kitten with no toes on left back leg

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Jenny Gouws

kitten with no toes on left back leg

Post by Jenny Gouws »

Hi there,
I rescued a kitten (no. 8 to our household) - he has no toes only a tiny piece of back pad on his left back leg. I cannot get the stump healed/ callus formed. He gets a bit of a scab going but because he is so busy it doesn't last and he is soon dripping blood. I have him under an amazing vets care - who is not keen to amputate (me either). What I am currently doing is putting meds on folded gauze, making a "booty" with the longer gauze pieces - each time he opens up the stump, but don't know how conducive this is to healing because I worry that the wound stays "wet"
I would appreciate any advice.
Thank you
Jenny
critters
Founding Member

Re: kitten with no toes on left back leg

Post by critters »

:whale: Would snug-fitting baby socks be enough protection, especially with bandages underneath? I agree about not amputating, if you can help it. Breaking it open all the time isn't good, either, but if he could keep it long enough to outgrow the baby wildness he might be OK.
Jenny Gouws

Post by Jenny Gouws »

Thank you!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Whatever you try, make sure to not impede his circulation with it.
ChaoticCat

Post by ChaoticCat »

You've got the right idea. Keep it covered til it heals. Just be sure to change the bandage daily and try hard to leave it off whenever possible. Talk to your vet about meds like NSAIDs. There aren't many for cats, and they come with their risks, but they can be particularly helpful in a situation like this by keeping the inflammation down while he continues to bash it around. And that can help things heal faster. If he's on hard floors, and the impact is causing a sore to form, try putting some rugs down. If he's on carpet, and it's giving him a rugburn-like injury, then it sounds like his little stumpy foot's going to have to be covered/padded in any case. Or at least during this whole "silly-kitten" phase. I think you're probably going to want to get that kid used to wearing a bootie on that paw while he's still young. Critter's idea for a baby sock sounds perfect - stuff some gauze, or even the other sock down into the toe for padding. You'll have to experiment for good ways to secure it. Velcro maybe? And remember Critter's other good point: never too tight! You'll have to find a happy medium between too snug and that lightningfast flicking thing cats do with their feet to get stuff off their paws. I'm sure you know what I'm talkin' about. :wink:
Pamelascat

Post by Pamelascat »

I have very similar problem with my cat. Both back legs are deformed . One has a pad but no toes and seems ok and other stump by knee but she puts on down and keeps on opening up. What did u find in the end to help?
Thanks
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Hmm. Making open wounds is definitely not a good thing. I wonder if a "shoe" would help? They'd have to be custom. I wonder if a local orthotist/prosthetist would help? It's nice to be able to take them in for rechecks. My Koi used custom shoes and splints for a foot contracture after having been shot in the spine, and our local O/Ps said they'd help but then didn't. I then got his stuff mail order.