Urinary: expressing bladder

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Shelley

Urinary: expressing bladder

Post by Shelley »

My 13 year old female dog jumped off the bed in the dark and gave herself a severe concussion. She has been on bed rest for eight days now. We didn't have a lot of hope because we live in the bush of Alaska and no vets. I did fly her to a vet that looked her over and didn't think anything else was hurt. Maybe her spine was bruised but he didn't see any break in the xrays.
My problem, she does seem to get a little better everyday but she won't use her bladder. She fills up for two days and then is in pain and it will finally let loose. He have pushed until our arms are weak. We can't find the little bulb that is her bladder becuase she is over weight. I am thinking maybe I should get a caterter until she is a little more stable. Where can I get one and does anyone have more ideas? Please help. My heart is breaking.
BethT

Re: Urinary: expressing bladder

Post by BethT »

Dear Shelley,

I'm sorry about your dog. I have a dog that has rear leg paralysis. His bladder does not work and I do a combination of expressing him and cathetering him at the end of the night because I can never get all the urine out. The thing about cathetering is that males are much easier to do then females. One of my vets told me that females are usually sedated for the cathetering. Also if she has feeling then I would imagine that it would be uncomfortable. Male or female I would not try it unless my vet instructed me. I did have a hard time expressing my dog for a long time. I think what changed things for me is that I started to express him in a different way then the vets were showing me. They had me pushing with a few fingers of each hand up and back, it nevered worked. I found that I could express my dog by taking both my hands (with all my fingers spread out) and placing them on his (I guess I'd call it on the sides of his lower abdomen) and then I press both hands together at the same time and yes I press pretty firmly until I make a connection and the urine comes out. I have to do this multiple times giving him a little rest in between. I could never feel that "ballon" that everybody was talking about at first. But what I found out after time was that he was not drinking enough water for me to feel his bladder. So I started to end water in his food and now it is no problem feeling the bladder. I don't know if any of this is helping.

Have you talked to the vet by phone? Is it possible that she has bladder stones and is blocked then passes them in a gush of urine. The only other thing that I could think to do is if you can afford to fly her back to the vet and have them keep her until she recovers, this way they can keep her bladder empty.

There is also a lot of info on this site in past postings so make sure you do a search about expressing the bladder. I feel for you Shelley, it must be so hard to not have a vet near by. Good luck and keep us posted. Keep checking the board, there are a lot of people here with good advice. Take care
Dianne

Re: Urinary: expressing bladder *LINK*

Post by Dianne »

Shelley,

Two days is way tooooo long to go between urination. It is possible that your dog now has a urinary infection. Is it possible for you to send him back to the vet for testing, and to stabilize him until his bladder is better?

I learned to express my paralyzed dog by reading the instructions on the internet, and then finding what worked for us. I never felt any "bulb" for a bladder. My dog was also overweight when he was injured, but I still managed to express him.

CarolC has posted instructions on this message board. Link follows with photos. I use two hands and press my fingers gently into the abdomen. My pup rests for a few seconds after urine is released, and then I try again. It might take 4 to 6 times until he dribbles and is finished. See the second photo on the expressing page.

Good Luck.

Dianne

http://www.HandicappedPets.com/Articles/express
CarolC

I agree about going back to the vet

Post by CarolC »

Hi Shelley,

I agree with Dianne's idea of airlifting your dog back to the vet for boarding until she is stabilized, that would surely be best. I will try to add anything I can think of to what has already been said (very good information already given), which may result in a long string of messages with links.

I agree with Beth that you do not have to be able to feel the bladder. My dog is not overweight, however there are times when I cannot feel her bladder. Bulb, what bulb? When her bladder is really full, there's no bulb. All I can feel is a tightness in her abdomen. It feels like her abdomen is big and tight as a drum. I can't feel any contours of the bladder, no shape. It seems to occupy her whole abdomen. I doubt if your dog has a bulb unless she just emptied in the last few hours.

SUGGESTION: Picture in your mind a very large bladder, filling much of the abdomen. Now picture her spinal cord. Now try to dig your fingers in between the imaginary bladder and the spinal cord, puttimg pressure over the top of the imaginary bladder if you can do it without hurting her already sore spine. The reason I say this is that when my dog's bladder is really full, it's easier if I work more on the ceiling of the bladder. Try this moving an inch, another inch, another inch toward the ribs or an inch, another inch, another inch toward the tail, still working up high. When my dog's bladder is very full, you would think it would settle down toward the abdomen and nipples, but instead it rides high up against the back. If this method doesn't work after you've tried it thoroughly, then stop.

The reason I mention this method is that all the advice you read says to push in from the sides, as Beth does, or up toward the tail, and they never mention pushing over the top of the bladder, which has worked for me with a really full bladder I could not feel.

Also, you may have to get farther toward the ribs than you dream to make this work. When my dog's bladder is small (a bulb) it is usually nestled far up in her pelvis high up toward the tail. The more it fills, the farther it advances toward the ribs. You'd think it would just get bigger in the pelvis, but it doesn't. When it uses up the room in the pelvis, then it balloons farther toward the ribs. So do not assume you know where the bladder is. I have found that my dog's bladder is not in the same place every time, and a lot of that depends on how full it is. I imagine at least part of your dog's large, full bladder is close to the ribs. You may need to dig in directly behind the ribs, again not trying to squeeze the sides of the bladder, but rather trying to squeeze the abdomen between the bladder and the diaphragm.

So those two methods, neither one of them involving squeezing squarely on the bladder. In the first you squeeze above the bladder to see if it will trigger. In the second, you squeeze beyond the end of the bladder, again seeing if it will trigger.

