Other: Slipped Disc in Neck

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Janice

She's home!

Post by Janice »

Well, Chelsea is home! We spent literally hours trying to find her an egg crate pad, but to no avail. Found a twin-size one at Bed Bath and Beyond, but it wasn't completely egg crate (had some "channel" stuff, too). Originally bought a memory foam dog bed at the local warehouse-type store, but then asked the man in front of me (because he was wearing a shirt with the name of a local orthopedic clinic on it) whether he thought memory foam was just as good. He said no. So, I turned right around and returned it.

I forgot to buy one of those carrier things, so I guess I'll try a rolled-up towel when I take her out to go to the bathroom. The vet said that when they picked her up, she would just go. He did see me when I picked her up, and he said good luck. He said she would be prone to bed sores, and I should get her the egg crate stuff. He also said she seemed to be in good spirits. I told him that I hoped to be back in a year with her so he could see her walking.

I also went home with Antirobe (antibiotic), and Dexasone (steroid). But, I have to call them tomorrow because their dosage instructions weren't clear (1 tablet 2x daily, then 1 tablet daily, then 1 tablet ever other day - but, they didn't tell you how long to give the 1 tablet 2x daily before switching to 1 daily, or how long to give 1 daily before switching to 1 tablet every other day). BUT, he did give me more than 1 week's worth.

Other instructions included giving her 400 units of vitamin E daily, and 30 mcg of selenium daily. However, he did not mention anything about physical therapy. I plan on massaging her legs, doing the bicycling thing, etc. every day. My kids will enjoy helping with that.

She's lying in the crib next to the couch just looking around. One question I do have is how to give her water. Should I just leave a bowl in there and hope she doesn't spill it?

Now that I have her back home, I'm a little nervous about getting a good routine going. I sort of wish it was Friday so I'd have some time to even start a routine before going back to work. But, like everyone has been telling me, one day at a time.

Janice
Janice

Are messages disappearing?

Post by Janice »

Just a question, I can't find at least one message that I know that CarolC left earlier (and, I read earlier). Did it get removed (it was titled "Oops, how could I forget?"), or is something just weird on my side?

Janice
Weeble's :o~ mom Beth

Re: Other: Slipped disk, Janice

Post by Weeble's :o~ mom Beth »

Sorry I haven't responded till now, been busy with work, Weeble, my sick pupper Lisa & the holiday.
So glad to hear your gonna bring your baby home. Like everyone here has said, give your baby a chance! When I took on Weeble I knew he would never walk(he was either fed or got into crack cocaine)no I have never had to express him(THANK GOD!) but alot of people on this board do express their pets.
I had taken Weeble to my vet(at that time he was still just my foster) cuz I thought he was having seiures & was told it was time(I had gone on a weekend getaway....very important for my mental health!)I told him we would discuss it when I got back. Talked to Weeble's babysitter & she said these are no seiures, he's throw'in temper tamtrums.I contacted the head of our chi rescue here & told her I would adopt Weeble, believe me she tried to talk me out of it, said I didn't know what I was getting myself into....BULLCORN! I have taken care of all of my babies when they were sick & dying 24/7.
Weeble will be 1 year old in January, no he cannot walk, nor will he ever walk....too much nurological damage from the drug(his cart should be here tomorrow)is he happy? YES YES YES!!!!!! I remember the first time he wagged his tail I cried with happiness! I have a friend & fellow rescuer that does physical therapy with kids, she comes over once a week & we do physical therapy, hopefully will help him keep from getting worse. He loves it most of the time, tho he'll still do what I loving call his Exorcist immitation! LOL(what can you expect, he's a min pin/chi cross!) & if I'm late with breakfast or his dinner believe me he lets me know how pissed he is(sorry the word angry is just tooo mild!) He eats like a horse (you'd think I was starving him! LOL!) When he is thru eating, he'll wag is tail & give me kisses. Makes my entire day!
As far as where to put your baby, since he is good size, I'd buy a play pen(I have two, the regular kind & one for outdoors) I got the out door one thru Pets Mart on line. It's white plastic & runs about $69.
Good luck & gotta say you have come to the right place here....We're all behind ya!

Beth
critters
Founding Member

Re: She's home!

Post by critters »

Hmm. The true "egg crate"-style foam is getting hard to find, you're right. I'd just get a twin-size piece of whatever shape you can.

