Older dog post amputation

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Roseboys3

Older dog post amputation

Post by Roseboys3 »

Hello! Stressing and freaking out a bit. Have a nearly 12 year old dog that went in for removal of a large mass on her leg. In a nutshell, after near removal they ran into major problems and had to remove her entire back limb. While this dog is large breed, she has no hip or back issues however we are concerned if she is going to be able to get up and learn to walk. I know it’s only a day out and she’s still dopes up on a bunch of meds, but looking for advice or guidance as to what others with older dogs with back leg amputations have been through / seen at the beginning.....all of this still hasn’t even settled in with the wife and I it happened so fast and unexpected....
CarolC

Re: Older dog post amputation

Post by CarolC »

Hi Roseboys3,

A dog normally carries more weight on the front legs than the hind legs, about 60/40, and dogs usually do fine on 3 legs. I don't think there has been a large breed senior amputee here recently, but you could try posting a reply in any topic on the forum, and if the person who posted the topic has email notification they will be notified of your reply. You may also find someone currently going through the same situation on Tripawds.com.

https://tripawds.com/forums/#forums

If your dog eventually needs it, they make both harnesses and wheelchairs for amputees so you can go for longer walks. Here are examples:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15395&p=82069#p82069
https://tripawds.com/2008/04/29/new-ruf ... available/
https://www.walkaboutharnesses.com/prod ... ee-harness
UPDATED LINK: https://www.walkaboutharnesses.com/prod ... s-back-end
https://www.handicappedpets.com/slings- ... y-support/

A DIY solution may be all you need:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=21612

If you notice slippery floors are an issue, you may want to get some mats or runners to make it easy for her.

:banner:
Last edited by CarolC on Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix link
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: Yeah, slick floors can be a bit of a problem, long-term or short-term. Tripods don't typically have many problems, though.
FYI

Post by FYI »

Roseboys3

Post by Roseboys3 »

Thanks everyone for the info. Any other resources or guidance super is appreciated!
FYI

Post by FYI »

Cassandra Botil

Post by Cassandra Botil »

I just learnt of my neighbor's dog that it had cancer and diabetes and was to be amputated, so sorry for it.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:welcome: Tripods do just fine, so don't worry. They use an odd gait, of course, but they can do almost anything anybody else can do.
Giovanni20

Post by Giovanni20 »

I'm so sorry. The dog must be going through hard time also. Do not worry, the dog will cope and learn how to walk again
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Giovanni20!
jimfuy

Post by jimfuy »

Thanks CarolC for the advice, the topic is old, but it helped me a lot, I have almost the same situation with a dog.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:welcome: jimfuy!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

You're welcome, jimfuy.

Sorry that one link was broken. I updated it. :)

:banner:
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Hi Jimfuy,

As someone with large-breed dogs, and one who is also 12, I can say that there is stress on their wrists and elbows in the front as they age, even if like mine they have all four legs. I would monitor your dogs' front legs carefully to see how they are doing adapting to the weight-bearing and look at splints or other supports if needed in consultation with your vet.
MusicianDrumist

Post by MusicianDrumist »

LisainCAN wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:19 pm Hi Jimfuy,

As someone with large-breed dogs, and one who is also 12, I can say that there is stress on their wrists and elbows in the front as they age, even if like mine they have all four legs. I would monitor my progress with over the counter supplements front legs carefully to see how they are doing adapting to the weight-bearing and look at splints or other supports if needed in consultation with your vet.
What is the reason of stress on their wrists and elbows? I guess over weight is the reason of that, right?
Last edited by MusicianDrumist on Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.