Priapism

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
rookiemum

Priapism

Post by rookiemum »

Hi, I've been posting on the Paralysis board, but now my Bailey has a new problem, he constantly has an erection. Before this happened he was able to hold his urine (mostly, he would squirt a little on the way to the door), but
since this problem started he is leaking urine almost all the time.
He doesn't seem to be in pain and I am able to express him. I found a little bit of information on the Internet about the erection problem (its called Priapism). Has anyone else had this happen with their dog? Does it cause any problems? The information I found was kind of mixed.

I've been using a wrap with a Poise pad, but he moves around a lot so it doesn't always work. I may try something else, the diaper chart gave me a few ideas.

Its going to be getting cold here soon. I haven't given him a bath in the tub yet, I've just been doing it with buckets and a hose in the yard. What is the best way to keep a large dog (Bailey is about 65 lbs) clean? I'm afraid he may freak out if I try to put him in the tub. I tried some waterless bathing wipes, but I wasn't real impressed.

Pam
Dianne

Re: Priapism

Post by Dianne »

...but since this problem started he is leaking urine almost all the time
I think what you are describing is a a very full bladder that can cause the appearance of an erection. My dog appears like that when his bladder is very full, after a long night. After expressing, the pe*is appearance will be more normal.

You may consider expressing more often. The opening (os) of the sheath will sometimes relax and allow the the pee pee to hyperextend from an over full bladder.

That's my experience with this issue.

D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm. I don't think it's terribly unusual to have priapism in human males with SCI. Have you done any research on the human end of it as to what it means, treatments, etc?
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

I don't think it's terribly unusual to have priapism in human males with SCI. Have you done any research on the human end of it as to what it means, treatments, etc?
That is a good idea, I will have to look into that.

I left him out today after work, fed him, and when I came out later he had cut or scratched himself somehow and was bleeding. I grabbed a handful of tissues and put pressure on it for about 5 minutes and it stopped. I wrapped him back up, but I don't think I should leave him wrapped up constantly, that can't be good.

I don't think its because his bladder is full. Wouldn't it get better after I expressed him if that was the cause? I read constipation can cause priapism also, but he isn't contipated any longer.

What I would like to know is does this get any better, or will he be like this the rest of his life? I am afraid he is going to get an infection/or seriously injure himself. He loves to be out in the yard, I don't want to keep him inside all the time because he might get hurt. :(

Pam
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

This topic is updated in the following thread.

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10910&p=63931