head as much
My poor baby, I tell em I don't want to be a meany, but I got to sometimes

Man the crap that came out of his ear, but he is not out of the woods yet
and I do clean his ears regularly

Seems like he is doing better already and he finally got a good nights sleep last night
did his little snore for a bit, Love his snoring, doesn't do it often, wished I could tape his snore

Stayed home today and he was a baby today, wanted to be by my side all day he likes to put his paw on my lap and sit with me, so that's what we did, had a lazy do nothing day, no pool, no exersizes, just sat and kept each other company, think we both needed a good do nothing day
tucked him in bed for now, will get my 2 am pee and sometimes poop call,
told him tomorrow is back to normal and he gave me a long sigh haha
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

kandykane wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:58 pm told him tomorrow is back to normal and he gave me a long sigh haha
He is way too smart. :lol: One day off and then back to work. It's amazing how some seemingly minor thing will affect them, and what a difference clearing it up can make. Maybe he's not shaking his head as much because he knows it is helping. :smart: I love doggy snoring, too. :wub:
kandykane

Post by kandykane »

He is too smart, tell everyone he is the brains of this outfit

We did a easy workout today, I had to play catch up on taking the day off, but felt good doing nothing yesterday, we did do pool time and played tug of war again and of course massages and his ball therapy
seems he knows by my walk what we are going to do, but then again I tell him the night before the plan for the next day and sometimes it goes according to plan

It's funny never realized I talked to Skipper so much and yes I listen to him as well, he has a vocabulary and Love the looks he gives me
kandykane

Post by kandykane »

Really nothing new here with Skipper
guess we are in kinda a stagment time
no improvement but no setback either

His ear infection is gone, I think, but going to finish off the drops

been doing his therapy outside the last few days, nice cool mornings out and more room
he still tries to walk, I put a good long sheet outside we sit and move around on
thought really don't want him to get grass burns or get bit
and he will roll around on it
Attachments
Skipper outside favorite ball
Skipper outside favorite ball
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Ohhhh, he's so cute! Extra cuteness! What a great picture! :wub: :wub: He looks huggable! :D

Being outdoors on a sheet makes me think of resistance exercise if you're not already be doing it. You press on the bottom of his foot and try to get him to push back. Any pushing at all counts. It builds muscle. A number of reps like you do when bicycling his legs. If he doesn't seem to respond, tickling between the pads will sometimes get them to kick or kick-and-stiffen the leg, at which point then you can push, and he is pushing back until he quits. Kinda doesn't matter if it's a reflex or intentional in this case, because it uses the muscles either way.

Do not know if I mentioned one of the early exercises the therapist told me. I call it "Scratch All Over". You kind of assume he has itchy spots that he can't scratch right now so you start scratching him. With a little luck, he may start kicking that hind leg in response to your scratching. Even if he doesn't, he will enjoy this exercise. :wink:

I don't know about where you are, but here they're saying we're going to have a warmer Fall than usual.

Big hugs to Skipper!
:grouph:

P.S. Your lawn looks good for this time of year. I didn't notice it at first because I was just looking at him. That's not St. Augustine is it, maybe zoysia? Whatever it is, it looks pretty easy to walk in. It is interesting finding what surface your dog can do best on. People report different conclusions on which is best and I do not know why, you'd think it would be the same for all dogs. Maybe size is a factor? Some do better on carpet, some on grass or cement.

My dog did best on low-pile carpet like indoor-outdoor carpet, or smooth cement. In the beginning she did best going down a downhill sloping sidewalk (didn't fall and drag so much). She had trouble in grass, even low grass would trip her. She also could not do sand or gravel. And slippery linoleum made her lose her footing. (I confess I took her to the Putt Putt while they were closed because I thought she might walk really well on their green "grass"--don't tell!) :blush: But the astroturf didn't work as well as I thought it would.

