Urgent advice needed for incontinent Manx!

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
jillo1013

Urgent advice needed for incontinent Manx!

Post by jillo1013 »

My family adopted a stray no tail Manx in October, 2007. Bo was a active kitty and super sweet. The first of problems appeared within a couple of months. At that time, the vet determined him to be around 7 months old. Bo lived outside, so we didn't notice issues with his bowels or bladder. We had him neutered in March, 2008. Only in recent months has he begun to have serious issues with incontinence.

As of now, he has been to the vet multiple times for failing to relieve himself. It has been determined that his stopped up colon puts pressure on it, so he can't express. Each time he is seen, the doctor administers an enema, and once he is cleaned out, his bladder operates regularly. Problem is, he immediately gets constipated and the cycle repeats. It has only been a few days since his last visit, and he is back with the same issue. He will need to be seen today.

We have discussed putting him down, and the vet understands. Bo is miserable. However, we are distressed, because it seems a shame to lose a sweet cat at such an early age. I need some advice on what we can do to get his B/B working regularly, as we are constantly taking him to the vet. Costs are driving up, as you can imagine. The only treatment we have been doing is 1ML lactulose a couple times a day and Baytril each time he has been, which he is currently on. Just this last episode last week, his urine was bloodier than I have ever seen it, and we only see small hard balls, despite the lactulose.

Is there anyone out there with this same issue and how have you been able to overcome.
Thanks,
Jill
CarolC

Re: Urgent advice needed for incontinent Manx!

Post by CarolC »

Lactulose is something you can fine-tune. It sounds like you need to be giving him more. I would ask the vet for a small syringe so you can measure it exactly, you're going to want to be precise. With lactulose, and measuring it exactly right, you can get any quality of stools you want and with consistent results. I assume you are feeding him canned food and not dry. If he is getting dry food I would switch him to canned.

You can do enemas at home. I know they say it is better to do it in the vet's office because it is a mess and cat's don't like the procedure, but you CAN do it at home. My aunt (a very stylish woman) gave her cat an enema twice a week for years. She and my uncle took him to the garage, spread the Wall Street Journal on the car, and gave it there.

There is a medication that increases intestinal motility. It is called Propulsid (cisapride). I would try that rather than put him down.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/cisapride.html

In addition, giving sub-q fluids can help these cats, and this is something else you can do at home. I have a cat I am giving fluids to twice a day for another condition, it is not that much trouble and takes very little time. If you want links on that, please let me know.

There is a technique that you can learn if you cat is fairly calm. You can learn to manually massage the colon to move feces along toward the exit. It is especially easy if he is not overweight. You simply cup his abdomen with your hand in a lobster claw and reach up on both sides with your fingertips and squeeze. You can learn to feel the colon (it will probably feel "harder" than you expect) and by squeezing you can actually break the feces into sections and help it move toward the exit. If you see some in his anus that is not coming out, you may be able to get it out by putting on a latex glove, dipping your finger in vaseline and reaching in and sweeping it out. Some people would cringe at the idea, it really isn't that bad.

They can do surgery for megacolon. What they do is simply remove the section of colon that has enlarged. Afterward, your cat will probably need to go to the litterbox more often but he will not block like he has been doing.

I hope something in this message helps.
Lynne Logan

Post by Lynne Logan »

This might not be a solution with the other more elaborate things you've tried. But, I have an 11 year old Persian with deteriorated discs. It's progressed to the point where she's totally lame in the rear end, has problems with bowel movements and is incontinent.
Her vet suggested flax seed oil for her back issues before she went lame and I discovered I had to use it sparingly due to it's laxative effect. Now that she's wearing diapers and I have to "coax" her to have a bowel movement, the FSO is a great help. The price is right too.
Another big cost saver is to use size one (or newborn on smaller cats) baby diapers. On a Manx you wouldn't even have to cut a hole for the tail. Put them on with the tabs over the back.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:strobe: jillo & Lynne!

Jillo, you've gotten some great info; nothing I can add to it.
jillo1013

Post by jillo1013 »

Yes, that was good advice. Unfortunately, our Bo was found dead last Thursday. We are not sure if he ruptured or not. His death is suspicious, but because of the health problems, it's hard to say. We are sadden by his loss.
It was certainly a challenge keeping a handicapped pet, so my heart goes out to everyone who faces different issues daily.

Since our other 2 kitties are relatively healthy, I do not anticpate visiting this board, but thank you for your help with Bo.

Jill
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm sorry for your loss, Jill. :cry:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Jillo1013, I am sorry it worked out that way. It may be the bladder infection went to the kidneys, I don't know. I'm sorry for your loss. :candle:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:welcomepink: Lynne. I hope you will stay around. I am imagining having a cat with such long hair in diapers, it must keep you busy. Your cat is lucky to have you. I will bookmark your message, it may be just the tip someone needs.
jillo1013

Post by jillo1013 »

Thank you all for your condolences.
Jill
Lynne Logan

Post by Lynne Logan »

I'm so sorry Jill. I've been anticipating the loss of Shadow since her vet had "the talk" with me last Nov. We thought her bladder infections were too chronic in addition to her worsening lameness. Thanks to Baytril that issue has been resolved. Even though she gets around like a little seal, she's a bright eyed healthy kitty.
For anyone dealing with pet pain, if you haven't tried Metacam, please do! It's been a miracle drug for Shadow.
As for the long fur, Shadow has a "butt cutt" so I'm able to keep her clean. I think the professional term is hygienic clip. I'd recommend this for even short haired cats in diapers, since their skin is so tender. I use baby wipes at diaper changes and bathe her bottom once a week.