Dogs re: Dog Spinal Injury / FCC

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
bea

Dogs re: Dog Spinal Injury / FCC

Post by bea »

Just a post to let everyone know my dog Jade the Golden retriever who had a FCC on Wednesday Nov 24th. has stood up by himself today and he took about 20-30 steps.
I am so happy. I have been doing everything you have suggested and then some. I was at rock bottom and did not know what more to do.
He got a warm bath everyother day i took him out on a sling and rubbed his legs. We still have a way to go. His left leg is not working right but it is a start.
It has been 2 1/2 weeks so i am very pleased with where he is.
Thank you all for all of your help and support.I will keep everyone post as he recovers.
Merry Christmas to All!
critters
Founding Member

Great news!! *LINK*

Post by critters »

Don't forget the popssibility of splinting his left leg if the weakness continues. An example is at http://www.handicappedpets.com/splints/index.htm .

link
Annie

Re: Great news!!

Post by Annie »

That's great news! I've been through an FCE with my dog Bailey back in February and I can tell you that Jade is making excellent progress! Don't give up hope - even after this much time we still see small improvements. Keep up the great work!
CarolC

That's wonderful!

Post by CarolC »

Hi Bea,

I'm sorry to be so late in responding. That is fantastic about Jade, and you have a bright future in canine physical therapy! ;) My dog's physical therapist says it is not unusual for one leg to come back before the other, or for one to be stronger. Oddly, it can switch unexpectedly and the weak one can suddenly become the strong one for no known reason. So they can switch back and forth like that. They don't know why, but it happens. My dog usually is stronger in her back left leg.

Hope to hear that Jade is running up and down the stairs soon. Best wishes to both of you!