Question re: Treating Rug Burns/scrapes

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
njrickey

Question re: Treating Rug Burns/scrapes

Post by njrickey »

Hello everyone, I hope 2008 finds you happy and healthy!

Will(or Willy as we usually call him) the kitten is approaching a year old! He is still happy and healthy, playing with the others like theres nothing wrong with him. (He is rear paralyzed, needs expressed, as a reminder) I noticed on him today his first rug burn. I did some searches on the forum, but wondered if you had best suggestions for treatment. I put some triple antibiotic ointment on it, but should I cover it? If so, what are your suggestions for bandaging?
I would love to hear from all you experts the best ways you have found for dealing with this issue. I wish I could tear out all the carpet, but my husband, who is extremely patient and caring, well that would be pushing him over the limit, so not an option. Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Nancy and Willy
connie

carpet burns

Post by connie »

hello,
my cricket had terrible carpet burns .when he was finally through with crate rest, he dragged himself a lot. i tried everything, finally vet sent me to human drugstore for stuff we use on elderly clients who wet themselves.
it is called sensi-care protective barrier cream. i used one other that i can't remember the name of. anyway it worked. finally cricket started spinal walking so he didn't drag on belly anymore. if i was you, i'd call vets and ask them before using anything. so many things animals can't take like us humans.
good luck to you. i cried a lot when i saw cricket's skin, i know it hurt.
hugs, connie and cricket
SnowyWhiteGSD

Carpet Burns

Post by SnowyWhiteGSD »

Can you use "vet wrap" to cover her limbs? It sticks to itself, allows the skin to breathe so it isn't too confining. I have rolls of it here, in case of injury.

Why don't you get some interlocking foam mats from Lowes' to cover the carpet? It might be softer on her. They are not very expensive, and I have been shouting from the rooftops about them, since I found them.

YOu can make a 'safe area' for her with the foam squares so she can move around and be comfortable.

Below is a link for 3/8" foam pieces. The ones at Lowes' are 5/8" but there is no shipping charges (of course)
http://www.getrung.com/froogle/puzzle-1packcolor.html

I hope this helps you too, it helped us tremendously.

Happy Valentines day!! :wub:
Saving one dog may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for one dog!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

The short term thing to do would be to crate him until it heals. That's pretty much what people do in these situations. A wire crate up on the table where he can see out a window (but not get too much sun, drafts, etc.) is ideal.

You didn't say where he got the scrape. If it's on his hips/bottom, then putting a disposable Huggies diaper on him would be great protection and padding for him to slide on. It would not be for his incontinence, but to protect his skin from the rug.
kristenv

Post by kristenv »

There is another product called Mushers secret (at Drs Foster and Smith .com) that is a paw and abrasion protectant.
Perhaps that might help to protect Willy once the injured area has healed??
Kristen
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Snowy, what department did you find your foam squares in? Ari would like some, too. :hearts:
Dianne

Sam's, Lowe's, Home Depot

Post by Dianne »

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:thankyou: Dianne!!
SnowyWhiteGSD

Soft Tiles

Post by SnowyWhiteGSD »

I found my 'foam mats' in the carpet area in Lowe's.

I did post another website that will deliver for about the same price. ($1. a square foot)

Below is a link for 3/8" foam pieces. The ones at Lowes' are 5/8" but there is no shipping charges (of course)

http://www.getrung.com/froogle/puzzle-1packcolor.html

The product above has border pieces too! I think these are great for any area in the house.
Saving one dog may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for one dog!!
Christine

Mats

Post by Christine »

I 've seen them at Sam's too. How about the little bag suit someone made (Mystic Kitty?) to protect their bottoms?
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
njrickey

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Post by njrickey »

I will definitely look for these products. I found a bottle of 3M Liquid Bandage at Petsmart, I am trying it right now, will see how this goes.

Where do you get the Vet Wrap? I didn't see that at the petstore? Is it something I would get at a place like Rural King (for horses or something)?

Actually, I have figured out that the sore is not coming from the carpet....its coming from his Simple Solutions diaper garment rubbing that leg because of the way he twists when he drags. He has been wearing these pants ever since we brought him home last summer, with no problems at all until now. The sore is on his inner thigh. I'm not sure if diapers would be any better?

If you have suggestions for other incontinence garments for a cat, let me know. I may actually go to my seamstress and see if she could custom make something. He needs something with legs, like bike shorts :)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yes, you can get vet wrap at a feed store; sometimes people use it decoratively in horses' manes and tails. It's that stuff that comes in blazing colors, is elastic, and sticks to itself without pins, tape, etc.

I'd definitely give him a rest from the diapers he's been wearing and try baby diapers, Amy's diapers, or something else. See the incontinence bb for recent posts about them. Amy has offered her directions here. http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/ ... hp?t=10820
njrickey

Found the Vet Wrap

Post by njrickey »

Yep, after I wrote my question about finding it, I called our local Feed store, and they knew exactly what I was talking about. I'm going to get some this afternoon! I'll let you know how it works for us.

I'm wondering.....do they ever develop callouses in places where they drag?

Thanks again so much for your help! I took a couple of new pix of Willy this afternoon with his pants on, I'll have to post them.
jrmende63

Re: Question re: Treating Rug Burns/scrapes

Post by jrmende63 »

njrickey wrote:Hello everyone, I hope 2008 finds you happy and healthy!

Will(or Willy as we usually call him) the kitten is approaching a year old! He is still happy and healthy, playing with the others like theres nothing wrong with him. (He is rear paralyzed, needs expressed, as a reminder) I noticed on him today his first rug burn. I did some searches on the forum, but wondered if you had best suggestions for treatment. I put some triple antibiotic ointment on it, but should I cover it? If so, what are your suggestions for bandaging?
I would love to hear from all you experts the best ways you have found for dealing with this issue. I wish I could tear out all the carpet, but my husband, who is extremely patient and caring, well that would be pushing him over the limit, so not an option. Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Nancy and Willy
I know this sounds crazy, but I healed a decubitus on Champs leg in 2 days with olive oil and coconut oil. I was told about this from a friend at work that had problems and used these two things with wonderful results. I just rubbed the olive oil into his wound 2-3 times a day and rubbed the coconut oil in 2 times a day. It literally healed from a nasty weeping wound to closed and healed in 2 days. The surgeon and vet said go ahead the oils can't hurt him and may help! Coconut oil will give them loose stools if they are allowed to lick very much of it. Champ could not reach his leg at the time and it soaks in within a few mins. I use the combination on anything that gets scraped now...including me! works great! Julie and Champ
Goldens are wonderful!
marcothomus

Re: Question re: Treating Rug Burns/scrapes

Post by marcothomus »

Hello Guys,

Mat consume is damage that numerous individuals involved with some point throughout everyday life. You may review having floor covering consume in the wake of falling on a cover as a youngster, or your own kids may once in a while wind up with an agonizing carpet consume wound. Additionally called a contact to consume or cover consume, mat consume happens when the skin rubs or slides against a grating surface like a mat or cover. Regularly, carpet consume is minor and doesn't cause enduring issues. To maintain a strategic distance from potential confusions, for example, contamination, it's critical to see how to treat these skin wounds.