News: Blanche / wheelchair to donate *PIC*

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Winnie

News: Blanche / wheelchair to donate *PIC*

Post by Winnie »

Dear all,

Blanche's conditions deteriorated so rapidly that immobility was not her only problem. The day before yesterday, I spent over 1 hour to force feed her (she wanted to eat but could not open her mouth widely), she had great difficulty in breathing and had also lost her voice completely. With much pain, we took her to the vet yesterday morning to end her sufferings.

My heart is bleeding and I don't know if and how I could ever get used to a life w/o her around when we have spent our lives together for 16 years. I nearly called her name before I left for work this morning and then realised she's gone....

Anyway, some of you might know, I have ordered an Eddies Wheels (special counter-balanced cart with training wheels so it can turn into a quad cart if needed) for Blanche but she couldn't wait to use it.

Leslie of Eddies is so nice they only charged me the 30% deposit ($165). I just sent her an email to see if the cart is almost finished (they proceeded to build the cart about 2 weeks ago).

If there's only little left to do, I said I am willing to pay for the balance so that I can donate it to a doggie who is really in need and whose owner cannot afford it.

Anyone here whose doggie needs a free wheelchair?

For your information, Blanche is a collie mixed weighing 46 lbs (the poor girl lost 10 lbs in just 10 days after her paralysis) and is 18 inches tall (measuring from her shoulder blade to the ground). In any case, Leslie has all the measurements and you can get more info from her.

Last but not least, I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks to all of you here on this discussion board, especially CarolC and critters. Your advice and moral support has been very helpful and has eased much of my stress and given me comfort during the past month when I nursed my beloved at her time of paralysis.

You are truly wonderful people.

Winnie
Hong Kong

Weeble's :o~ mom Beth

Re: News: Blanche / wheelchair to donate

Post by Weeble's :o~ mom Beth »

Winnie my heart is hurting so much for you. I know how much you were looking forward to getting Blanche her cart & getting her mobile again. Take comfort in knowing you did EVERYTHING possible to help her & she knew how very much you love her.
Please keep in touch with all of us here & let us know how you're doing.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Dear Beth,

Thank you for your kind words. I had wanted so much for Blanche to fight till the end and give the wheelchair a try but that would be too selfish of me to have her sufferings prolonged. J

Just so Eddie's work would not be wasted and that I can do sth for other doggies in need, I've come up w/ the idea of donating the cart.

So has Weeble's cart arrived? I am sure his quality of life will be greatly improved with it. Good luck!

Winnie
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

She's beautiful! I'm sorry for your loss, but how wonderful that you want to have the cart finished and donate it in her memory!

If you don't find anybody to give it to directly, I'm sure Mark, the owner of HP, can place it through the cart loan program.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Dear Winnie,

I am so saddened by your loss of Blanche. You really were so good to her during her life, and I am sure she returned love to you.

It is said that people live inorder to learn to love, and that pets lead such short lives as they already know how.

We hope that you take care of yourself during this sad time.

Dianne
Denise

Post by Denise »

My heart goes out to you in this time of grief. You're doing a very honorable thing by donating a wheelie to help an unfortunately pup become mobile again. Stay strong and always remember the good times you two shared.

Hugs,

Denise
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Winnie,

I read your message late last night and didn't know what to say. What can you say to someone who has lost their dog of 16 years. She had her full life, and a life full of love. She had a terminal illness, but she was comforted and cared for, and that's all any of us can ask. She was a very lucky dog. I know you did everything you could for her and never stopped hoping. What a different world this would be if everyone would care for their pets the same way.

Eddie's could list the cart on their "used carts" page and help you find someone who needs it if you want. Here is the link if you want to consider donating her cart to the loaner program Critters mentioned:

<a href="http://www.handicappedpets.com/dogkart/ ... ex.htm">HP cart loaner program</a>
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

So very sorry to hear of your sad news:(
I think it very sweet of you to think of someone else's needs in your time of sorrow and grief. Our condolences.

