Tuxedo (1990-2007)

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
Barbara Boehmer

Tuxedo (1990-2007)

Post by Barbara Boehmer »

My 16-1/2 year old cat Tuxedo died at home Thursday night, March 1st, just after 10 p.m. I had him since he was a kitten. In recent years he was diabetic and for the last several months he also had kidney failure and anemia. For the last week he was in and out of the new day vet and the night and weekend emergency vet. Each time I transferred him from one to the other, I brought him home for a brief visit inbetween. For the last few days I just took him to the new day vet, where he got i.v. fluids and brought him home each night, where I gave him subcutaneous fluids. He was also receiving insulin, benazepril, epogen, and nutrived, and had previously had clavamox and doxycycline and pepcid and reglan and a transfusion of type B packed blood cells. He really seemed to enjoy coming home between vet transfers and for the last few nights. In the end, his blood glucose was fairly stabilized and he was eating and drinking without vomiting, but his bun was greater than the maximum 140 that the machine could read, his creatinine was 10, and his pcv was 7. The vets tried everything they could, but there just wasn't enough kidney function left and nothing would raise his pcv. He was a big, sweet kitty who will be missed.

Tuxedo was the third of my elderly cats to die so fat this year. As far as I know, none of the others have any major medical problems, so I think I am going to stop browsing all of the various forums for diabetic cats, crf cats, anemic cats, feline assisted feeding, phosphorus management, and handicapped pets, so I can spend more time on other things until the next crisis. I wil maintain my memberships in each group so that I can still be contacted by whatever functionality each forum has, such as email or private message or notification of response to post.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Tuxedo (1990-2007)

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Oh, Barbara! No! I am so sorry! Tuxedo may have seemed senior to some, but my son's cat is still kickin at 20 something. Tuxedo wound down... I am so glad he had you in the inbetween vet times.
Best to you Barbara, I am so very very sorry!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
BethT

Post by BethT »

Dear Barbara,

I am very sorry to hear about Tuxedo. Boy, three cats dying so close together, that is hard. I also have two old cats both with cardiomyopathy. One is in heart failure right now so I know that feeling of who is next. I don't blame you for wanting to take a break from all the boards, it is so time consuming. I am sure I would be taking a break from it all if ever I am left with healthy animals (not that I am in a hurry for that day). Good luck to you and I hope you have many healthy years with your animals. Take care, Beth
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Aw, Barbara, I'm sorry for your loss. I haven't talked to yoou much lately, knowing you were busy with him. You truly went above-and-beyond for him. :cry:
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Barbara~
You have lost so many of your kids so fast. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of Tuxedo. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
I hope you will continue to contribute to the board as your knowledge is invaluable to others with sick kitties.
Hugs,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Christine

Post by Christine »

Dear Barbara,

I am so sorry for yet another loss in your family. You must realize just how much your dedication to these babies has spilled over to teach us all ( including some professionals in the veterinary field) and I know saved or extended the lives of many beloved pets on the boards where you participate. Take a break, rest and enjoy your other babies, but please don't disappear from all those lives you and your babies have touched - they are all here for you when you need them. Take care of yourself.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08