urine scald

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Taryn Montgomery

urine scald

Post by Taryn Montgomery »

I have a handicapped dog (Samoyed) with the same problem. "Urine Scald" She is in bad shape. She can't go do her business outside anymore and I have her on lots of puppy pads, towels & sheets which we change out constantly as soon as she wets and we wash and rinse her at the very least every other day if not every day however, she has been bleeding really bad. I don't know what to do. We've tried different ointments from our Vet which seems to irritate her worse. We've tried neosporin & desitin. Desitin works best but even that is not great. Help!!!
Any suggestions?
Jennifer

Re: urine scald

Post by Jennifer »

Best thing I ever used for urine scald when I was taking care of Smokey Cat was Bag Balm, it's in a green tin and most Ag. type stores carry it as well as some regular chain stores like Walgreens that sort of thing,,WWW.BagBalm.com
for whatever reason you must type the www. for the site to pop up. I also used to bathe Smokes with Tee Tree Oil Shampoo the kind I used was for humans but they probably have a pet type on the market,, the combo did a really nice job healing his scald and he had even grown a good bit of hair back.
Debbie-Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

My cat, Kat, has suffered terribly with urine scald for months. I tried everything except human baby ointments because they contain zinc which is poisonous to cats, not sure about dogs.

I can't get Bag Balm here in Spain, but I learned about Cavilon, made by 3M, from Bendy's mom, who is an expert on urine scald, she used Cavilon on Legume. It's a clear spray that you put over the damaged skin, it protects the wound from the urine but lets it "breathe" so that it can heal. A bit expensive but well worth the money, it is used on humans for ulcers, pressure sores, etc. You should be able to get it from any pharmacy, or they can order it.

Kat's urine scald was terrible, the Cavilon improved it slightly, but it had got to the stage where she was bleeding and had necrosis of the skin. The vet, desperate by then, put her on antibiotics normally used for leprosy, that he uses for dogs with bad skin problems (I think it's called Rifampicin in English). I tried everything, and the best (only?) thing that worked for her was honey. It's pretty gooey to apply, but it protects and cures, I researched it on the Internet. Her "rear end" is now back to normal, and I am maintaining with just the Cavilon (I sometimes use an iodine spray underneath as an antiseptic if she is bleeding). With the honey I saw an improvement in a couple of days, it took about 1 month to heal up completely, but it has been the first time since I adopted her. Once the skin's better, Cavilon works great.

I recommended honey to someone else whose cat had the same problem but they didn't have much luck (they are using Calendula cream, which I also tried). Honey isn't easy to use- I would put it onto Kat's rear and as it was impossible to put a bandage there, some would inevitably drip onto the floor, it made a mess, but in the end it was well worth it (I have to clean up after her constantly anyway!)

Sorry, message longer than I intended! Please let me know if you find anything else that works...
Debbie
Alisa G

Post by Alisa G »

The 3M info is on Trixie's web site. I got it here from Toni-Sheba's Meowmie.....

Trixie the Handicat
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

fleece bedding

Post by Bendy Kitty »

well, fake fleece.
For Legume, my incontinent boy who at one point had horrid urine scald that required surgery, I would put chamois cloth down then fake fleece on top of it. The fleece sucks away any moisture onto what is below it and chamois cloth is very absorbant.

This gave him a dry layer to be on and worked very well.
When teh scald was really bad, I rinsed teh area every 4 hours (except at night) with Novalsan, applied Desitin & 3M spray, and kept an e-collar on him (which he didn't mind). Two weeks later his belly was gorgeous, no scald :)

You can't clean them too often! I woudl say as often as your schedule and sanity allows!

