News: Update on HBC dog (Maverick)

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Nicole

News: Update on HBC dog (Maverick)

Post by Nicole »

as many of you know my boy was hit by car and had a broken pelvis with nerve damage, 4 weeks ago now....He is doing well every day I see a little more improvement. I am having a version of Equine Touch done on him, by one of the founders. She does Canine Touch, which is just starting to be done over here. I can really see the difference in him in the one week she has been working with him, his sensitivity is so much more improved. She wishes we would have video taped him before she started working on him vs. now....he is just using a sling and holding himself up really well and the leg with the nerve damage is moving some. The surgeon told me that it would be months before we got here. But every day I see some more movement, we have lost the urinary catheter because we are just too active. He is almost able to locomote on his three legs. The main leg being the one he had an FHO on in Oct. All I can say is explore the other options that are available to you so far as rehab. My surgeon only said, encourge him to try....I am so glad I got Ivanna to look at Mav and see if she thought she could help, she said all we can do is try. Now she is even encouraged....and the others at the clinic can see the difference when we walk in. Just had to share...
critters
Founding Member

congratulations!

Post by critters »

Have you considered hydrotherapy (swimming) as well?
Nicole

Re: congratulations!

Post by Nicole »

Actually yes, however the only therapy place is a 1 hour car trip and will not let anyone in w/o Dr. approval. However me and my hubby were talking about just purchasing a pool ourselves and doing it that way.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Nicole,

It's always good to hear such good news. There must be many ways to reach the same goal. Your touch therapy makes sense. I take my dog to hydrotherapy twice a week. It is by referral-only like the facility you describe. It's a 40-minute drive each way and our appointments are always at 8 a.m. and I work the late shift so they never see me on a full night's sleep. You get used to it. We go through the McDonald's drive-thru afterward and get a hash brown to split on the way home for a treat. She wasn't sure what to think about hydrotherapy at first but she grew to love it. She squeals when I get out the carrier in the morning, and again when we're pulling into the parking lot. I wouldn't keep doing this if it wasn't so good for her. You just need to make arrangements so your dog can travel safely. I use a carrier strapped in with the seat belt. Best wishes to Maverick and his family! Glad he's doing so well.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Many people around here have done hydrotherapy on their own, in bathtubs, swimming pools, hot tubs, and even natural bodies of water like lakes and ponds. If it were me, I'd use a life vest, in order to maximize independence and safety in larger water sources.
CarolC

Hydrotherapy link *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Here is one article on the benefits of hydrotherapy--click below.

CLICK HERE hydrotherapy w/video
CarolC

Another hydrotherapy link *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

This one is adorable--hydrotherapy at home. Click link below.

CLICK HERE hydrotherapy at home