Angel Might Get Increased Rehab Twice a week...am worried

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
auggiebuff

Angel Might Get Increased Rehab Twice a week...am worried

Post by auggiebuff »

Hi Everyone,
Well, Angel is going nuts in her crate. She is angry. It is five weeks post op. She on occasion decides to refuse to pee and poop and then does it in her crate. This morning I found a mess and it took me 20 minutes to clean it up. Then in the afternoon, I come home and she's fine, no accidents. It seems like she's most angry with me at bedtime:)
Tonight we went to rehab and the doctor said she is the same as last week...she had trouble walking on the treadmill, she kept floating her rear legs, so the vet made it harder for her and made the water lower so she couldn't float.
She told me that she will give her two more weeks and if she doesn't improve, she wants to see her twice a week.
Can this just be a hiatus period? Should I be concerned? I'd hate to go to twice a week, that would be $150 a week, and I can't afford that. All of Angel's insurance benefits are maxed out until February.,,,,
In February I figured I could have the insurance company pay for Angel to stay for one whole week intensive therapy. But will that be too late to do any good??
Michelle
Cindidoxiemom

Re: Angel Might Get Increased Rehab Twice a week...am worrie

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Reovery seems to be a bit of a rollercoaster. There are going to be times of great improvement, and then it might plateau for a while. As I posted to you previously. I saw the biggest gains for Oscar when he was boarded and in daily therapy.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
sunspirit

Post by sunspirit »

What kind of rehab are you doing at home? Can you do the bathtub exercises?
http://members.rushmore.com/~dds/Inform ... herapy.htm

I tried it on Tucker but he just sat there. I'm going to use a friends hot tub for swimming next week. It needs to be between 92 & 94 degrees.

I know what you mean about the expense. So far I have been throwing everything on the credit card to deal with later. I have to check into what my pet insurance covers which I'm planning on doing Monday. The place I go to for swim therapy is only $40 for a half hour but I just started acupuncture and that is $65 per treatment.

I think he's making progress though. He went up and down the single step to the living room and he hasn't been doing that. I am a bit concerned because I heard he shouldn't do stairs but it's only one so I'm hoping that's okay.

To me, every day he is still up and walking is progress since his prognosis was paralysis.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I will just add that the information I have on water temperature says the water should be 89-90.

Dogs can overheat in the water, and I would be very careful with watching the dog to make sure that she is not overheating...or showing signs of distress.
http://www.tops-vet-rehab.com/NewsArtic ... 32003.html

Cindi

Sage and Misty
auggiebuff

Post by auggiebuff »

How can you tell the water temperature? Is there a water thermometer I can buy? I probably would tend not to make it too hot anyway. I know that from grooming my cockers, they stand under power dryers for hours to dry...my Oreo is under one as I am writing this note:)
The dryers blow only warm air or coolesh, NEVER HOT air on a dog. If you ever use your human hair dryer, only use on cool.
Yes, I do have a tub, but it has a glass sliding door.
I bet I know what I can do, I have hot running water in their room, I can buy one of those kiddie pools and fill it in the doggie room...sit myself on a stool and walk her? How does that sound?
I have just began to allow Angel to take a few steps off leash, under my command and I am right next to her. If she doesn't listen, then she gets picked up and put away. So far she is listening and is much happier going out to do her business..
Michelle
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I would think a regular themometer would work, but there are pool themometers you can buy at pool supply stores.

My tub has a glass door also...made it hard to work with Oscar in it, but we managed. I think the kiddie pool would work very well.
Cindi

Sage and Misty
auggiebuff

Post by auggiebuff »

Yes, I agree, I think the kiddie pool is the best idea. Much less risk of me or Angel slipping:)
And I highly doubt I have to worry about temp...the shower never gets that hot, it's meant for dogs. It's quite warmish/hot. Their doggie room is off my main floor too, so no steps to carry her up...sounding better...well, guess I'll be going shopping:)
Michelle
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Michelle,

Is Angel in the treadmill by herself or is the therapist in there with her?
auggiebuff

Post by auggiebuff »

Angel was in the treadmill with the vet tech with her, and the vet was watching from the side all the other times. I thought that she did excellent last time like that. This time however, the vet tech had gone home and only the vet went in with her and I was watching from the side.
Either the vet tech was better at keeping Angel level and forced her to walk herself on her rear paws (the first few times the vet tech assisted her, the last 2 times the vet tech said she needed no help)
Perhaps the vet wasn't as good at controlling the situation. When I looked I told the vet "Angel's rear paws are swimming not walking in sync with her front like last time...Then she let out some water, and Angel walked with the rear paws.
Maybe it was Angel and had nothing to do with who is in the treadmill with her.
I'm not sure.
Michelle
missmabelline

Post by missmabelline »

Hi Michelle:

On the issue of telling water temperature, when my kids were infants, I bought a little floating boat from Babies R Us that has a thermometer on it that will tell you the water temperature. It was only a couple of dollars. That should be fine.

Vanessa
Bulldogs Rule!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

auggiebuff wrote:Angel was in the treadmill with the vet tech with her, and the vet was watching from the side all the other times. I thought that she did excellent last time like that. This time however, the vet tech had gone home and only the vet went in with her and I was watching from the side.
Either the vet tech was better at keeping Angel level and forced her to walk herself on her rear paws (the first few times the vet tech assisted her, the last 2 times the vet tech said she needed no help)
Perhaps the vet wasn't as good at controlling the situation. When I looked I told the vet "Angel's rear paws are swimming not walking in sync with her front like last time...Then she let out some water, and Angel walked with the rear paws.
Maybe it was Angel and had nothing to do with who is in the treadmill with her.
I'm not sure.
Michelle
Hi Michelle,

I'd say it was the water level, or else the legs would not have floated. Speed of the treadmill also makes a big difference to my dog. If it is too slow she cannot keep her balance. You're right, the person controlling the treadmill has a lot to do with the success of the exercise session.

The therapist was in the treadmill grasping my dog's ankles and helping her take steps for probably 8 sessions before my dog began to do it herself. Even then, the therapist stood inside the treadmill and was ready to assist if my dog crossed her ankles and began dragging. It took a long time for my dog to learn to uncross.
auggiebuff

Post by auggiebuff »

Yes, Carol!
Thanks so much for making that clear. I VERy honestly thought something was going on regarding that the vet was very inexperienced in that role and trying her best.
The tech was grasping Angel's ankles just as describe for only her very first session post op! Then the tech said it was no longer necessary.
Angel never dragged her rear paws, they were floating as she was trying to use them...does that make sense?
But yup, I think it must have been the water level, as when she took some out Angel did walk on her own with rear legs but vet thought perhaps Angel was just tired.
Perhaps I will look into changing my day when I can have the benefit of the tech being there to help the vet.
What do you think? Or what can I do to make sure that it's done properly? Water level should be Low, speed increased perhaps?
Michelle
Michelle
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Michelle,

Your dog have may learned to walk on the treadmill faster than mine, so it may be that she really doesn't need to have her ankles grasped anymore (congratulations!), but I agree it would be better to have the therapist there. As you say, your dog isn't getting the benefit if they don't adjust the treadmill correctly and you are wasting money. I think you have a good idea to go when the therapist is there.