Bendy

Bendy's site, page down for Legume's links
Debbie-Spain

Thanks, I'm glad too! (message to Bendy)

Post by Debbie-Spain »

It's such a relief only having to deal with the cleaning and not having to worry about her skin so much. Especially now, as I took in 3 1-day old kittens and Kat just smelled that they were in the house and now won't let me touch her! (Unless she wants me to, of course...)
Hope Valentine and Mimosa doing OK too...
Take care, don't worry about keeping in touch, will see your posts here.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

glad Kat is doing better :)

Post by Bendy Kitty »

I've been too swamped to keep up correspondence,sorry!

bendy
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Valentine goes for a trial visit today

Post by Bendy Kitty »

at a prospective adopter's house.
They invited mom over a couple weeks ago for dinner & she was VERY impressed with their kitties (most of them are pure breds. bengal, maine coon, pixie bob) and the care they get & how their house is set up.
very veyr nice. They wanted a special needs kitty, and mom knows Valentinen woudl get good care there - tho she doesn't really need much special.

Mimosa is doing well. She doesn't like all the new kittens running around (they get to zoom around while mom cleans the pens) but she just goes in her kitty tunnel and stays there.

she is getting a few funny white spots in her fur. very strange.

Bendy
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

very well!

Post by Bendy Kitty »

they are particularly nice people. Turns out they knew about my site, but hadn't connected mom with teh site until they came to meet Valentine for the first time. Mom scooped me up and said "you have to meet Bendy" and they recognized cute lil me :)
it was pretty funny.

anyway, the visit went well. Valentine gave their mainecoon headbutts, their bengal grumped and growled but didn't do anythign awful and they said it was typical for him and weren't worried.

they will be thinking it over and hopefully will decide soon. I hope they take Valentine! She would have a great home there!

Bendy
critters
Founding Member

How'd the visit go?

Post by critters »

You eat with your adopters?!! Wow!!! People around here are too cheap...
critters
Founding Member

Poor babies. :(

Post by critters »

A friend of mine, a fellow rescuer, just lost 20-some babies to panleuk/distemper.
Debbie-Spain

Thanks Bendy/Critters

Post by Debbie-Spain »

I'm real sorry too, they were being taken off to the vet's to be put to sleep and I took them in but they were several hours old and already cold. First 5 days they improved then they just went downhill and died at 7, 8 and 10 days, nothing we did with the vets seemed to help. But at least they would purr after feeding so they had some contentment in their terribly short lives. My heart goes out to the fellow rescuer who lost so many, seems there's nothing you can do, they just dehydrate and fade away... These three came from an area where some of the adult cats have FIV, not sure whether that may have contributed...
By the way, Bendy, we had kittens with suspected clamidia and we used Zithromax, which I discovered through an old post on this board, and we saw VAST improvement in 24 hours. Those kitties made it. My vets were terribly impressed and now prescribe it!

Good luck with the little ones,

Debbie

Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

i'm sorry about your babies :(

Post by Bendy Kitty »

i have been lucky enough to not encounter distemper yet. i know someday i will.
we have 4 very sick kittens here, with what we think is chlamydia, but they are getting better with very intensive treatment & meds.

purrs for you and your babies. they had a better time with you then they would have had otherwise!

bendy kitty
Debbie-Spain

Re: very well!

Post by Debbie-Spain »

Sorry, Bendy, for not replying sooner, my baby kitties got ill and all three died (panleukopenia, I think). We had them on drip and everything but the virus was too strong and they had never had their mother's milk as they came to me with the placentas still attached...:-((

I'm glad Valentine's visit went well, here's hoping! I've been looking around for anything on white spots for Mimosa but haven't seen anything yet, will let you know if I do.

Big hugs

Debbie

Jan

Re: Poor babies. :(

Post by Jan »

I've been down that terrible route as well. It's so heartbreaking to take in a street waif, and things go well until panleuk. hits. I lost a darling mama cat and 3 of her 6 kittens in Feb. Mom had a tough time on the streets in bitter cold weather trying to find nourishment. The large litter weakened her enough for the virus to take over I guess. I had vaccinated her when the babies were almost 3 weeks old too. Amazingly 3 survived though when they were about a month old, 2 developed ch! One was not affected in any way. Millicent got a wonderful home with a family I'm in contact with, and Grady (he got snagged up fast too) but lil"Henry Checkerballs" is still with me. Hard to let go of him! He's not too badly affected, but needs to grow some. Cute lil' squirt!