Other: HAPPY NEW YEAR!

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Marni

Other: HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Post by Marni »

Just a brief note to tell all Simon's friends that he and his family wish all a very Happy New Year! May 2006 be the best year yet!

Simon's picture in his new Christmas wheelchair from Eddies is now posted in the gallery. Please take a look.

I'll learn how to post photos myself someday.

LOL, Marni and Simon
critters
Founding Member

Re: Other: HAPPY NEW YEAR! *LINK*

Post by critters »

Can you post a link? I don't see him on the first (newst?) page of the Gallery. http://www.handicappedpets.com/gal04/index.htm

http://www.handicappedpets.com/gal04/index.htm
Marni

Re: Other: HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Post by Marni »

Hi,

Simon is at http://www.handicappedpets.com/gallery/ ... Index.html

That's quite a mouthful! He's the LAST picture in the gallery.

Thanks for asking!

Marni
Christy Mullady

Re: Other: HAPPY NEW YEAR! *LINK*

Post by Christy Mullady »

His picture is adorable! Looks like he's got 'a handle on things'! Loved the poem too. I've got a bit of the 'Simon Syndrom' myself - only I can't fit in that cart! Got a great Irish stick though, which can serve dual purposes...and does! It's refreshing to be reminded that life is just as full as we make it! Thanks for the message that should become my resolution!!! Happy New Year to you and to Simon too.

Allicks & Gabriel's Website
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Marni,

He has a sweet, sweet face, he reminds me a little of my old dog who was a wonderful old soul. I found a short article that might interest you. At least it gives some terminology.

<a href="http://www.petplace.com/article.aspx?id=1015">PetPlace article</a>
Christy Mullady

Re: Other: POSTING PICS

Post by Christy Mullady »

Marni, if you right click on the pic in the gallery of Simon, save in your 'my doc' file as whatever you want to call it, then go to the post site and hit 'browse' next to 'optional graphic upload', you can find simon's pic on your hard drive; click on 'open' and POOF it's uploaded on your message. The picture is realy good! Of Simon AND his 'wheelchair'!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Another article, see paragraph 5, priapism

<a href="http://www.petplace.com/articles/artPri ... 7">another PetPlace article</a>
SandyNY &amp; BC

Post by SandyNY &amp; BC »

That's the bestest poem we've heard!!!
CarolC

One more

Post by CarolC »

This one is from good old Washington State. It has definitions of phimosis, paraphimosis, and priapism. I am *fascinated* by what it says about priapism, that it can be caused by constipation. Holy moly, they could be onto something and wouldn't it be great if it was that simple? Marni, I don't know if you've heard me mention it, but my spinal cord injury dog takes lactulose syrup twice a week or as needed to avoid constipation. Sorry to be graphic, but no way to avoid it. They say the GI tract will take care of itself, and the dog will defecate without assistance. However, if you do some more research you will see also that transit time in the GI tract is made slower by spinal cord injury. The longer the feces stays in the GI tract, the more it dries out, and you get constipation. Therefore, my dog takes lactulose syrup. It is not a stimulant, it is something that adds moisture to the feces in the GI tract. If I didn't give my dog lactulose syrup, and also squeeze her bottom daily to express her feces, she would go eventually. However, as I always say, what she produces is then bigger than what my 63 lb. golden retriever leaves in the yard, way too big in diameter for her, she's only 7 lbs. I seriously wonder if your dog could have constipation. It would be worth a try to get some lactulose syrup from the vet and see how he does. A bottle costs about $12 and lasts a very long time. It is sweet flavored, the yellow kind tastes like banana, and the green kind smells like a cake mix. When I put a little dab in a dish and give it to my dog, she laps it right up. I have found that she needs much less than they tell you in the directions. I would recommend starting at a low dose and see how he does, so you don't risk diarrhea. I use a little syringe and measure it carefully, rather than guess. It is also worth mentioning that my dog is *much* easier to express when she is not constipated. :)

<a href="http://courses.vetmed.wsu.edu/vm552/uro ... nitions</a>
critters
Founding Member

Great pic!! *NoMsg*

Post by critters »

Jean

Post by Jean »

The "kids" and I wish everyone a Happy New Year! -With hopeful no bladder infections the whole year long - wouldn't that be great!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: One more

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

CarolC - I feel like Lloyd Bridges in the HOTSHOT movies (thank you so much critters, I have probably watched both 3 times a week!)
I lost part of my digestive system in 'Nam... Actually I lost it in a hospital, but wonder if the lactulose would work for humans as well. I have no digestion unless I take a pill for it. Which, of course, I hate to do, because I am so lazy.
CarolC

Yes, humans take it, too. :) *NoMsg*

Post by CarolC »

Marni

Post by Marni »

Hi Carol C,
Thanks for the article. Simon's penis is usually out and he cannot retract it. Sometimes, I can retract it in hydrotherapy. He does not lick it excessively and it is not impeded by the opening in the prepuce. So, I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe paraphimosis or some variety. I don't think it's phimosis. I have spoken with my local vet several times and he's not at all concerned. Says only concern would be if the penis got dry or cracked and this is not happening. Loval vet said to apply KY jelly to keep penis supple. It is already supple so I'm not applying anything. It would only encourage Simon to lick it off, I fear. Simon wears a male wrap and clothe baby diaper most of the time.

Can I contact PetPlace and see if they have additional info on his sort of situation? I'm wondering if this is a common problem for paralyzed little males.

Thanks for the info.

Marni

EDIT TO ADD: This condition caused chewing in another dog. Please see the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10910&p=63931 (CarolC)
Last edited by CarolC on Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add important information