Dogs: Molly Movie - Part Two *LINK* *PIC*

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
kruzen55

Dogs: Molly Movie - Part Two *LINK* *PIC*

Post by kruzen55 »

Hi,

Just thought I'd share Molly's new video. You'll notice about 18 seconds into the video that Molly pees on her own. She can't get it all out so we have to express the rest, but she sure is trying.

For those of you that don't remember or know Molly, she had a ruptured disk in January and the surgeon said she'd be paralyzed in the back forever. As you can see, she thought otherwise.

Tomorrow I'll try and get a video of how we express her pee and poop for those of you that have trouble. It's the only way that works for me.

Take care,
susan

ps. if you can't get in with the link below - cut and paste this in your browser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0yB1X9HOTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0yB1X9HOTY
connie

Re: Dogs: Molly Movie - Part Two

Post by connie »

susan,
that girl is doing wonderful, i was amazed!
i have such high hopes for her and cricket.
he does better outside than in. keep me posted on molly, i been working so much don't have much email time. lol. keep up the good work, are you putting her in the pool now?

hugs, connie and cricket
kruzen55

Post by kruzen55 »

hi connie,

yes, molly has been swimming and those little backlegs are kicking. her right leg is the weak one but the left seems very strong. we're still hoping for more improvement.

the accidents have been minimul in the house as long as we are now trained to take her out and express her almost hourly.

take care and hugs to cricket.
susan
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

Susan, that is great!! I was wondering the other day, in fact yesterday, how she has progressed and low and behold, you post a new message!! I must be psychic, now I must leave you now and make lots of money!! LOL, just kidding, but that is wonderful news!!

Stephanie Tama and Missy
Rita

Post by Rita »

The vet said she'd be paralyzed forever?

There's a lesson in there for us!
terry

Post by terry »

Hi Molly and Susan,

Your baby looks so much like my boy Pugs. He's a cocker-poodle mix but looks more cocker. He also wasn't given much hope for ever regaining any mobility in his back end after herniating 2 discs and being paralyzed, but he too is romping in our yard, like I said he looks just like your Molly having fun sniffing outside.. It took him a little longer, more like 6 mos till he was walking, and then later running, even chases stray kitties from his territory.) It also took 10 months till he started peeing on his own, to command, no accidents in the house. At this point I only catheterize him once a day, before bed, just to make sure his bladder is empty, pretty soon I will be comfortable enough to stop even that. He is just over 1 year post injury and I still continue to see improvement. I have posted before to try and let people know that they shouldn't give up hope, but your video is worth a thousand posts. The man who made Pugs' cart told us that he saw improvement for over 2 years! Thanks for sharing, and wishing you continued good health and improvement for your sweet girl.
CarolC

Boy, can she go!

Post by CarolC »

She looks great! That little squat is priceless! ;)
kruzen55

Post by kruzen55 »

Terry,

I'm so happy to hear about your pugs that is really comforting to hear that he is still improving after a year. Molly is 7 months out of her surgery and every once in awhile i see something improved. She tries to pee on her own but doesn't get it all out. I really hope she will be able to do her bodily functions on her own but if not, we will handle it!

is your pugs able to go up steps? Molly cannot. We kinda wheelbarrow her up by holding up the rear legs and she uses her front legs to climb.

it's encouraging to hear others stories on how their pets have improved above and beyond what their vets thought.

good luck and thanks for the inspiration.
susan
kruzen55

Re: Boy, can she go!

Post by kruzen55 »

i know, it's funny the things that make us smile. molly's little squat is definetly a blessing.

take care,
susan
connie

Post by connie »

susan,
i wanted to tell you that cricket's vet saw his walking video's and e mailed me back that she was amazed, said he was doing great. that made me so hopeful. and i lost your email addy, if you still have mine, send me a note so i can add you again.. i still think molly is doing better than cricket. like her he can't climb up steps, but he can sure run down them. lol.
i am trying to train him on a ramp covered with sheep skin. he is so strong in front legs i think he might be able to do it someday.
take care, give molly and buffy hugs from us.

hugs, connie and cricket
CarolC

33 months

Post by CarolC »

My dog was injured 9/03 and I express her bladder and bowel. Last month 6/06 she went Number Two standing up for the first time since before her accident. She had eaten Petguard Vegetarian dog food and it seems to go through her system faster. She was sitting by the dumpster at the dental lab and suddenly started moving her back feet and looking around at her tail in a panic. (She doesn't want to move her bowels if she's sitting, she would be sitting in it.) So I quick helped her to her feet and she started to walk but I went along behind bracing her so she wouldn't lose her balance and she managed part of it. But my back gave out so I had to let go and she continued walking and dropped one more plop. I was <i>so</i> proud of her. It was like running along beside a kid learning to ride a bike, and then you let go of the seat and watch as they ride away.
kruzen55

Re: 33 months

Post by kruzen55 »

Carol,

Was that a onetime deal or has she pooped on her own since? I know every once in awhile molly goes up one step but that's few and far between.

It's so joyful when they improve. They are the lights of our lives.
susan
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Susan,

It was just a one-time deal so far, but you never know. I thought if I got her PetGuard more often she might be able to, however if the need to go snuck up on her while in her crate, that would be upsetting for her. Usually she can't go at all by herself, much less while walking. I'm just proud if she can manage to get anything out without help. However, I <u>do</u> wonder if Molly may begin to do steps more. She's only 7 months into recovery. My dog didn't even start walking until 9 months. Have you tried putting her at the bottom of a flight of stairs with a treat on each step and seeing if she would go up?
kruzen55

Post by kruzen55 »

hi carol,

no i haven't tried the treat trick yet, but i may, thanks for the idea.

molly hasn't had a pee accident in a few months but can't seem to hold her poop if she has to go. when she's home by herself during the day sometimes she poops and sometimes she doesn't. the other night i smelled something and she was by my feet, she was sleeping and pooping at the same time and didn't know it. but sometimes when i take her outside she immediatley poops. i think she can feel it a little bit when she's awake and tries to hold it until she goes outside. i don't know, i wish she could just tell me....

sometimes it's frustrating but all in all i think she's doing great. and from the sounds of alot of stories here she can still improve for many more months to come. so we're hopeful.

thanks,
susan
Dianne

Congratulations!

Post by Dianne »

Wowee, we get joy from the oddest things in life. Glad that Katie is still making progress! It gives us all hope that things will improve even after many, many months.

Dianne