Story: My Little "Broke Dog" Lindsey

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Margaret Ward

Story: My Little "Broke Dog" Lindsey

Post by Margaret Ward »

I have a nine year old female dachshund, who only has her two front legs. Her spinal cord severed about 3 years ago and after a few months she her self decided to take her legs off. Her legs dangled behind her as she moved around. We bought her a cart and she would not use it. One day I came home and found what she had done to one of her limbs. The vet immediately put an e-collar on her and we watched her for several weeks. She did not bother the limb for awhile but then began to chew on it again. Our vet felt it best to removed the limb at the hip. She went for severl months before starting on the other limb. Once this began we removed this limb as well as her tail. She has been this way for about 3 years. I have to make her urinate by squeezing her bladder and we also have to squeeze out the feces. I only hope when you read this, you understand my love for this dog. When the back problem first happened I thought I would have to put her down, but the vet knowing my girl, Lindsey, told me that as strong willed as she is, he would not do it. So I was happy and that was three or more years ago and alot of diapers, weewee pads and diaper wipes and accidents all over the house. I know no one else with this situation and would love to find someone that has any ideas that might help me. She is extremely active and runs all over the house. I have even made her a sock like thing that I strap to her halter and she even goes outside. Sometimes I can not keep up with her. She has never had any infections as she is kept extremely clean and taken care of. If anyone has this same situation, please contact me, maybe we can share ideas.
Tracy Smith

Re: Story: My Little "Broke Dog" Lindsey

Post by Tracy Smith »

Hi Margaret, I have a 5 year old German Shepherd named Kaeley. She had a stroke of her spine about a year and a half ago. Like you, we have to help her urinate and defecate. She is about 70 pounds and we have a cart for her. At first she just went backwards, trying to get away from the cart. Now she is unstoppable. She waffles her brothers and can maneuver like a pro. She recently began to chew on her back legs which dont work. So far we have only lost a toe, but even tho she doesnt chew on her feet when we are around, she will dive in the minute we leave her alone. I improvised with a trip to home depot and made up two "Braces" made of electrical conduit which I slip over her back legs and tape them to her legs. I got the pipes that are angled at 45* and they fit perfectly. One thing I have done is put her on an all natural diet. Now my sunday afternoons are filled with making dog food. (MY HOW WE LOVE OUR BABIES). She has a great spirit, and as long as she tries, so will I. Let me know if there is anything that you have questions about, maybe I have been there too. My best to you and Lindsey
CarolC

Re: Story: My Little

Post by CarolC »

Hi Margaret,

I have a chihuahua with rear end paralysis. I express her bladder and bowel. She is also very clean and happy and active. She has relearned to walk through extensive physical therapy.

Sheri's dog Pete suffered nerve damage being caught in a door and became paralyzed. He has chewed his foot nearly off more than once, however they let it heal each time. Pete is doing some walking now. There are a number of ideas for chewing feet. A human paraplegic [correction: amputee] on this message board suggested the medication Neurontin for the pins and needles sensation. There are also protective coverings and foul-tasting applications like Bandgard, though it is no longer an issue with your dog.

Have you tried a cart for your dog? I think I have seen a picture of a cart for a dog with no hind legs before. I can try to find it if you're interested. I used a sling with my small dog, we liked it better than a cart for her.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Story: My Little "Broke Dog" Lindsey

Post by critters »

When you tried the cart, did you try putting her in it for just a few minutes, then doing fun stuff--playing, eating, etc? Then work up to fun trips like the dog park, pet stores, or whatever she finds interesting? It's an adjustment, but, with her independent nature, it's one she'd probably enjoy after she figured it out.
Paul Coover

Re: Story: My Little

Post by Paul Coover »

We have a dachshund named Riley that we adopted with a problem with his back legs. We bought a cart for him and he had trouble using it at first. We took him outside and played with him and that helped. The more positive situations that we gave him, the more he got used to the cart.

Dachshunds are really special dogs. Their personalities can be very difficult to deal with, but they are such wonderful dogs. If you want to read more about Riley, click on the link below. Good luck!

http://www.handicappedpets.com/gallery/riley11/
Dianne

Re: Lindsey

Post by Dianne »

Hello Margaret,

I've got a "little broke dog" too. Mine is a 6 year old doxie that was paralyzed in February. He has not attempted to chew off any body parts, but I can identify with all of the other situations that you describe.

My dog, Schnitzel is incontinent of urine. I express urine multiple times per day, but do not express feces. I'm kinda' curious as to how to do that as it would certainly help me keep Schnitzel cleaner at night. He sometimes has a BM in his sleeping box. If you could teach me how you stimulate his bowels, I would appreciate it. I have indications that he wants to "go" when he jumps up and down in his little box.

You are really brave to have done all of his care without any support. This message board has been great in teaching me what to do, or not to do. Welcome!

Dianne
stacy brown (blues mom)

Post by stacy brown (blues mom) »

hi diane! my name is stacy and i know exactly what you mean when you say it would be cleaner for you to make him poop before bed time so he wont go in his bed. my dog blue doesnt have to be expressed from his bowel either. he goes poop about every 5 to 6 hours. usually he is never left alone and is always with me but my new fiance and i have started to make a habit of going somewhere with out the dogs every now and again. it is very troublesome to have to worry about BLUE pooping in his bed and having to lie in it till we get home. what i usually do is use a baby glycerine suppository and he makes a BIG poop. i know i have about 6 hours to go have dinner and a movie with my fiance before we need to return home. works every time! plus its safe. i wouldnt make a big habit out of using this method but for convienience sake it is a great method! look at my dog BLUEs pictures on my website myhorses.us go to smbsminiatures and see BLUE having tons of fun! thanks, stacy brown oh, just push the suppository in his rectum as far as you can and hold it there until he poops. this usually takes about 20 seconds. its easier with a glove on...... dont forget to wash your hands and his bottom after!
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Hi Stacy,

Thanks for the advice re: glycerin suppositories. I'll try them with Schnitzel sometime. That was clever of you to figure that out.

Sorry to hear that your dog once again has a bladder infection. That must be very frustrating for both of you.

Dianne