If at any time when you're trying, she doesn't empty but you notice a response, such as her tail lifting momentarily or her feet moving into a squatting position, it's a clue you're getting close to the right area. I would do test squeezes that are not hard, checking for these kind of responses. *Test squeezes should not be hard.*
CarolC

Express method head over tail *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Shelly,

I am reposting some messages I posted over a year ago. They describe 3 different expressing positions to use. I agree with what Beth says, you need to find the way that works best for you regardless of what people suggest. Please click on the link right below this message.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/msg/webbbs_config.pl?read=6659 CLICK HERE for info on expressing
CarolC

Express method standing at right angles *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Here is another method. I do not know the size of your dog but am posting this anyway. Please click the link right below this message.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/msg/webbbs_config.pl?read=6660 CLICK HERE for info on expressing
CarolC

Express method from behind *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Here is one more method, which is suitable for many sizes of dogs. Please click the link that is below this message.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/msg/webbbs_config.pl?read=6661 CLICK HERE for info on expressing
CarolC

Ideas with pictures *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

If you click the link at the end of this message, it takes you to simple clear instructions and pictures for two ideas on expressing.

CLICK HERE for more ideas on expressing
CarolC

Ideas with drawings *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

These instructions are from a website of the Disabled Dachshund Society. Please click the link below to see their advice.

CLICK HERE for info on expressing
CarolC

Suggestions for male/female *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

There is information on expressing on the DM website, including different ways to handle males and females. Please click the link below to see their information.

CLICK HERE for info on expressing
CarolC

I hesitate to even say this

Post by CarolC »

but you did mention you are in Alaska. Are you near any canneries? If there is an FDA meat inspector on site, I think they are usually veterinarians. A great percentage of people who go to school to become veterinarians end up using their degree to inspect meat. If there is an FDA inspector in your town, s/he might be able to help. (Sorry, I'm trying to think of anything that might help.)
CarolC

Re: I hesitate to even say this *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

I agree with Beth, catheterization is not an option without a vet first instructing you and providing the equipment. There is a lot to it. The vet has to get the correct diameter of catheter and measure your dog and cut the catheter to the correct length. Then you have to be shown how to feed the catheter in so as not to injure your dog and what sanitary precautions to follow. You have to be given special solution to cleanse the equipment after using it. Every time you introduce the catheter into the sterile urinary tract, you risk introducing bacteria and causing an infection. The only person who is likely to have the equipment needed is a vet, and if you had a vet, bless your heart, you wouldn't need the equipment. Also, the Handicapped Pets website clearly says in red letters, don't try this at home without a vet. I'm sorry, I know you only want to help your dog and I would be pretty frantic in your situation. I think letting her overflow is a better option than catheterizing without the proper training and equipment.

If you can't get your dog back to the vet tomorrow, I would at least phone the vet first thing tomorrow morning and ask them to send you some antibiotics, overnight or FedEx or whatever is fastest. Your dog is at risk for a urinary tract infection.

Whew, Shelley, I hope someone here will be able to say something that will be helpful. I am so sorry you are in this situation. Will be hoping for the best possible outcome, and waiting to hear how it goes. Very best wishes to your dog and her very caring family.

http://courses.vetmed.wsu.edu/samdx/urinary.asp CLICK HERE for graphic catheter demo
CarolC

P.S.

Post by CarolC »

If she does wet her bed, I would praise her and let her know that is wonderful. We are assuming she has a back injury making it hard for her to empty her bladder voluntarily. However, there is always the small chance that she just feels guilty about wetting indoors, and since she can't get up and walk outside and wet as she has done for 13 years, she's simply holding it as long as she can. (Of course that's not good for her either.) It is well to remember that there are many cases where the dog is paralyzed in the legs for a while following an injury, yet still has bladder control. Even if she has bladder control and is perhaps trying to hold it, you can overcome the sphincter and express her anyway. They sometimes suggest taking a dog outdoors to their customary potty spot to express them, because it is their familiar place to wet. If she does have control and you take her out and help her stand carefully so as not to injure her sore back, she may release her bladder on her own.
Martha

My method of expressing

Post by Martha »

Shelley
I hope as you read this you will have gotten veterinary help already for your dog. You have a very scary situation being far from a vet. I am also trying to learn this skill of expression and what has helped me as a woman is actually making a fist with each of my hands and either using the open face of my fist(thumbs pointing forward) or knuckle to knuckle (thumbs pointing toward me when expressing. Perhaps I didn't have the strength in my palm and fingers or I was putting too much pressure on the finger tips, but I had no luck expressing until I used my whole fist which allowed me to use more pressure spread over a larger area than just my fingertips. All the advice written here about positioning with a very full bladder seems accurate. Overcoming the spincter is the hardest part so firm pressure is necessary in the beginning and once you get your dog going you'll have no more trouble. I express all I can, wait a moment and then do it again with duplicate results say 10 or 12 times each session. You can only feel the bladder when it is not abnormally distended. Just find the spot that works for your dog and repeat the actions numerous times each session. I asked a vet at our local veterinary teaching university hospital if this method was OK and he said many of the women students use this method. Hope this helps. Best of luck, don't be discouraged.
Martha
Shelley

Re: Urinary: expressing bladder

Post by Shelley »

Hi everyone:
Thank you all for your advice. I printed all of the letters and am on my way out to try it. Can't take her back to the vet. The first trip cost me $1200.00 and I would have to go further to the vet next time. She is Thirteen years old so we have made the decision to see if she comes out of her concussion and walks again or put her down. Love her like my own kid, she is part of my soul so it will be hard. She is getting her personality traits back so maybe her legs will come back too. Lets hope. Thanks again, will let you know how it goes. Bye