Anyway, I'm glad you don't have that really thick, dense, deep grass for him to try to wade through. Thin bermuda on packed soil like at a stadium in winter can be very good.
kandykane

Post by kandykane »

Tried the resistance exercise today
he don't like his rear paws being touched never has

But he did push back with his left rear paw pretty good, his right slow reaction time, so I did the tickle the pad on his right side much better response

I have always done the scratching with Skipper, I have felt he most likely does have itch spots he can't itch and I know how that is think we all got the 1 spot that itches and can't reach and he does move his legs when I am doing that stretches them out
I also got a soft bristle brush I move around in circles all over his body, he enjoys that

Really don't know what kind of grass it is and also glad it's not the thick icky grass, Skipper don't like the thick grass and I don't either

Skipper likes doing his exercises outside mostly, think he knows we take more time and he can look around more and enjoy the scenery and think about squirrels, 1 sat and just sat and looked at Skipper for a minutes yesterday, told Skipper we'll give em a run for his money soon

In the house, I bought some moving blankets from harbor freight and put them on the carpet before we do exercises seems he likes it more than the carpet and if he has a accidental accident, I can just throw them in the washer and some we do on the bed

Never thought of indoor outdoor carpet, like the idea you tried at the putt putt, got to try and see what works best

Yes it is going to be a warm winter, was kinda hoping for more cold weather

Gave Skipper a big hug from you, Told him it was from CarolC she is helping giving me good tips for you to feel better and get you walking again, gave me a lick for you
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I see those moving blankets all the time at the thrift shop and Uhaul when I take/get boxes and I didn't even realize you could wash them. I know that's dumb but I never thought about it. :oops: :lol: That's a good idea, the ones I've seen are usually blue so they don't show dirt and you don't have to worry about them.

Don't know if you are still swimming? I just found out the pool I used to go to reopened. They closed it in 2017 and levelled it (so sad, it was so pretty, the sides of the building opened up in warm weather, will attach pic of old pool). They had a school bond to rebuild it and when I called somebody months ago they were not sure they would allow the public back in again when it reopened. But I checked the website and it did reopen Oct 7 and it shows public swim for $4 which I can afford. Gym memberships here are way high here. The only gym that would work for me was going to $69/month, and that was too much for swimming twice a week. I was so bummed when they closed it because when you turn 65 you can get a card to swim free and I was hoping to do that as soon as I qualify, and then it looked like they were going to keep the public out, but now it looks like they aren't, so yay!

Anyway, gonna go check it out today, not swim, just see it. And in the meantime earlier this year I got a suit off eBay that is easy to get into. It's the old fashioned kind they used to make that were solid woven nylon, no lycra stretch, which is much easier to get into and out of when your back isn't happy, because you don't have to tug it. I messed up my back in 2009 after caring for Merlin for a long time and my suit from 2012 was stretched out. I was swimming off and on from early 2012 for 5 years, not all the time but some, then they closed the pool.
pool3.JPG
kandykane

Post by kandykane »

the moving blankets from harbor freight are good for about 5 washings then they start falling apart, get fuzzballs and most times can't get all off, was getting them free there was printing coupons from struggleville harbor freight or couponshy harbor freight also 20% off coupons, right now on struggleville they have a 30% off under 10 bucks so might pick up a couple more
I have also cut them up and sewn them smaller so if I got a hot dish I have to put on the table I put it on them pot holders are too small

haven't been in the pool the last 3 days been too cool in the morning, witch I and Skipper are enjoying and then rain in the afternoon

Glad they got the pool back open for you, I like the way it looks I still pay my 10 bucks a week at Planet Fitness and go when I can and I get on the inversion table also for my back, seems to help I go early mornings when hardly anyone is there, got my old 1 piece swim suit and a tee shirt I wear and they got another machine can't think of the name but you sit and and bring a bar back and forth, helps also with my back, figure for 10 bucks a week got to do more than just swim, then I hit the junk stores

Skipper is funny, been doing the resistance exercises with him yesterday he was stop touching my rear paws, he was that way before he injured himself, you just don't touch his rear paws, he got his attitude but was pushing back, then I left him alone and he was moving his rear legs back and forth, like he was saying if I want to do it I will do it myself Thank You, Love his attitudes makes Skipper Skipper, think we are going to do another do nothing day Saturday
kandykane

