Other: Weeble

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Weeble's :o~ mom Beth

Other: Weeble

Post by Weeble's :o~ mom Beth »

Have to brag(I think) on my boy! I have never heard Weeble bark at any time since I've had him(about 2 1/2 months now) His brother Macho Man has taught eveyone else here to howl. Well I guess Weeble decided to jump on the bandwagon last nite. Everyone here was howling(at absolutely nothing I might add) & I hear THE most pitiful howling coming from the playpen. Weeble was just laying there lending his voice to the others!
Not sure if this is a good thing.....hey maybe I could manage them & we hit the road as a rock or blues group! Hmmm, maybe could call them The Howlings or maybe Dogs Night Out!!!!!! Ya think we could make it to the big time?????? Tee hee;>D
CarolC

Too cool!

Post by CarolC »

I can't believe he never barked before! That is definitely worth congratulations. My goodness, every dog needs to bark.
critters
Founding Member

Oh yes...

Post by critters »

There is NO end to the things they learn from each other, both good and bad!!

Re: Too cool!

Carol~ Weeble still hasn't barked yet! He either growls & grumbles(yes we have a growl & grumble fest here everyday!)or he howls! Believe me I will let ya'll know the first bark he ever lets out!

Beth
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

weebles wobble but they don't fall down

Post by Bendy Kitty »

ooops, wrong song.
anyway

i tried howling once a long time ago, i was about 2 months old.
i was so inspired by a pretty gurlcat that I just sang my bestest. It went something like this

sqqqqqquuuuuuueeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaak!!!
mewmewmewmewSQUEEEEEEEAAAAAAAKKKKK!!!!!!
squeaksqueaksqueakSQUEEEEAAAAKKKKKK!

and mom said something about "why don't any of my cats say meow? they all sound like they need to be oiled."

but then she sent me on a field trip and I just haven't felt like howling since.

I hope Weeble keeps on practicing and is soon shattering your neighbor's eardrums.
if you want him to be quiet, just keep giving him treats. He can't howl and eat at the same time.

ever helpful,
Bendy

Re: weebles wobble but they don't fall down

Bendy~ Thanks for the giggle, I really needed it tonite! Ya know I tell my boy all the time that Weebles wobble but they don't fall down but this Weeble wobbles & he does fall down!
No PT tonite he was really doin a very good Exorcist immitation!

Thanks again &((((((hugs))))))) to ya,

Beth
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Have you tried some of these calming compounds, like Bach's Rescue Remedy or D.A.P. (Dog Appeasing Pheromone I think). I don't suppose they're cheap. Also, have you tried calming him by pressure? If you read the work of Tample Grandin with autistic children who throw fits like, she constructed a long box for them to lie in that exerts pressure along the length of the body and is reassuring. There's a photo of her using it in her book Thinking in Pictures. I wonder if you just took a throw pillow off the sofa and pressed it down over his side and legs firmly (not covering his head) for a minute, if he would respond by calming down.

Hey Carol,I have not heard of these calming agents, do you know where I could buy them? I have tried the holding,it works if Weebles tamtrums arn't too bad. Am waiting till I get paid to get some male wraps,in the mean time if he pees on himself I have to wash him off in the kichen sink. That REALLY pissed(no pun intended) him off last nite. Was able to calm him down afterwards by wraping him in a towel, but it took about 1/2 hour before he totally was calm. He is better about not throwing tamtrums when I have done his PT with him, gets his brain firing differently.

Thanks for the help!

Beth
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Both are widely available. Bach flower compounds include Rescue Remedy and others; DAP has a brand name I can't think of... The kitty version is Feliway. You can get them at kvvet.com, most catalog places, pet stores, etc.

Thanks critters, will check into it. Am also considering splints as he does knuckle over both in the front & back feet. Has anybody here tried the splints? What are your thoughts if you have...did they seem to help?

Beth
CarolC

Re: weebles wobble but they don't fall down *PIC*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Beth,

I did try an Orthovet splint for my chihuahua. I had to order the cat size, and it turned out to be designed for a wide kitty foot and leg, like a Persian. My dog's slender foot and leg floated in it. Supposedly you can mold them to fit better by heating them but I guess I felt too inept to try. You can also add padding, which I didn't try. You can see how slender her feet are in this picture. I was trying to fit her back feet.

Hi Carol. Your little chi's legs looked about as slender as Weeble's. I'd probably muck it up if I tried to heat up the splints to shape them & that would be an expensive muck up! I have also been thinkin about Acupunture. Don't know how many of you on this board have had the experience with a CP pup like me-n-Chris, but if anyone has used acupunture like me know what ya thought & how you think it worked.

Beth
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Many people have used them for traumatic nerve damage and residual paralysis, for which they are GREAT, but I can't think of anybody who's used them for brain damage. Even my Callie was both too messed up to use them and mobile enough in her crab-like way to not need them. FWIW, with humans, they don't seem to extensively brace for CP like they used to; I seem to recall something from WAY back about pain from muscle spasms while in braces, but I'm not sure. Several puppers belonged to the CH Kitty Club while I was there; you might try asking them.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

you could make bendy braces for him

Post by Bendy Kitty »

if you go to my site (link below) and click on my story you will see my little braces. They are made from guaze, vetwrap, and first aid tape. My front legs bent under and these did the trick. they are cheap and easy to adjust :)

Also, Mimosa throws fits like you describe. We found having a dark place to put her calms her down. it coudl be a cat crate, or just a kitty tunnel (we have a tunnel she will now put herself in when she is overstimulated).

hope Weeble gets less wobbly!

bendy
CarolC

link *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Please click link below to see Bendy's website.

CLICK HERE Bendy's website