HELP! I have a Mynah Bird with splayed legs and curled toes

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
nicole t

HELP! I have a Mynah Bird with splayed legs and curled toes

Post by nicole t »

Hello,

I am a new member to this site. I found this site as I was looking for information for my baby mynah bird that can not stand (splayed legs) and has curled toes. I am trying to care for it becuase I found it outside. I have the bird on soft bedding in a little container. His legs seem to be staying under the body. Attached is a picture of the little one. I am writing to see if there is anything I can do to to help make the birds legs stronger or if there is anything to help his feet become "usable" Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Nicole
Attachments
Baby Mynah Bird
Baby Mynah Bird
critters
Founding Member

Re: HELP! I have a Mynah Bird with splayed legs and curled toes

Post by critters »

:gang: I'd check out the bazillions of posts below about birds and ducks with splayed legs; it seems to be quite common, and some people offered ideas to help fix the legs into a more usable position.
Inmemoryofsebastian

Re: HELP! I have a Mynah Bird with splayed legs and curled toes

Post by Inmemoryofsebastian »

Hello,

I think you should find a rehab in your area for the baby bird and take it there, that would be the best thing to do.....in the mean time you can feed it Kaytee Exact baby bird hand feeding formula.....

Sharon
doveluv

Re: HELP! I have a Mynah Bird with splayed legs and curled t

Post by doveluv »

Hi! I am currently caring for two ringneck doves with severely splayed legs. Unfortunately, it was impossible to correct the legs of either bird when they were babies. My avian vet said that unless the legs are treated within 5-7 days of hatching, the likelihood of successful treatment is very minimal. The good news is that most birds have a strong survival instinct and will try to adapt to life with their crippled legs. One of my birds has been able to get around on a carpeted flight cage for most of his 3 years. He recently has declined in the use of his legs and I am fitting him with a device I invented which I call the "Birdstand." My other dove, Jill, has spent her days in the Birdstand since she was a baby. She will be 7 years old in September! The Birdstand is a simple device I made that holds the bird's body up and relieves any pressure on their legs or feet. It should be used only when the bird is unable to hold itself up anymore or cannot move around to access food and water. The Birdstand enables the bird to be in an upright position, look around their environment and feed themselves. They can reposition themselves and move their wings up and down, but they cannot fly in the Birdstand. If you find that your little bird's legs do not improve and he is unable to get around to feed himself, you can post here and I will let you know how to make a temporary Birdstand to see if that will help. Good luck!
Inmemoryofsebastian

Post by Inmemoryofsebastian »

The bird looks like a starling, my advice to you would be to locate a rehab for this bird in your area, some people use devices to help with the curled toes to straighten it out, I don't know how much experience you have caring for a baby bird that's why I recommend rehab, in the mean time please make sure you buy some Kaytee exact baby bird formular and mix it with water till it's creamy and feed the bird, what city do you live in...

sharon
maprov1

Post by maprov1 »

I have a baby dove that I took to my avian vet. She has a dislocated knee but the vet is having me work with her to do aome physical therapy to hopefully improve the little one's ability to perch and hopefully get his/her legs beneath him/her. We are on vitamins and a pelleted diet now. I am praying it improves as his legs sound like your mynah bird. Working on the ability to open up the feet to be able to perch.

Every vet aeems to have a different method helping theae guys so I would get him in to be seen.

I am interested in that stander.

My guy is sleeping now in a bix with a towel folded into a donut shape and in a cup shaped dish so his legs are able to be tucked in closer go his body. We have a follow up viait next Friday.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: maprov1.