wow u guys rock! have ? about cp7

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
lam.33

wow u guys rock! have ? about cp7

Post by lam.33 »

love love love this site! wish i could have found u guys earlier its been long road alone. i have a partly paralized dog & have tried many things. i found little info on this new cp7 & it sounds awsome. my vet found out they are doing study at purde unv. & is trying to get more info for me. has anyone tried this or know anything about anyone who has? i look forward to hearing your thoughts.
CarolC

Re: wow u guys rock! have ? about cp7

Post by CarolC »

Let's see...it's not really new. Let me see if I can find some information....if I type CP7 in the search box I get 66 matches. The best thing I can suggest would be to do a search here with the search box at the top of the screen and read what people say. I do not remember anyone who tried it reporting back that it made a big difference. I just tried a search in the IVIS database and it does not come up at all. Can you explain more about your dog's condition?

:whale:
lam.33

Post by lam.33 »

thanks, i guess i just want to always make sure i do no harm. i dont mind trying things that might not help, i just dont ever want to set him backwards.

ok so hear goes, sorry not more info in first post i was not even sure i was doing it right (posting i am comp.dummy) so i didnt want to go long. my 100lb. now 11yr lab last year fell just walking one nite & let out a terrible yelp. i rushed him to the er as it was around 9pm. er doc said look neur. nothing he could do but give pain injec. & call my vet in morning. i did just that to which my vet said he needs scan & to see a neuro dr. so blaze & i headed to chicago 4-5 hrs away. after a week of constant ups & downs blaze had surgery, surgery that gave me & the drs little hope. blaze was diagnosed type 2 ivdd lesion at l7-s1 & had a dorsal laminectomy on 10/31/07. he also was diagnosed with c5-c6, c6-c7 moderate type dynamic type lesions.

its hard to believe it is almost 1yr ago. boy am i glad i didnt let drs or my family talk me out of doing it, though the were many times i questioned myself. i am not a rich person & it has at times seemed overwelming. i have a great boyfriend & he has a heathy teenage boy who have been able to help with lifting. thank you God.

i have so much respect for you guys who do it all alone, wow. to tell you all the things i have learned, all the ups & downs would take pages. so i will tell you where we are today. he walks!!!!! it took a long time, btw much longer than any dr, pt, or acuptr. vet told me i should wait. it was around 6-7 month mark. dont get me wrong he is not running around back yard, but he walks slowly & sometimes unsteadly around the house. we still take him outside with sling to walk, as he has a verrrry protective mom who does not want him falling. when he is in the sling though i would say he does most the work,sometimes on way home he tires & drags left leg (thats the worse one of the two).

just recently i have noticed he seems to be getting tired quicker & some noisey breathing. i know he is 11 but he has the heart of a pup. he is on alot of supplements, but off all scrips. i was looking for something to help with back legs maybe that wasnt a "nsaid" or pain med his stomach does not do well with either. thats when i found a little on cp7 & wondered. i am going to go through those searches & see what i can find thanks. you guys are so insprational, like i said before wish i would have found you a year ago!
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 081629.htm

Are you talking about the Purdue Paralysis research with polyethelene glycol (PEG)? It was done in 2004.
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

[quote][/quote]just recently i have noticed he seems to be getting tired quicker
I would recommend making your walks shorter, i could not believe with my dog there would be a day he would walk less, and he did. We took shorter walks in the end he could only walk in the yard.
He could have arthritis disfomfort, who knows.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Boy, that is a real success story. You took a 10-year old dog and got him surgery. You nursed a 100-lb dog for 7 months before he could walk. You help him with a sling every time you take him for a walk so he doesn't fall. You are the inspiration!

I agree with puremutt about shorter walks. Puremutt, didn't you say your dog was helped a lot by Doggone Pain? I have not tried it, but it is not a prescription and a lot of people here have said it helped their older dog.

I don't really have any suggestions, except that maybe you could consider taking him in to his regular vet to have them listen to his heart and do blood tests to see if anything is out of the ordinary. The tiredness may be normal at his age but I'm not sure about the breathing, I think that is something I'd want to find out about.

What a great story! :trophy:
lam.33

Post by lam.33 »

thank you for the kind words. blaze inspires me what a trooper he has been. i will check out the doggone. i agree about breathing & am planning to take him to vet soon. i have a 13yr old rottie mix who has recently been diagnosed with polymyositis. long story short got to spread check around. life right? lol anyway about breathing its not all the time only when overdoes it walking or when he gets worked up at meal time. it quickly goes away when he calms down. we tried shorting walk tonight, he was not happy layed down & pouted & would not head home. ithink maybe we will let him go as far as he wants then one of us can come back & get car & bring him back home. he only walks a few blocks some times only a couple so it shouldnt be a problem. he is worth it! i am going to get the kid to put couple of pics up of him. i am not computer savy but learning.
about the study at purdue i am unsure my vet told me about that. i am going to look about that peg study though. thanks.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

CP7: http://www.dogparalysis.com/research.html (Dr. Khouri)

We are very wary of this research and method of treatment. If it were so great then all of the docs would be using it. It would be wonderful if there were a silver bullet, but personally, I'd avoid this and I have a paralyzed dog.
renea09

Post by renea09 »

I contacted Dr. Khouri about this treatment last January when our retriever, Keegan, suffered her FCE. I too was wary when he responded by wanting me to open up a shipping account for them to access to ship a bottle to me. It all seemed a bit shady, so I never replied, and thankfully found Dr. Ava Frick in Union, Missiouri, for Keegs' rehab. 10 months post FCE Keegan is walking and improving each month. She's just starting to get her bladder and bowels back! A rigorous exercise program and electric therapy with an Alpha-Stim unit, combined with lots of love of course, seemed to be an effective treatment for her.