DIY Wheelchair Plan?

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
Macy

DIY Wheelchair Plan?

Post by Macy »

Hello,

I have a GSD which I rescued from a shelter seven years ago. She is now 10 years old and her hips are getting worse.
Currently, I am supporting her with a rear harness, but I am running out of strength carrying her 4 times a day around with 90 lbs.
I am not the youngest anymore.
I can across this website during my research for DIY wheelchairs since I am not able to afford one for my baby.
Does maybe someone have a drawing or plan on how I can make or assemble a good wheelchair by using the spare parts offered here?

https://www.handicappedpets.com/spare-parts/

Thank you very much.
critters
Founding Member

Re: DIY Wheelchair Plan?

Post by critters »

:whale: We used to have a list of all kinds of DIY ideas for wheelchairs; Carol will know how to find it. With a GSD options are more limited because of weight. Some people have had good results from contacting school welding classes and having them try. It may take a couple of tries to get it right.
Macy

Post by Macy »

Thank you for your response.
Welding and such is not a problem. I just do not know how to start without a plan.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

https://www.handicappedpets.com/homemade-diy-dog-carts/

This link shows different sizes of DIY wheelchairs. If this does not do it please post back, I have not searched for this topic for a while and there may be new information out there, I'd be glad to have a look.

:welcome:
Macy

Post by Macy »

Thanks, Carol. That is the page I found on Google, but searching the forum for what parts I need and how to assemble turned out negative.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Macy,

I am also not young and cared for a 63 lb dog I could not lift. It really affected my back.

[EDIT] I started to suggest an alternative but they are out of stock, disregard.

Is your dog active and is she going to run or just walk?

Also, how long are her legs if measured like this?

measuring.PNG
Macy

Post by Macy »

Hi Carol,

she has never been active. She is more like me. Walk.
If I measured correctly, her legs are 19". The total length from toe to back is 26".
Yes, I feel you with the back. It is killing me.
Some would say. put her down. I say, why? As long there is appetite, as long there is life.
Yes, she has hip problems, early stadium of dementia, arthritis, whines a lot, and wakes me up in the middle of the night.
My 81 year old mother is kind of the same and we do not put her down. :D
I love my dog.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I agree. :D
Please check your private messages, the link is up at the top righthand side of the screen next to your name when you are logged in.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Here are some more schematics by Virgil. I'm having trouble getting them to display, it used to work fine. Virgil was a member here and did a bunch of designs.

https://www.box.net/s/ydmiji0yay