Dogs: Eros Update

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Tiffany

Dogs: Eros Update

Post by Tiffany »

Hey everyone
Since you guys have all heard about all the bad news I figured I would share some joy with you. Eros got his staples out yesterday and his activity restrictions where lifted. Today I let him go outside and play with my 4 year old and his friend. He was the happiest dog I've ever seen he was running around and playing fetch. I know some dogs smile but I've never seen him do it (except for with his eyes) I swear today he was smiling. Tears are coming to my eyes as I'm writng this. My baby is back!!!! Last night when I threw the ball for him the first time He looked at me like We can play!? REALLY!? I look at him now and its hard to believe that this is the same dog that I had to carry outside and express 5 months ago. He still isn't the same as he was 7 months ago but anyone who's been there knows that I don't care if he ever gets back there even though I think he will. This is where the pay off comes when you know all the hard work (and stress and laundry and $$$ and of course typing=-)is finally paying off and you can see what you've helped him to achieve. The only thing he really has left to recover from is the brachial plexus thing and regain his strength which wont be a problem because this dog LIVES for excersise. (now we just have to make sure he doesn't go chewing any more toes off)
You guys have been more of a support to me then ANYONE during this even though I've never actually met any of you. Anytime I start to feel down I jump on this site and either someones posted a message reminding me that I really don't have it all that bad (come on, whats one recovering dog compared to what some people face all the time) or there's some great story that warms my heart. Not to mention all the help you guys have given me figuring out what I'm supposed to be doing I really think as soon as someone gets a handicapped pet they should get instructions to come hear. I only wish I had found this place sooner.
Thank you ALL so much for everything.
Eros & Tiffany

PS Eros has a gallery page now for anyone thats interested
CarolC

Re: Dogs: Eros Update *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

It's amazing how happy they can make you, just because *they're* happy, right?! That's a gorgeous family picture on your gallery page. Maybe you could use it on your Christmas cards this year. He's one hunk of a dog. I was thinking, maybe you would consider updating the story from time to time? There are a couple of other gallery pages where people updated. Even from your report today, you-all are another big jump ahead of where you were. Just a thought! So glad your kids are going to have a fine dog to grow up with. They'll remember him all their lives. Congratulations!!!

Eros's Gallery Page
Tiffany

Re: Dogs: Eros Update

Post by Tiffany »

Hi
Thanks for the response. How do you go about updating? Do you just make a whole new page and they take out the first one? And it definitely is truely amazing! He finally gets to go to the physical therepist tomorrow and go in the water. He is going to be so happy!
Thanks
Eros & Tiffany
CarolC

Maybe Critters knows?

Post by CarolC »

Hi Tiffany,

Gee, I don't know how you go about updating, but I know some people do it because I see the updates on their gallery pages, like for example Ivan's. Maybe Critters will know, or I guess you can ask whoever you sent the original information to. (Sorry, my dog doesn't have a gallery page so I've never done it.)
critters
Founding Member

Send it to Mark.

Post by critters »

In this case, you could send him a link to the update here. Sebastian's page is updated periodically, too.
Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

Hello All
Well Eros went to the physical therapists today. She took off his bandage and HE"S WALKING ON HIS PAW!! I was soooo happy to see it.
And they wanted to amputate. Well we'll show them. His toes are atrophied really bad from all that time in a bandage but hopefully we can straighten them out with lots of stretching. There is only one issue there is some kind of growth on his middle toe under the nail. The physical therepist said her UNedgucated guess is that his body is forming a callus there because of the way he walks but it bleeds sometimes I need to call his Vet tomorrow and get it looked at (I wonder how much this is gonna cost) He didn't get in the water today because we were to busy dealing with his paw but he's going back next week.
Thanks
Eros & Tiffany
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Tiffany,

That is so wonderful about the walking on the paw correctly, you waited so long! Yes, they need to check the nail to be sure what it is, but I certainly agree, my dog is very hard on her nails. The ones on her front feet split because she puts so much pressure on them and leans forward. It helps if I keep them short. Fortunately, they've never actually gotten infected, but I wonder if she can feel split nails? Please post when they know for sure what the spot is, and I hope it won't cost much. Fingers crossed here!
Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

Hi Carol
Well aparently the Vet told his "owner" about it when she took him to the vet and she never told me. She also told me to take the bandage off when the vet said to leave it on till his PT app, Its a good thing I waited to talk to him before I took it off. He didn't think to mention the thing when I was asking him questions. He said to just watch it and if it gets worse to bring him in and he'll look at it for no charge(yaaay).
Eros' paw is doing great the only thing is he has too much sensation, he will barely tolerate any toe stretching at all and that is one of the only things holding him back now.(Any suggestions?)He only knuckles once in awhile and he corrects it right away.
It sure has been a long waite I was just starting to lose hope (should have known better, if there's anything this dog has taught me it is NEVER give up)
I am going to update his page as soon as I have the time Both of my boys are having birthday parties this weekend and My baby and the baby that I watch during the week are both sick =-(. Not to mention the new physical therepy routine I have with Eros. I need like three more days in week I think.
Well, I will keep you posted.
Eros & Tiffany