My Bailey

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
rookiemum

Re: My Bailey

Post by rookiemum »

Thanks for the links. I really liked "Gracies Anthem", I sent it to my DH who is just not getting why I keep taking care of Bailey.

His penis loooks a little smaller today. He has been a little constipated, but I am afraid to give him anything to loosen him up, I do not need a 60 lb dog with diarrhea. :shock:
I'll try some of the hints to get him to drink more water, maybe that will help.

Pam
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Pam,

I hope you will post an update later (days or weeks) if you have one. As far as I can remember, it didn't really cause Simon a problem. Anyway, anything you may be able to add later will help someone down the line :)

EDIT TO ADD: Continue reading this thread, the condition did cause this Bailey a problem and he chewed himself badly.
Last edited by CarolC on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add important information
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Yes, I try to get on once a month (at least) and post an update. Today it is about the same, if it continues I may have to start using a wrap on him, just to protect his penis.

Pam
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi Pam,
I just want to say keep a real sharp eye out for the UTI's in a downer dog.
Buster has one now I never saw this one coming.
I wish you all the best hang in there.
Caroline
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Thanks, I made the decision months ago to keep him on a daily dose of antibiotic. It's been working very well, he hasn't had an infection since we started doing that.

Pam
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

This is not for the squeamish-

Bailey chewed off part of his penis last week.

I came home from work and towels, blanket, dog, everything was covered in blood. I took him out in the yard, I could tell he was bleeding from his penis, but not exactly where he was injured (he still had his penis at this point). I cleaned him up the best I could, and went in the house to get a grip. When I went back outside a few minutes later I couldn't see his penis anymore, and there were "parts" laying on the ground under him. He actually looked comfortable, and not upset at all. I almost fainted.

He had bled so much, I thought he won't live through the night. I gave him some pain medicine (just in case, he didn't seem bothered by his "surgery"), wrapped him up and brought him inside. We decided not to take him to the vet, just let him pass peacefully away at home.

I got up early the next morning, and guess who is sitting up in his pen, looking for breakfast? He gobbled his food, and half of Buddys (our other dog). He was weak for a couple days, and the plumbing wasn't working very well, but its been 8 days and he keeps getting better. He was chasing birds in the yard the last two days.

:shock:
Pam
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'd get him on gabapentin/Neurontin in case he's getting zaps; you don't need him getting in the habit of eating himself!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I can only begin to imagine what you must have been through. I wish we (I or anyone) had known it might be bothering him. I am the one who said that with Marni's dog, Simon, it didn't seem to be a problem, which was what I understood from that situation and it was the only similar situation I knew of. I'll go back to edit in a link to this thread for anyone who reads my previous messages. I am amazed that he is feeling so much better. I agree with critters about the gabapentin. I wonder if this might have been avoided (if anyone had known). I can't believe he feels so much better.

Do you have him in a male wrap? How is the area looking? I'm thinking of whether having urine contact it will be a problem. It's good that he's already on antibiotics. Do you have Neosporin on it or something? How upsetting for you, even if he seems to feel it's an improvement. I'm glad you posted so other people will know.
Get Well Soon.jpg
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Wow I never heard of this, I am glad he's OK.
We need to know more about this subject, that would be helpful in case someone else gets this problem, or if there were symptoms that could have been a warning.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi Pam,
I just do not understand how the dog , can not be in pain with a missing body part.
Let alone pee how does this work? :o :shock:
When you said he was chasing birds do you mean that he is walking and running again?
Please explain I really would like to know.

Thou art true and honest as a dog.
Sir John Davies
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

CarolC wrote: I wonder if this might have been avoided (if anyone had known). ]
My guess is a definite maybe :D , but I can't think of ANY way anybody could have known. After all, this is pretty uncommon in humans, who can tell us what it's about, much less critters, who can't!! Still, I'd do gabapentin now, just in case.

I agree--that's a case for the books!! :shock:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I guess we knew chewing was possible, but never heard of it in association with priapism. I might have expected some worrying of the area before actual damage was done, and there's a lesson in that. Don't necessarily expect to see "warning signs" before chewing. :(
pmilner wrote:Neuropathic pain (abnormal signals from the spinal cord)

This type of pain is uncommon and usually felt at or below the level of the injury. Abnormal signals from the nerves damaged by the SCI feel like mild tinglings to very painful on-fire sensations causing a dog to lick, chew and in some cases chew off a foot, penis, or more tragic lethal damage. These abnormal signals explain why a paralyzed dog can feel neuropathic pain in an area that otherwise has no sensation.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10254&p=51527
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Bailey was licking at his penis, but I thought it was from the priapism. It didn't seem to bother him.

When I said he was chasing birds, he's not running or walking (I wish). He just pulls himslf along on his bottom. I had him in the sling one day and he took off after a bird and almost pulled me over. He is very strong, I wish there was $$ for a wheelchair, but there is not.

Its hard to get the outside part pulled back far enough to look at the area he chewed. I try, but I've only gotten a good look at it about 3 times. He is peeing, it doesn't come out as good as it used to when I express him, and he leaks too. I try keeping a wrap on him, I haven't found anything that works really well yet, it keeps slipping off.

How much does Neurotin cost? My husband is having a fit-he wants Bailey euthanized. I've been having medical problems, we owe $1,000 for me (and now I need an MRI), so costs are an issue for us. Its very stressful, I do the best I can for Bailey, but I am very limited in what I can do.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate everyones help and concern.

Pam
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi Pam,
Thanks for the update, it just sounds like a horrible situation for all of you.
I can feel your stress in your words. I wish there was something that I could do or anyone for that matter.
You know the saying it is what it is.
When I came so close to putting Buster down just a short time ago, the money thing really came into play and now I just work to pay a vet bill and credit card off.
Theres plenty of things I could have used the cash for, like having my ac fixed in my black truck for one. Driving for 5 years in 105 degree heat at times is just pure ####.
My point is my dog was in alot of pain, My gut said Caroline get him that surgery no matter what. But as you know after the surgery I once again was unsure if I did the right thing......
when I saw my dogs pain and was not sure if I could help him overcome it.

I wish you strength and peace and good health no matter what the outcome.
Please keep us posted.
Caroline
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

If you don't need the gabapentin compounded, it should be pretty cheap. It's widely used & generic; chances are you'll have to get it from the human store, which may make it cheaper. It could even be on the Wal-Mart $4 list; I don't know.