Is there anything you can hook a bird bowl to in the crib? They work GREAT in a cage--some screw on, some hook. It'd certainly be worth it if you can rig up something along that line to work, because it majorly decreases the number of spills. Maybe you could even rig up a hanger from a coat hanger? Dunno...
critters
Founding Member

Re: Are messages disappearing?

Post by critters »

Dunno...If it was in this thread, it should be here. If it was below somewhere, it might've scrolled off.

I DIDN'T delete it, although Carol might've. Maybe some computer somewhere ate it...
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Great! AHHHHHHHHHHH

Now that she is home, give us a report as to whether she can lift her head and neck, etc. Is she smiling? What do YOU see when you observe her?

Is she peeing when you towel walk her outside? She should urinate at least 3 or 4 times per day. If she has not eaten well at the vets, it may be several days until her bowels move.

I'm sorry to keep you writing at the computer since you lead a busy life also, but others are also waiting to hear about what you observe so that we can better advise you about her care.

Dianne
Janice

Post by Janice »

Dianne,

Trust me, you are not keeping me at the computer. I am googling like a mad woman looking for all the things I need to get Chelsea!

She is very definitely holding her head and neck up. In fact, she keeps trying to push up on her front legs (poor thing can't, though).

The vet said she ate very well while she was there. I haven't fed either dog today, yet (usually feed them in the early evening). We'll try our first towel walk after dinner. I'm a little intimidated by the thought of that. Should I just let her stand there, or should I "walk" her around? I'm afraid I might do more damage if I walk her.

I bought one of those crate/cage type of water bottles, but it won't attach to the crib. I'll have to figure out a way to make it work. I know she should stay in the crib, but I really don't like the idea of her eating and drinking in there; just seems like greater opportunity to create a mess.

It really surprises me how many people I've told I'm doing this say things like, "I don't think too many people would do what you're doing." True, it is easier to take the easy way out, but God forbid if the tables were turned (i.e., I was the dog with the injury), and someone wouldn't give me the chance!

Janice
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

"It really surprises me how many people I've told I'm doing this say things like, "I don't think too many people would do what you're doing." Hey, if that's the worst you hear, you're in great shape!

If she's never used a hamster bottle she may not like it. I'd use 2 D-clamps to hold a lightweight bar or dowel on the crib rails at a good height, then hook 2 "coop cups" on it.
Janice

Did she really just move her back legs?????

Post by Janice »

Ohhhh my god!!! I was just petting Chelsea, and I rubbed her back legs. AND, SHE STRETCHED THEM!!!!!!! I just did it three more times to see if she would move them, and she did!!!!!!

Was that just a reflex???? Or, did she really move her legs?????

Janice
Janice

Re: Did she really just move her back legs?????

Post by Janice »

AND, she tried to wag her tail!!! Maybe all she needed was the steroids?? Oh my goodness, I hope this wasn't just a fluke!!! Wait until I call the vet tomorrow!

Janice
Tinker's Mom

Feeding Chelsea *LINK*

Post by Tinker's Mom »

Janice,

I have been following your story w/Chelsea and I'm very happy to hear that she is home!

I went through something similar with my dog Tinker (the Beagle/JRT seen in the crib in the photo that CarolC posted) last February after his disk surgery.

In reference to feeding in the crib, we did that successfully and were able to contain the mess by using a plastic kitchen drainboard under his bowl. Also, the metal bowl has a removable rubber ring around it- so the 2 rubbery surfaces prevent the bowl from moving around. Also, we would put down a wee wee pad under him at dinnertime since immediately post-surgery he would occasionally dribble right after dinner. You can see pictures of him and this setup in our blog I have linked below. The food bowl picture is about 1/2 way down the page with the caption "Still Standing".

I went through the same ordeal looking everywhere to find egg crate foam and also found it at Bed, Bath and Beyond. We also used a memory foam pad over another pad in his crate. Tinker was in his crib whenever someone was home but crated when left alone. I learned a frightening and valuable lesson when one day about a month after his surgery I left him in the crib (pushed next to the sofa for stability) to walk my other dog. I came back in to an empty crib. He had somehow climbed over the crib rail, onto the sofa and down and I found him in the kitchen getting a drink of water. And, at that point, he could barely stand much less walk. I couldn't believe it.