Post by kandykane »

Was going to take Saturday off told Skipper
well he had other plans
I got the area where we do his exercises and he knows thats where we do them in the house
I told him, we will have a small breakfast and take the day off no exercises
I come out from the kitchen and said ready, well he's in his exercise area nudging his ball so we did our routine and then ate
took a break then decided might as well get a bath
he is getting used to me doing the resistance exercises with his rear paws, don't bark or growling at me has much and he is trying
today took him shopping with us, got to get the Halloween candy with my neighbor, they are having a get together for the kids and the kids friends and her car is in the shop
Don't have trick or treaters here, miss that, my sister said not enough houses around here and right on a busy highway
Skipper enjoyed getting out today, also stopped at the animal thrift store and Skipper likes barking when we get there, I tell him they will get out of doggy jail. just like you did, you keep telling them they will get out, good boy and of course the man who runs the thrift store came out and gave Skipper his treat and to see how he was doing
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

That is so cool that he wants to do his ball. Yay! :lift: And that he is getting used to the resistance. I'm not sure this is scientific, but I really feel like having your warm hand on the bottom of his foot is the best stimulation there is, like it's a better connection. You're both feeling what he is doing when he resists. If you're like me, that impression of his paw in your palm will stay with you forever. :)

I used to enjoy Halloween, at least when I wasn't working the late shift and could be home to answer the door. Now on Halloween I usually close the blinds and turn off the lights. Here they start going around to houses at 3 in the afternoon, it's broad daylight. There are fewer trick-or-treaters than there used to be, I guess everyone is concerned about safety. But then some houses will decorate the whole front yard and sit out there with scary music and a bowl of candy, they really enjoy it! lol

P.S. if the weather tomorrow is like it was today, it will be cold and drizzly. I remember many times when I grew up, we had to wear our winter coat under our costume, but that's better than rain.

P.P.S. If I was going to do it now, I'd have a separate bowl of dog treats and tell them if they have a dog, take one home to your dog. :lol:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Nobody was moving in my neighborhood last night. I think the tornado warnings scared them home, plus the roads aren't good around me. The librarian told me this AM that somebody she knew in one of these new neighborhoods had 200 people!!
kandykane

Post by kandykane »

Went to the neighbors for a bit on Halloween, the kids enjoyed themselves
we had them outside, knock on the front door get the candy then come in and go door to door in the house and knock and get treats, for the living room and kitchen they just yelled trick or treat, so kinda like trick or treating haha
I grow up in Wisconsin, so Halloween we either had rain or light snow while trick or treating, but we still went out in costume and yes coats and mittens,, it's a shame kids can't go out and enjoy it now
I went out Friday thinking I would get left over candy at the store cheap, nope

I like the idea of dog treats in a bowl too

I did hear some places did cancel Halloween cause of weather, but wow 200 word probably got out safe area for kids

We took the day off today, started doing exercises and Skipper said nope, could tell he didn't feel like it, he had a rough night just couldn't get comfy, my poor baby

and yep his paw in my hand will always be in my palm cause he don't like me messing with his rear paws, but as I said he is getting used to it but, still don't like it
Now his front left paw he likes to put in my hand always has, and I will rub it or just hold it and tell him stories or just tell him I Love him
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

kandykane wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:10 pm We took the day off today, started doing exercises and Skipper said nope, could tell he didn't feel like it, he had a rough night just couldn't get comfy, my poor baby
That was a great idea on the indoor trick-or-treating. Makes happy memories for the kids. What do you think is going on with him not being able to get comfortable? Do you think he is in pain, or was it his stomach, maybe the kids sneaked him some treats? Maybe the cold and damp is bothering him? What do you think it is? That concerns me. I thought he was pain free now after his rest period. I hope it was just too much Halloween. Just a couple of days ago he was wanting to do them.
:thinking:

P.S. We change daylight saving time tonight. My pets can tell time, they know when breakfast is an hour late...