Winnie~ Sopke to a gal that works for Eddie & Leslie yesterday. Weeble's cart is still at the welders. She told me it would be a couple of weeks before it was done.
Had a very interesting talk with her. I asked how long she had been with the company & she told me that she had worked for Eddie & Leslie back when she was in high school just when Eddie had decided to try & make a go of this. She said when he started they only got 2 orders a week. She then told me she had moved on to become a vet asst. & a couple of years ago had missed working with Eddie & Leslie so much that she called them & asked if they needed help. She said several times how much she loved knowing they were helping pets around the world get mobile again & that now Eddie & Lesle average 30 - 35 orders a week! I really think this speaks volumes....that an employee thinks that much of their bosses!
Jean

Post by Jean »

Dear Winnie, So sorry to hear about Blanche. Your baby was so fortunate to have a mom who took such good care of her. My prayers are with you.
Marni

To Beth Re: News: Blanche / wheelchair to donate

Post by Marni »

Hi Beth,

I am ready to order a cart for Simon and wanted to know if Weeble got a cart and how it is working. Also, how long did it take from order to receipt of cart. I have been very agonized about this decision.

Thanks!

Marni

Marni

Hi,
I ordered Weeble's cart the 5th of October. I just heard from Eddie's Wheels last Thursday & his cart was done & they were shipping it out that day. Before you get excited thinking that this is a long time for a cart to be made, remember Weeble is getting a quad cart, not a two wheeler & Eddie & Leslie both told me it takes longer for a quad cart to be made. Have not gotten it yet:>( but if it isn't here Wed. will call them & see whats up. I can tell you this, I e-maied pixs of Weeble in the cart from the other company to them & Eddie called me back long distance(they're in Mass., I'm in N.M.) & talked to me for an hour about what would work best for Weeble, the other company took 15 minutes max to get Weeble's measurements.
I'll let you know when his cart gets here....believe me I'll be letting EVERYONE here know when it gets here!:>D
I know this has been hard on you trying to decide on which cart company to go with & I hope that others here that have bought from the other cart companies will let you know how things worked out.

Take care & give Simon a belly rub for me!
Sbee

Re: News: Blanche / wheelchair to donate *PIC*

Post by Sbee »

I'm so sorry to read about Blanche. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. I was wondering if the wheelchair was still available. My dog had surgery for two slipped discs, and we're still not sure whether or not she'll walk again. She's 37 pounds, a sheltie/spitz mix. We would be greatful, if you are able to donate it to us. Her surgery was costly (well worth it, though), and we're really tight on funds.

Thank you for your consideration,
~S

Marni

Re: A cart for Simon

Post by Marni »

Hi Beth,

I have my fingers crossed for you and Weeble. Hope the cart arrives and is perfect! I live in St George, UT so I understand the isolation factor where these critters are concerned.

I sent Simon's measurements in to Eddies today. We measured him at the vet's yesterday. I'll keep you posted and know you'll do the same!
Marni
PS Simon enjoyed his belly rub and sends his love.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Dear S,

I have been contacting the humane societies in Hong Kong on the possibliity of donating the cart to a dog in neeed. Only one of them reverted to me and said they have a doggie which cannot use his hind legs. However, his condition is improving w/ increasing acupuncture sessions. So he may or may not need the wheelchair.

I have dual purposes in making the donation in Hong Kong -- to help a dog in need and to educate the people here that there are alternatives to putting down a paralysed dog.

Anyway, since the society has yet to come back to me, please do call Leslie of Eddies Wheels for further details.

Here's their link.

http://www.eddieswheels.com/

I hope she still remembers me and Blanche. The last when we exchanged email, she confirmed that the parts for the wheelchair were finished but they had yet to assemble the cart.

It would be perfect if your dog's measurements fit the cart (Leslie said Blanche's size is unique). Besides, Blanche's is a counter-balanced cart.

If not, then I need to send an email to Leslie and see if her gentleman agreement to apply the 30% that I paid to tailor-make a cart for another dog still stands. I am willing to pay for the 70% balance as long as the recipient is a dog in need!

Winnie