By the way, 9 months later he stands, he walks, and he even runs- a little sideways, but he runs. Nerves can regenerate. All paws crossed here for Chelsea's continued improvement. Give it time.:)

Tinker's Blog
Janice

Re: Feeding Chelsea

Post by Janice »

Thank you for the link. I just put her food next to her, and she ate. And, I used one of my son's smaller plastic bowls for water, and she drank. I guess I'll just have to figure out a way to contain spills.

I did just try and walk her. All I can say is that I am going to be VERY physically fit once all of this is said and done. I was out of breath by the time I got down the front steps. I don't know who was worse off, me or Chelsea! She didn't go to the bathroom, but I did take her out before she ate and drank. We'll try again in about an hour. If I can get the peeing/pooping thing to go smoothly, I think we'll be fine.

Janice
Dianne

Walking Slings *LINK*

Post by Dianne »

Janice,

You are correct that elimination is the BIG issue with paralyzed pets. Since Chelsea weighs 45 lbs., you may wish to consider a front or rear support inorder to get her out of the house.

Did anyone post about the front or rear supports? I'm going daffy at this time of the day. See CarolC's posting about slings below.

Kicking and wagging her tail are WONDERFUL signs at this point in her injury. Since the injury occurred less than a week ago, it is WONDERFUL to hear of these responses.

Try to get some sleep so that you can maintain all of the work that you do. When you fall asleep, tell yourself that you are now "off duty" and that the problems can wait until tomorrow.

Dianne

http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/ ... read=21040
Janice

Size of a crib? *LINK*

Post by Janice »

Dianne,

Thanks for the words of wisdom regarding sleep. I must admit, I haven't had too much of it the last few nights. But, I feel so much better that Chelsea's home. I kept imagining her thinking that I had abandoned her!

Do you happen to know what size a crib mattress is? I can't find my tape measure, and I'm trying to order an orthopedic bed for Chelsea, but I don't want to order one that's too small or too big for the crib. I'm also ordering a "no-leak pad cover" that's supposed to prevent urine burn.

If anyone has ordered a mat from another website, can you please share the site address? I've included the link to the website for the bed below in case someone else has ordered that item and has any comments to share about it.

Janice

Orthopedic Bed
CarolC

Sounding a sober note here

Post by CarolC »

with the standard disclaimer, I am not a vet and this is not medical advice.

Let me begin by saying I am very glad she is home. I am very glad she has someone who is willing to allow her time to recover. I am *very* glad she is doing so well. Yes, I suspect she is stretching her legs and wagging her tail. Other dogs have recovered from this and I hope she will too. But here goes.

I'm sorry, I wish I could join in with everybody else in simply celebrating, but neck injuries scare me too much. I have a feeling the vet may not have told you this, but if her neck injury would get worse and flare up enough, it could affect her breathing. This isn't a back injury. All of us who are giving you advice (except for one good message I saw above) have all dealt with back injury. The risks associated with back injury are loss of mobility and loss of bowel and bladder control. The risk of a neck injury is loss of the ability to breathe. I feel you can't be too careful.

Earlier, I suggested you potty her in bed. That was so she would have a minimun of handling. That is so her disk has the best chance to heal. This is ***definitely*** what I would do, I am not a vet. I have no problem with pottying a dog in the house, it doesn't bother me a bit. It may sound odd, but you have a dog with a neck injury who has had no surgery to fuse it, no brace, no cast, not even a foam collar such as a human would have. She has no support. I would not have her walking. I would not have her going up and down steps. I would not have her straining every muscle to stand up in a sling. I wouldn't even do anything to make her turn her head any more than necessary, and I would insist on a quiet atmosphere in the room when the kids are around. Others may disagree.

From what I recall of Dukie's story, the Yorkie with a cervical disk problem, he had several set-backs during his recovery. You have to appreciate that the caregivers were able to handle him very carefully, he is so small. They could control how he was lifted and set down, they could minimize the strain, yet he **still** had set-backs. If you want to read about Dukie, you can search under his name or under messages posted by Connie.

Please read this message written by Jacquie about her dearly loved 15-year old dog Sunny who had a problem with 2 cervical disks, and you will see how it is when a cervical disk problem worsens.

<a href="http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/ ... ">Sunny</a>

I am sorry, Janice, I am just a big scaredy cat when it comes to neck problems, and I felt for the dog's sake I needed to put in my 2 cents.

(By the way, yes earlier I started to post a message about bowel care, then realized Dianne had posted the same link, so I removed my message immediately. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause confusion.)